FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Didn't know how to answer this
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
During a lunch conversation about going to church, my coworkers were talking about how they do/don't go to church.. conversation moved on somehow to the topic of going to confession, and since I was the only regular church goer, I was asked why they cant call the priest and confess, guess tgey are concerned about anonymity  or how one would go about examining their conscience if they hadn't been to confession in nearly 30 years... could they just say they probably broke all 10 commandments at some point over the years and start with a clean slate? I didn't want to discourage them, but the 'find a solid confessor' seemed a little trite... any good answers for me to share?? Not sure if they were serious, but I'd like to think my answer could inspire them to return to tge sacrament
If by calling you mean call and make an appointment to go to confession that would be ok. However calling and making your confession over the telephone would not qualify as a valid confession. The sacrament of confession must be celebrated in person. 
Are there any parishes nearby that still have the grille? If so, you could encourage them to go to that parish during their regular Confession hours. The priest wouldn't have any clue who they were and they would be able to get everything off their chest (and more importantly, off their soul).
When I hadn't been making regular confessions during my college years, I found it helpful when a priest suggested that I spend time writing down all the sins I could remember.  Then I took them to confession, read them, and ripped them up and threw them away afterward. :)

Another option is to make a copy of a good examen and simply check off the ones you need to confess.

What a liberating feeling!  What a bargain!  Free for goodness sake when it's $150 to see a psych!

Can't be beat! :)
I believe there's something called a general confession where the priest will ask the penitent a bunch of yes or no questions and then ask if they have anything else to add.  Either way, the priest will know how to handle it. They should have at least dealt with people who haven't been to confession in many years.
(01-27-2017, 11:29 AM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]I believe there's something called a general confession where the priest will ask the penitent a bunch of yes or no questions and then ask if they have anything else to add.  Either way, the priest will know how to handle it. They should have at least dealt with people who haven't been to confession in many years.

Yes, there is such a thing as a general confession, and the priest will walk you through it. My first confession as an adult, not having been raised in the Faith, was a general confession. The priest made it easy. Just tell them to truly consider all the sins they've committed in their lives, trying to remember as much as they can, resolve to sin no more, and go to a priest -- even if one from a parish they'd never visit again if it'd make it easier for them.

(01-27-2017, 01:37 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-27-2017, 11:29 AM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]I believe there's something called a general confession where the priest will ask the penitent a bunch of yes or no questions and then ask if they have anything else to add.  Either way, the priest will know how to handle it. They should have at least dealt with people who haven't been to confession in many years.

Yes, there is such a thing as a general confession, and the priest will walk you through it. My first confession as an adult, not having been raised in the Faith, was a general confession. The priest made it easy. Just tell them to truly consider all the sins they've committed in their lives, trying to remember as much as they can, resolve to sin no more, and go to a priest -- even if one from a parish they'd never visit again if it'd make it easier for them.

I did something similar when I reverted. It was my first confession since childhood, which interestingly enough I didn't know what to say as an 8 year old child, so I made something up to confess (i.e. I lied).

I remember it was during Advent and it was at our parish's "Reconcilation Service", which is really a bunch of priests gathered from around the Deanery to hear individual confessions (people come from all over to attend), so you can pick from like 6 or 8 priests. I chose one that was from a different parish, who didn't know me, and explained to him it was my first confession in 15 or so years, even though I had come home to the Church some 3 years prior. He just walked me through it.

It was the next day that we got our daughter's diagnosis of Infantile Spasms, and if it wasn't for the grace bestowed on me via the sacrament that evening I don't know if I would have had the strength for the trials of the following couple of months. There was something about finally making it right with God so I knew He was right beside me during those dark days.