FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: E. Michael Jones and Michael Voris
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I watched the first 20-ish minutes of the video, then gave up as I failed to see any point.  Voris' past has no impact on me, and his work at CM seems legit.  As others have stated, we all have our past sins and current struggles, so if Voris is struggling with SSA, but keeping faithful to the Church's teachings, how is that an issue?  Perhaps praying for him would be better than slinging rocks...
I don't know anything about this book or about Mr. Voris (but if he is a truly repentant deviant what's the issue?  ???)  but I do know EMJ certainly causes lots of controversy when he opens his mouth! Some people have trouble hearing the truth.  :LOL:
I think the whole idea is that his past sins shape his actions today. That the wounds from his past instead of being properly healed lead to a narcissism where it's all about him and his fantasy of being a crusader hero of the Church which leads to his attacks on various people and the style that he has. Stuff like that. It's a somewhat interesting conversation, but overall not worth wasting an hour on.
(01-18-2017, 05:23 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]I think the whole idea is that his past sins shape his actions today. That the wounds from his past instead of being properly healed lead to a narcissism where it's all about him and his fantasy of being a crusader hero of the Church which leads to his attacks on various people and the style that he has. Stuff like that. It's a somewhat interesting conversation, but overall not worth wasting an hour on.

That's kind of how I thought.  They said some interesting things, but I wasn't sure it was going to be worth the hour.  I still might have listened to it, because I have followed that story closely and wanted to see what their take on it was.  He lost me though when he said Mother Angelica was a narcissist.  Honestly, what was the point of that?  Mother Angelica had her flaws, and I'm sure they were quite clear to those who knew her in the monastery.  She had a rough background, the kind that leaves some pretty bad scars sometimes.  It's miraculous that she even kept her faith at all.  What's impressive to me is that she didn't need the Church to become more like the world to be more accessible to people like her.  She needed the Church to be what it was supposed to be- nothing more.  She is an example of how God can reach down to us in our brokenness and call us to great things.  Mother Angelica did great things for God and for mankind in her life.

(01-18-2017, 12:45 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really care that Voris was formerly homosexual or bisexual (it wasn't made clear in his video which it really was). It really has no bearing on my feeling for him or CM. I stopped watching CM well before that all came out, but I still go there occasionally when things are kind of slow in the Catholic news world since they tend to report on stuff that I don't find in some other places.  Either way, my opinion of CM changed when they started charging for all of their content except Vortex and started an unnecessary attack on the SSPX while never saying a peep about what has been the most controversial Pope in maybe the history of the church or at least since Trent (and that's saying a lot).

Voris just said he was confused about his sexuality.  I wouldn't call that being a homosexual or a bisexual person.  I would just call it being confused about one's sexuality.  Loneliness, anger, fear, and a lack of commitment to virtue can lead people into lifestyles that they don't exactly want, but that seems to numb the pain of whatever is going on.  This, plus our culture's abandonment of the idea of authentic male friendship (see St. Aelred of Rievaulx's book "Christian Friendship") can lead men who need other male friends to confuse what is an emotional need with a sexual one.

I enjoyed some of the old Church Militant premium shows.  They've also had some VERY good interviews.  Their interviews with Dr. Alice von Hildebrand and Mother Miriam (Rosalind Moss) are each worth a month's premium subscription just to see those.  I also like the show they do every day, the Download.  They point out stuff that's going on in the Church that I need to be aware of.  They also guide me toward good books about theology and spirituality that I might want to buy and read.  They warned me about the ALPHA program, and a few other gimmicks like that.  They also point out when bishops say and do inappropriate things, so I know to be cautious about trusting what those bishops have to say.  They warned me about Dolan, Wuerl, and a few others whose questionable decisions I might not have noticed because of a reputation they once had for orthodoxy.  I don't mind paying for that.  It's just $10 a month, and I've spent a lot more money in much less wholesome ways, so I figure I'll spend $10 a month on Church Militant.
I used to subscribe to CM, but I stopped around the time of the SSPX mess. I took my money to the Remnant even though I don't get anything out of it (I subscribed to the e-edition for a while, but noticed that I'd always forget to read it). The Remnant also isn't as popular as CM, so they need the money more considering how much top notch content they put out (even if it's less frequent). I'd rather donate to a site in order to keep their content free for everyone than a site that's going to charge to keep their content so exclusive. I look at examples from many sites Catholic and not that keep their shows free, but either get donations to keep going or sell products on the side (e.g., Info Wars).

Some of their old premium shows are good, but they pretty much got to the point where they stopped making them.  Mic'd Up used to be their free show each week that did a great job covering the current events, they also used to stream it live. They instead decided to make it a premium show which I assume they've abandoned for The Download now. The whole change over from the old CMTV to the new and improved CM with their new hip look and hosts and trying to make it so premium and exclusive just rubbed me wrong.
I like how they talk about "Gossipers".  :eyeroll:

Now granted, I hate how the word homophobe is thrown around these days, but these guy truly fit the bill!

So all who have struggled with SSA should be banished to serve out their penance as hermits since they are no longer fit for mingling in society?!

Disclosing tragic personal stories about Voris with such malicious glee is despicable, regardless of how you feel about him or his apostolate.

Dr. Jones seems to have a rather pompous attitude himself.  What is his story?  Is he married?  No ring...

God has used repentant (and repenting) sinners for his work throughout history.

As Peter Kreeft has pointed out, it's a win for Satan when he can get the believers of the world fighting each other rather than him.

On the other hand...
I'm not sure it's a good idea for MV to be mentoring young men and the website does overdo it's policy of removing all comments with dissenting opinions.
Don't forget about supporting FishEaters. See the upper right corner of this page for a donation link. You can subscribe to make a recurring monthly donation.
Pages: 1 2