FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Some time ago someone (formerbuddhist, maybe?) posted a link to an Eastern scheme of praying the Psalter by the Kathismata. I thought I had saved it, but now I can't find it. I've searched by every keyword I could think of, with no success. Does anybody know where to find it? Thanks
That was probably me; I posted something like that. Was it just a psalter schedule, or was it the chart for replacing the hours with Jesus prayers or kathismata?

EDITED TO ADD: I think I found what you are looking for. Page 1 is the system for replacing the hours, page 2 is the actual division of the kathismata. If you are interested, I have compiled a booklet with the penitential troparia said between the kathismata.
Thanks.Aquinas, that's exactly what I was looking for. I have the HTM Psalter divided into the kathismata, but I'm definitely interested in the booklet of troparia.
Aquinas, a further question. Is there a schemata for what kathisma is said at what hour?
Yes. It varies by time of year - it changes whether there are two or three kathismata at Matins. This is an Excel spreadsheet that gives the full distribution. The basic arrangement is:

Saturday Vespers: Kathisma 1
Sunday Matins: 2 and 3
Sunday Vespers: NONE
Monday Matins: 4 and 5
Monday Vespers: 6
Tuesday Matins: 7 and 8
Tuesday Vespers: 9
Wednesday Matins: 10 and 11
Wednesday Vespers: 12
Thursday Matins: 13 and 14
Thursday Vespers: 15
Friday Matins: 19 and 20
Friday Vespers: 18
Saturday Matins: 16 and 17

Some traditions swap Friday and Saturday Matins to maintain the "straight through" order. Most of the time outside of Lent when there are three kathismata, Kathisma 18 is said every weekday at Vespers and the "usual" Vespers kathisma is shifted to Matins. Saturday Vespers and Sunday Matins never change. During Great Lent, there are kathismata at the little hours too, which makes the system more complicated. And of course this is all in addition to the fixed psalmody of the services. Not quite Coptic Agpeya or East Syriac monastic office-level psalmody, but certainly a lot compared to the Roman Rite!
Thanks! I need to print these out and put them in my Psalter. How about the booklet of the troparia?
I'll try and get that together in the next day or two - I found some typos. It's in modern English since that's what my parish uses; I think I have one in "Jordanville" English, if you prefer - may flow a bit better with the HTM psalter. The modern language one is according to Rusyn/Ukrainian usage, the latter Russian usage. They're very similar, but not all of the kathismas use the same troparia. I based the modern language one on these, but I cleaned up some of the language and adapted it to our service books.
(01-31-2017, 12:12 PM)aquinas138 Wrote: [ -> ]I'll try and get that together in the next day or two - I found some typos. It's in modern English since that's what my parish uses; I think I have one in "Jordanville" English, if you prefer - may flow a bit better with the HTM psalter. The modern language one is according to Rusyn/Ukrainian usage, the latter Russian usage. They're very similar, but not all of the kathismas use the same troparia. I based the modern language one on these, but I cleaned up some of the language and adapted it to our service books.

I'll take the 'Jordanville' language, even tho' in the States I'm a Rusyn and in Canada a Ukrainian! I'm actually Serbian Rite, but we have no Eparchy in North America, so that's where I end up. Now, I just have to format them down to a comparable size to the HTM books! Thanks. I'll be prayimg for you!
(02-01-2017, 06:07 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2017, 12:12 PM)aquinas138 Wrote: [ -> ]I'll try and get that together in the next day or two - I found some typos. It's in modern English since that's what my parish uses; I think I have one in "Jordanville" English, if you prefer - may flow a bit better with the HTM psalter. The modern language one is according to Rusyn/Ukrainian usage, the latter Russian usage. They're very similar, but not all of the kathismas use the same troparia. I based the modern language one on these, but I cleaned up some of the language and adapted it to our service books.

I'll take the 'Jordanville' language, even tho' in the States I'm a Rusyn and in Canada a Ukrainian! I'm actually Serbian Rite, but we have no Eparchy in North America, so that's where I end up. Now, I just have to format them down to a comparable size to the HTM books! Thanks. I'll be prayimg for you!

What are the dimensions on your psalter? I can format them with minimal trouble.
Jovan, I've sent you a PM about the kathisma prayers.
Pages: 1 2