FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Epiphany Day of Obligation in US?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Neither my Tan Calendar nor FSSP liturgical Calendar indicate Epiphany as a day of obligation, but SSPX says it is?
The Feast of the Epiphany in the United States has been transferred to the first Sunday after January 1.
The Epiphany is not a day of obligation in the U.S.

It is in the Universal Church, but it has never been of obligation in the U.S.

Instead in the U.S. we've kept the Octave of the Nativity (aka Circumcision or Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God) is a holy day of obligation, whereas it is not obligatory in the Universal Church.
(01-05-2017, 12:19 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]The Feast of the Epiphany in the United States has been transferred to the first Sunday after January 1.

In the calendar for the Novus Ordo, it has been so transferred, but this makes no sense.

It has never been of obligation, so there is no reason to move it.

In the calendar used by the older rite, Epiphany is Friday, Jan 6.
(01-05-2017, 12:20 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]The Epiphany is not a day of obligation in the U.S.  It is in the Universal Church, but it has never been of obligation in the U.S.

The statement is correct for U.S. Latin Rite Catholics but incorrect as to U.S. Greek Catholics.  I am in the U.S., and Epiphany is a holy day of obligation for Byzantine Catholics here. 

My family and I will be attending liturgy on Friday. 
(01-05-2017, 12:20 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]The Epiphany is not a day of obligation in the U.S.

Instead in the U.S. we've kept the Octave of the Nativity (aka Circumcision or Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God) is a holy day of obligation, whereas it is not obligatory in the Universal Church.

Not to sound ignorant, but does this mean that individual nations can choose certain days of obligation?  Huh?
(01-05-2017, 08:22 AM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]Not to sound ignorant, but does this mean that individual nations can choose certain days of obligation?  Huh?

That's correct.

Example:  In Ireland, Saint Patrick's Day is a Day of Obligation.
Theoretically, a diocese could have its own days of obligation. That might require approval of the Holy See, but it could happen.
Thank You for the clarifications
(01-05-2017, 12:20 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]The Epiphany is not a day of obligation in the U.S.

I can remember a time when the Feast of the Epiphany was a holy day of obligation in the US.
Pages: 1 2