FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Where Did The 4 Sins that Cry Out to Heaven Come From 1) Willful murder, 2) The
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Where did The 4 Sins that Cry Out to Heaven Come From and when did they start to propagate?

- Willful murder
- The sin of Sodom
- Oppression of the poor
- Defrauding laborers of their wages
They seem to come from Sacred Scripture,

And the Lord said to Cain: Where is thy brother Abel? And he answered, I know not: am I my brother’ s keeper? And he said to him: What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother’s blood crieth to me from the earth. – Gen. 4:9-10

And the Lord said: The cry of Sodom and Gomorrha is multiplied, and their sin is become exceedingly grievous. I will go down and see whether they have done according to the cry that is come to me: or whether it be not so, that I may know. – Gen. 18:20-21

Now after a long time the king of Egypt died: and the children of Israel groaning, cried out because of the works: and their cry went up unto God from the works. And he heard their groaning, and remembered the covenant which he made with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. And the Lord looked upon the children of Israel, and he knew them. – Ex. 2:23

Behold the hire of the labourers, who have reaped down your fields, which by fraud has been kept back by you, crieth: and the cry of them hath entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth. You have feasted upon earth: and in riotousness you have nourished your hearts, in the day of slaughter. – James 5:4
(01-29-2017, 08:32 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: [ -> ]They seem to come from Sacred Scripture,

And the Lord said to Cain: Where is thy brother Abel? And he answered, I know not: am I my brother’ s keeper? And he said to him: What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother’s blood crieth to me from the earth. – Gen. 4:9-10

And the Lord said: The cry of Sodom and Gomorrha is multiplied, and their sin is become exceedingly grievous. I will go down and see whether they have done according to the cry that is come to me: or whether it be not so, that I may know. – Gen. 18:20-21

Now after a long time the king of Egypt died: and the children of Israel groaning, cried out because of the works: and their cry went up unto God from the works. And he heard their groaning, and remembered the covenant which he made with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. And the Lord looked upon the children of Israel, and he knew them. – Ex. 2:23

Behold the hire of the labourers, who have reaped down your fields, which by fraud has been kept back by you, crieth: and the cry of them hath entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth. You have feasted upon earth: and in riotousness you have nourished your hearts, in the day of slaughter. – James 5:4
Justin thanks for pointing these out, this background is really great.

But I am still wondering who put the list together a Pope, a Saint, and about what time period they started to be propagated?
Aside from the Scripture that they are taken from, the earliest thing that I could find where they had been grouped together under this title and taught in the form of a catechism is the 1649 Douay Catechism.  I couldn't find anything that ascribed their ordering to any particular Saint or Pope.

CHAPTER XX.

The Sins that cry to Heaven for Vengeance Expounded.

Q. How many such sins are there?
    A. Four.

Q. What is the first of them?
    A. Wilful murder, which is a voluntary and unjust taking away another's life.

Q. How show you the pravity of this sin?
    A. Out of Gen. iv. 10. Where it is said to Cain "What hast thou done? the voice of the blood of thy brother crieth to me from the earth: now, therefore shalt thou be cursed upon the earth." And Matt. xxvi

52, "All that take the sword, shall perish with the sword."
    Q. What is the second?

A. The sin of Sodom, or carnal sin against nature, which is a voluntary shedding of the seed of nature, out of the due use of marriage, or lust with a different sex.

Q. What is the scripture proof of this?
    A. Out of Gen. xix. 13. where we read of the Sodomites, and their sin. "We will destroy this place because the cry of them hath increased before our Lord, who hath sent us to destroy them," (and they were burnt with fire from heaven.)

Q. What is the third?
    A. Oppressing of the poor, which is a cruel, tyrannical, and unjust dealing with inferiors.

Q. What other proof have you of that?
    A. Out of Exod. xxii. 21. "Ye shall not hurt the widow and the fatherless: If you do hurt them, they will cry unto me, and I will hear them cry, and my fury shall take indignation, and I will strike thee with the sword." And out of Isa. x. 1, 2. "Wo to them that make unjust laws, that they might oppress the poor in judgment, and do violence to the cause of the humble of my people."

Q. What is the fourth?
    A. To defraud working men of their wages, which is to lessen, or detain it from them.

Q. What proof have you of it?
    A. Out of Eccl. xxxiv. 37. "He that sheddeth blood and he that defraudeth the hired man, are brethren," and out of James v. 4. "Behold the hire of the workmen that have reaped your fields, which is defrauded by you, crieth, and their cry hath entered into the ears of the Lord God of Sabaoth."

Outside of this I found a quote from a moral manual of the last century

"The sins that cry to heaven for vengeance are: Wilful murder, sodomy, oppression of the poor, defrauding labourers of their wages. This category of four grievous sins is not a class of the worst possible sins, for none of them are opposed directly to God, but of sins that must provoke God's anger in a way that we do not attribute to His Divine anger against many other sins, and because Holy Scripture speaks of them as a class apart and as crying to God for vengeance.
In the four sins mentioned above, the offence is directly opposed to nature and natural instincts, and therefore to the order in this world which God has taken supreme care to establish. Thus, wilful murder is directly opposed to God's sovereignty, Who alone is master of life; sodomy is a perversion of the true natural sexual instinct, which is designed to perpetuate the race; oppression of the poor extinguishes the ingrained sense of pity in the human heart; defrauding labourers of their wages is opposed to the social instinct that safeguards the property of the members of the body politic. It is obvious that these sins tend to the destruction of the human race.There is good warranty in Holy Scripture for putting these four sins in a class apart and considering them very heinous crimes. Thus : “The voice of thy brother crieth to Me from the earth;” “The cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is multiplied, and their sin is become exceedingly grievous;” “I have seen the affliction of my people in Egypt, and I have heard their cry because of the rigour of them that are over the works;” “Behold the hire of the labourers, who have reaped down your fields, which by fraud has been kept back by you, crieth; and the cry of them hath entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabbaoth” (Gen. 4, 10 : 18, 20 : 19, 13; Exod. 3, 7 ; Deut. 24, 14 ; Jas. 5, 4). [Rev. Henry Davis, S.J., Moral and Pastoral Theology, 4th ed. (New York: Sheed and Ward, 1943), pp. 214-15].
Just what I was trying to understand further. thk

From FE:  http://www.fisheaters.com/lists.html#10 : Genesis 4, Genesis 18, Exodus 2, James 5, respectively.