FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope accuses Christians of ‘cowardliness’ for overfocus on Commandments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Full title:

Watch: Pope accuses Christians of ‘cowardliness’ for overfocus on following ‘all’ 10 Commandments

From LifeSiteNews:

"February 1, 2017 (LifeSiteNews.com) – In another in a long stream of apparent attacks on his critics, Pope Francis gave a homily last week accusing Christians who avoid taking risks out of concern for the Ten Commandments as suffering from “cowardliness,” warning that such people become “paralyzed” and unable to “go forward.”

“‘Not taking risks, please, no... prudence...Obeying all the commandments, all of them...,'” the pope said, characterizing the thinking of such Christians. “Yes, it’s true, but this paralyzes you too, it makes you forget so many graces received, it takes away memory, it takes away hope, because it doesn’t allow you to go forward.”"

More here:

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/watch-...ollowing-1

"If you love me, keep my commandments." - Our Lord Jesus Christ, John 14:15
Forget about Catholic, is this guy even Christian? I'm starting to doubt this.
(02-02-2017, 05:32 PM)In His Love Wrote: [ -> ]Full title:

Watch: Anti-Pope accuses Christians of ‘cowardliness’ for overfocus on following ‘all’ 10 Commandments

From LifeSiteNews:

"February 1, 2017 (LifeSiteNews.com) – In another in a long stream of apparent attacks on his critics, Anti-Pope Francis gave a homily last week accusing Christians who avoid taking risks out of concern for the Ten Commandments as suffering from “cowardliness,” warning that such people become “paralyzed” and unable to “go forward.”

“‘Not taking risks, please, no... prudence...Obeying all the commandments, all of them...,'” the pope said, characterizing the thinking of such Christians. “Yes, it’s true, but this paralyzes you too, it makes you forget so many graces received, it takes away memory, it takes away hope, because it doesn’t allow you to go forward.”"

More here:

Ah, those typos were annoying me.  Much better... Smile
The only coward i see are the Pope and Bishops who are too weak to confront the secular leaders.
                                                      Please Cardinals, Send out that correction !
He's referring specifically to the Commandment forbidding "adultery", isn't he?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

(02-02-2017, 05:32 PM)In His Love Wrote: [ -> ]Full title:

Watch: Pope accuses Christians of ‘cowardliness’ for overfocus on following ‘all’ 10 Commandments

From LifeSiteNews:

"February 1, 2017 (LifeSiteNews.com) – In another in a long stream of apparent attacks on his critics, Pope Francis gave a homily last week accusing Christians who avoid taking risks out of concern for the Ten Commandments as suffering from “cowardliness,” warning that such people become “paralyzed” and unable to “go forward.”

More here:

Some people hide behind logic and reason to make up for their own timidity, and they like to call it "prudence."  It is not the virtue of prudence, but rather the vice that is the excess of prudence (timidity).  It's good to call people out on that when they need it and in the proper time and place, but the "cure" for it definitely isn't the vice that is the deficiency of prudence (recklessness).  What Pope Francis has said would have been good for an audience who all understood the ten commandments well and was striving to live by them.  The problem is, if the world knows, it certainly isn't trying to follow them.
(02-02-2017, 11:35 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]Some people hide behind logic and reason to make up for their own timidity, and they like to call it "prudence."  It is not the virtue of prudence, but rather the vice that is the excess of prudence (timidity).  It's good to call people out on that when they need it and in the proper time and place, but the "cure" for it definitely isn't the vice that is the deficiency of prudence (recklessness).  What Pope Francis has said would have been good for an audience who all understood the ten commandments well and was striving to live by them.  The problem is, if the world knows, it certainly isn't trying to follow them.

Maybe we tend to see things in terms of our own experience.  I think I'm guilty of that.  I have been accused of being a "coward" a tremendous number of times.  In every case it was because I did not want to date a divorcee (with kids) that a "friend" wanted to set me up with.  I did use the Ten Commandment excuse.  I would argue "I'm Catholic, I'm Christian, I should not be dating or marrying a divorcee.  It's contrary to what Jesus Christ taught."  And they would invariably come back at me "You just want to marry a virgin!!!"  And I would agree, "Yes!"  And then of course they would ask me sarcastically "What 'type' of virgin are you looking for?"  And I would reply "I type who doesn't have any kids."  And they would leave angrily in a huff, "Well then you should have started looking when you were a lot younger!!!!"

The Pope make the vague statement that people feel that they have to keep ALL of the Commandments.  He even repeated himself.  Which ones would you use to excuse timidity?  Not killing? Not stealing? Not bearing false witness? Not honoring your father and mother? Not coveting? Not taking the lords name in vain?  I could be wrong, but I think he's angry at people like me.
I wonder if encouraging Catholics to be more sympathetic towards divorces -- and not only making annulments easier, but also encouraging singles to marry divorcees -- will lead to an increase in divorces.

Is it a vicious cycle? Marriages that last create stability in a society.

(02-03-2017, 12:04 PM)RichardP Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if encouraging Catholics to be more sympathetic towards divorces -- and not only making annulments easier, but also encouraging singles to marry divorcees -- will lead to an increase in divorces.

Is it a vicious cycle? Marriages that last create stability in a society.

I would go so far as to say that a person's marital status, single, divorced, widowed etc is irrelevant and the important issue is proper catechesis about marriage. If a man and women voluntarily enter into a marriage and are properly catechized about the sacrament of marriage and marriage expectations then the issue about divorce, annulment, etc should become mute.

Unfortunately that is easier said than done.
Pages: 1 2 3