FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: New Translations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pope Francis has ordered a new review of the principles that guide translations of the liturgy, America magazine has confirmed.

The Pope reportedly formed a commission to review Liturgiam Authenticam, the document issued by the Vatican in 2001 that called for liturgical translations that adhered closely to the Latin of the Roman Missal. That document, which led to a new and more accurate English translation of liturgy, has continued to draw criticism from liturgists who favor a more “creative” interpretation of the language of the Mass.

The Pope’s decision to launch such a review has been widely rumored, but never officially announced. The commission has not yet met, America reports, nor has the list of its members been made public. However, it will be chaired by Archbishop Arthur Roche, the secretary of the Congregation for Divine Worship—rather than by that congregation’s prefect, Cardinal Robert Sarah, who is known to favor a more conservative approach.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=30597
And here comes the return of "for you and for all"
(01-28-2017, 10:15 AM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]And here comes the return of "for you and for all"

I think that it is interesting that in Arabic the Islamic phrase "Aslam aleikun" has a response "Wa aleikum salam." In the Melkite liturgy the phrase, "Al Rabb aleikum." (The Lord be with you) has the response, "Wa al Rouhuka." (And with your spirit.)
Everything Benedict did or tried to do Francis has dismantled. Surely this is next.
We'll see if this comes to pass or not. The America, PrayTell and Commonweal crowd are overjoyed at this development, but than again they have always been the most vocal proponents of everything we see in the average mainstream parish since the 70's today.  Personally I think a way to get rid of all this drama is just to have a sacred language for the sacred Liturgy, and for Latin Rite Catholics it ought to be Latin. Talking to God ceremonially should be in hieratic vernacular or in a language like Koine Greek, Old Church Slavonic or Latin.
(01-29-2017, 04:56 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I think a way to get rid of all this drama is just to have a sacred language for the sacred Liturgy, and for Latin Rite Catholics it ought to be Latin. Talking to God ceremonially should be in hieratic vernacular or in a language like Koine Greek, Old Church Slavonic or Latin.
Agreed, especially since the Council of Trent condemned the notion of an all-vernacular liturgy. We were supposed to retain Latin, according to Paul VI's Sacrosanctum Concilium, but in so many parishes, it went the way of the Communion rail.  I know that the parish I attend almost never uses Latin. I remember getting really excited when we sang Panis Angelicus once, and occasionally we sing a hymn with a bit of Latin, but those are exceptions to the rule here, sadly.