FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Let's Daydream I: Catholic Country
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let's mentally build a Catholic country! Let's make it in a place with all four seasons, with the sea nearby.

Take the United States, make it the size of, say, France, and use that as a starting point -- adding, subtracting, and changing things from there...

How would it be different from your typical modern Western country? How would it be similar?

What would the country's laws include?

What holidays would the country honor -- and how?

What would daily life be like in the Catholic country of your dreams?

What would the aesthetics be like?

Who would you not want living there -- and how would you prevent their doing so?

How would you handle matters of religious tolerance and cultural and ethnic diversity?

What would its form of government look like?

What sort of money system would you have in place?

How would education be handled?

What sorts of government programs, if any, would there be?

What would its flag look like? What would its symbols be? What would its anthem be like?

What would you name it?
(01-26-2017, 09:01 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Let's mentally build a Catholic country! Let's make it in a place with all four seasons, with the sea nearby.

Take the United States, make it the size of, say, France, and use that as a starting point -- adding, subtracting, and changing things from there...

How would it be different from your typical modern Western country? How would it be similar?

I'd want to see a slower pace of life.  Get rid of this rush rush rush of modern capitalism.  Something like what I hear about Costa Rica, where people take their time and enjoy being alive.

Quote:What would the country's laws include?

Well, for starters, circumcision would be banned unless medically necessary!  Expanding upon that, it would be good to have a legal understanding of life that spans conception to actual death that is based on biology, not subjectively-determined viability, and the sanctity of not just being alive, but normal, healthy body parts as God designed them are always protected.

Quote:What holidays would the country honor -- and how?

I think we should keep Thanksgiving.  National holiday from Wednesday afternoon through Sunday.  I also think it would be nice if everything closed down, government and businesses, everything but the essentials, from Christmas Eve through Epiphany.  It would give time for people to relax, enjoy the solemnities and time to visit family and friends that they may not get to see regularly.  It would also be cool if most businesses were closed on Sundays.  And then also around Easter.  Maybe from the evening of Holy Wednesday, through DM Sunday/Thomas Sunday.  The entirety of the week after Easter everything shuts down and is a big celebration!

And then seasonal festivals, not so much as national holidays, but maybe a weekend around the turn of the seasons to celebrate the wheel of the year, have bonfires, harvesty-stuff, go camping, have cook-outs, etc.  Like Memorial Day, the 4th of July or Labor Day, just not tied to nationalism.

Quote:Who would you not want living there -- and how would you prevent their doing so?

I like that we're welcoming to everybody.  I don't want that to change.  In a Catholic country, it should probably be understood that Catholicism would hold supremacy, and that non-Catholics will not have the right to have their religion treated as equal in a public fashion.

Quote:How would you handle matters of religious tolerance and cultural and ethnic diversity?

Everyone can freely practice whichever religion they choose.  They will be allowed to have days off for their holy days.  Catholicism cannot be forced on anyone.  Any cultural trait is welcome and Catholicism can adapt itself to it, as long as morality is not compromised in doing so.

Quote:What would its form of government look like?

As free and libertarian as possible.  No such thing as victimless crimes.  Anything that can be handled by a smaller level of government is done so there and the next higher step has no authority over it.  If the state govt can handle it adequately, hands off feds!  If the county can handle it, hands off state!  Municipality over county, family over municipality.  It doesn't go up to the next highest level until the lower level begins to break down on capability to address it.

Quote:How would education be handled?

As local as possible, with a common core of what is necessary for people to move around and not be held back by it.

Quote:What sorts of government programs, if any, would there be?

Things that make it easier to support life.  Paid maternity and paternity leave; health care and education for children - they had no choice in being brought into this world - and food, housing, utility, health assistance for low income people who truly need the help, with better means of screening out the people who don't truly need it.

Quote:What would its flag look like? What would its symbols be? What would its anthem be like?

Something with the sun on it.  Akin to the flag of Macedonia or Kazakhstan.  Perhaps with a Chi Rho in the center of the sun.

