FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: An Impossible Question, but ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dear Fishies,

I am with a question that is impossible to answer but on which the fate of the Church (or even the world) would seem to hang ...

Whilst the question itself is impossible to answer, I would value any indications or thoughts that seem in any way relevant.

Here is the question: will the reign of Pope Francis be short (say around 5 years) or considerably longer?

For if the reign is short, there is a very good chance the next Pope will be either a real "backlash" to someone very orthodox (a la Pell) or at least to someone in the mould of St. John Paul II (a la Dolan - who I think has a real chance, a la Wojtyla in 1978, of being a compromise candidate  between conservative and liberal factions).

So, figuratively, one might think either: Pope Pius XIII or JP III ... (And for what it's worth, I think Dolan was real in signing the letter of the 13 Cardinals. Whatever his failings, he is not Kaspar or Tagle.)

But, if the reign goes on another 5 years (10 years?) the Conclave will likely be so changed by then that we have to think of someone like Tagle, say, becoming Pope Francis II.

And Tagle is relatively young. It cannot be excluded that we would then have a twenty year reign of Pope Francis II to complete the work of his predecessor. Sorry if I give anyone here nightmares ...

Anyway, I remain very interested in Pope Francis' early indications that his reign might be short - thus ending in the next year or so. But I don't think he's said anything lately, has he?

What do people think? Did the Pope really mean it when he spoke of a short four to five year reign which would end then by Spring 2018?

Or are there any other reasons to think this?

And indeed has said anything lately to support this prediction he made?

Yes, the question IS impossible to answer  Smile.  And, while it might be interesting or fun to speculate about what might occur if this rather than that or that rather than this were to happen, that's pretty much all it is--speculation.  Seems to me it's pretty much (completely??) out of our hands, so...why not sit back, enjoy the ride, be here now,  and work out our own salvation as best we can?
I have no idea, and really try not to think about it.  I just pray for him quit making confusing statements.

(01-19-2017, 02:49 PM)J Michael Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, the question IS impossible to answer  Smile.  And, while it might be interesting or fun to speculate about what might occur if this rather than that or that rather than this were to happen, that's pretty much all it is--speculation.  Seems to me it's pretty much (completely??) out of our hands, so...why not sit back, enjoy the ride, be here now,  and work out our own salvation as best we can?

Nah.  That makes too much sense. Sticking tongue out at you

(01-19-2017, 03:03 PM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea, and really try not to think about it.  I just pray for him quit making confusing statements.

(01-19-2017, 02:49 PM)J Michael Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, the question IS impossible to answer  Smile.  And, while it might be interesting or fun to speculate about what might occur if this rather than that or that rather than this were to happen, that's pretty much all it is--speculation.  Seems to me it's pretty much (completely??) out of our hands, so...why not sit back, enjoy the ride, be here now,  and work out our own salvation as best we can?

Hey...someone's gotta do it (make sense) every once in a while.  Might as well be yours truly! LOL Shocked
(01-19-2017, 03:20 PM)J Michael Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2017, 03:03 PM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea, and really try not to think about it.  I just pray for him quit making confusing statements.

Hey...someone's gotta do it (make sense) every once in a while.  Might as well be yours truly! LOL Shocked

Are you sure it was your turn todayHuh?
(01-19-2017, 04:16 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2017, 03:20 PM)J Michael Wrote: [ -> ]

Are you sure it was your turn todayHuh?

You betcha! LOL
It's impossible to say for sure. I don't think there'll new any backlash worse than a sort of John Paul II type figure, a man who, lest we forget was positively liberal on many issues.  A Pope Tagle,Dolan or Pell would all lead in the same direction of further solidifying Vatican II and the new normal,only the cosmetic facade would differ.  Personally I don't see a way back towards a robust orthodoxy and orthopraxis outside individual chapels,monasteries and homes as moving forward at anything more than a snails pace as being possible.

The one major game changer could be what happens in Europe during the coming 5 years or so as regards the massive influx of Muslims.  Don't think for a second some of them won't target the Pope and Vatican City and don't think for a second that the random slaughter of European citizens and the defacing of churches won't continue.  Perhaps a resurgent orthodoxy and a strong papacy with orthodox sympathies will arise in light of some grand terrorist attack or assassination.  There's nothing like a real tragedy and a cataclysm to bring people together.
That's the scary part of the mess we're in. The next conclave could elect an orthodox prelate like Cardinal Arinze (I believe he was a papabile when Benedict was elected) or a heterodox one like Cardinal Cupich, and my mind doesn't want to process the thought of Cardinal Cupich becoming Pope.
A Dolan papacy would be interesting. I think he's more orthodox than people give him credit for. The AD of NY has quite a lot of Latin Masses and is pretty liberal with allowing them (although he's never been involved with any). He even allowed a recent Latin Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral recently. Also many seminarians are coming out either being well versed in the Latin Mass or at least having an appreciation for it. I used to see seminarians at the Latin Mass I went to when I lived in NY. His major flaw is that he is also very weak when it comes to the issues. We all know about Michael Voris' crusade against him for the homosexual stuff and his complete silence during the NY State homosexual marriage vote.
I think we should remember the promise that Jesus made to Peter. "Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church. And the gates of Hell shall not prevail against thee."
Later on before he ascended into Heaven He said, "Lo, I shall be with you until the end of time."
Pages: 1 2