FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: BREAKING: Malta’s bishops allow civilly remarried divorcees to receive Communion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
                                                      MALTA, January 13, 2017 (LifeSiteNews) – The bishops of Malta have given the green light to divorced and civilly remarried Catholics in their dioceses to receive Communion if they are “at peace with God.”

The bishops say it might be “humanly impossible” to follow Church teaching and live chastely while civilly remarried, a requirement for receiving the Eucharist in this situation. https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/breaki...eceive-com

I don't have the slightest doubt regarding what's now taking place in the church.
(01-14-2017, 02:36 PM)Eric F Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have the slightest doubt regarding what's now taking place in the church.

Apostasy among bishops.  What appears to be Catholic to most people is not Catholic.  It will come to the United States soon.  Soon, dioceses will be saying different things.  What will be permitted in one diocese will not be permitted in others.  These days should serve to remind us once again that we are followers of Jesus Christ, no one else.  Maybe that seems strange for a Catholic to say, since much of contemporary Catholic apologetics has been devoted to defending the authority of the papacy, but Pope Francis will not judge us.  Pope Francis will be judged by the same person who judges us.
                                                            It's already here in the US with the likes of Cupich and McElroy.
I sure hope whatever pope is finally willing to appoint good bishops will be tough enough to get rid of the bad ones. Many of the problems in the Church wouldn't be problems today had John Paul II and Benedict XVI been willing to remove faithless bishops rather than just wait until they retire.  I've said before that sometimes very devout people, in their efforts to avoid the sin of rash judgment, are way too quick to put their confidence in people who should not be trusted.
(01-14-2017, 07:57 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]I sure hope whatever pope is finally willing to appoint good bishops will be tough enough to get rid of the bad ones. Many of the problems in the Church wouldn't be problems today had John Paul II and Benedict XVI been willing to remove faithless bishops rather than just wait until they retire.  I've said before that sometimes very devout people, in their efforts to avoid the sin of rash judgment, are way too quick to put their confidence in people who should not be trusted.

With everything this pope has said and done, there is zero chance of this happening. This stuff if Malta is stuff that would be endorsed by Francis if not publicly, than at least in private.
Dr. Edward Peters's analysis of this disaster is pretty good:

https://canonlawblog.wordpress.com/2017/...-disaster/

https://canonlawblog.wordpress.com/2017/...ia-urgent/

He even admits in the latter post that things have reached a "crisis level."
(01-14-2017, 06:42 PM)Eric F Wrote: [ -> ]                                                            It's already here in the US with the likes of Cupich and McElroy.
Now Cardinal Cupich, head of the Congregation for Bishops. God help us.
This type of blanket opening goes in contradiction to what Amoris Laetitia says. 
(01-16-2017, 12:46 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]This type of blanket opening goes in contradiction to what Amoris Laetitia says.
The problem is that very few people are clear on what Amoris Laetitia truly says, hence the Dubia. You have the, "We must now be 'pastoral' and handle these cases on an individual basis" prelates, ie the Kasper proposal in action, and you have the, "Jesus spoke out against adultery and he was clear on how to handle these cases" prelates who find the document unclear, like Cardinal Burke.
(01-16-2017, 12:46 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]This type of blanket opening goes in contradiction to what Amoris Laetitia says.
Read Dr. Peters's analysis. From his perspective, the very fact that it's ambiguous whether the bishops' document goes against Amoris Laetitia is one of the core problems with that exhortation.
Pages: 1 2