Quote:What would you name it?

Jesusstan isn't flattering.  How about the Great Republic of the All-Venerable Pascha as an official name?  Allvenia for short?
(01-26-2017, 09:01 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Let's mentally build a Catholic country! Let's make it in a place with all four seasons, with the sea nearby.

Who would you not want living there -- and how would you prevent their doing so?

How would you handle matters of religious tolerance and cultural and ethnic diversity?

What would its flag look like? What would its symbols be? What would its anthem be like?

What would you name it?

Similarity to West: I'd imagine it would be similar in many ways

Laws: They would be similar to what is put up in Aristotle's De Politica. Basically, life and virtue would be enshrined and all laws would be made to maximize those two things.

Holidays: All Holy Days of Obligation, along with a few nationalist Holidays. The main Feasts like Christmas and Easter would have 2 days off before and after it. There would be a state endorsed Mass in the Capital, along with obviously ones in all the parishes.

Daily life: labor, along with Church attendance being common

Form of government: Elected monarchy where the monarch chooses the electors with a constitution dictating certain more basic things as to defend rights. The pope would crown the King and the Conference of Bishops would have veto power. All government officials would have to be Catholics.

Money system: central bank issuing currency stamped by the treasury, usury would be illegal. Bankers would have to be practicing Catholics.

Aesthetics: Classical and Baroque mainly. Classical Government buildings with central chapels. Sky scrapers and such for private building, including regular houses and apartments. Cities would be planned for religious symbolism.

Immigration: no mass immigration would exist and immigration would only be legal for people doing so for reasons of love, not for reasons of money or liking the country. 

Religion: only Catholic churches would exist though private worship of any religion would be legal. Only the nation's language, Hebrew, Greek, and Latin would be taught and no other cultures would have a government place.

Education would be done by the Church in two forms, religious schools where all students would live like in a monastery, and secular ones where they would be like regular ones. They would learn theology, philosophy, history, Classics, and a trade.

Programs: all people would be guaranteed housing, food, clothing but not very good quality.

Symbols and name would be decided by what would be good.

Like Melkite said, protection of life from conception to natural death.

I like the idea of the important feasts having multiple days off.

In a lot of ways it wouldn't be that dissimilar to what it is now - daily Mass, having meaningful and reasonable work, time with family and friends. But because we're living in a bubble there wouldn't be the outside influences and distractions in our current society.

Beautiful. There would be room for "new art", but because the disposition of the society as a whole will be radically different than what exists currently, there won't be many people choosing to produce junk.

I agree with the idea that you can be free to live there even if you're not Catholic - but don't expect your religion, customs or opinions to be respected.

I think cultural and ethnic diversity can be a good thing, but like anything else too much of a good thing is destructive. But if the country is culturally Catholic, that is the culture of the universal Church is paramount and supreme, the details of diversity are welcome. As for a religious tolerance, the official state religion will be Catholicsm. If you don't like it, there are lots of other countries where you may live.

Small government, whatever form it takes. I like the idea of democracy in some form, and I actually kinda like the Canadian system of a constitutional monarchy, where our elected officials are ultimately answerable to the crown. Of course, in the idealized version the crown would actually have some weight, and not just a figurehead like it currently is.

Hard to answer, as it's difficult to envision anything other than what we currently have.

I would love to see compulsory education in it's current format done away with, replaced with a system of apprenticeships and work education. You know, like we used to do it before the government got involved.

I think social safety nets are important, but would that be the responsibility of the government or the Church? If the government is responsive to the authority of the Church and/or the crown, I would be okay with government doing some of it. But I would like to see people take as much responsibility for themselves and their immediate neighbours as possible. For example, we are heavily taxed here, and yet our family receives much of that tax back in the form of child benefits. Couldn't the government just not tax us as much?

I don't know, but I know music by the likes of Carey et al will be forbidden.

What would you name it?
Home. :)
I pretty much agree with Melkite.