FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Did Simeon and Anna know Mary previously?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Something I feel like I've read in the past and was thinking about. One of the traditions of the Church is the Presentation of Mary (this is sadly a much bigger feast in the East) where she was presented to the God in the Temple to live there until she was the age of 12 after which the remaining events of her life that we know of commenced.

As such, if Mary lived in the Temple for 9 years (it is said from 3 to 12 years old), then Simeon and Anna had to know her, correct? It's an interesting thought to wonder what their thoughts were at the time while she was there and then later when she brought the Lord to the Temple. Also, Mary knowing these two could very well have had another reason to be astonished at the words of Simeon.
(02-03-2017, 02:40 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]Something I feel like I've read in the past and was thinking about. One of the traditions of the Church is the Presentation of Mary (this is sadly a much bigger feast in the East) where she was presented to the God in the Temple to live there until she was the age of 12 after which the remaining events of her life that we know of commenced.

As such, if Mary lived in the Temple for 9 years (it is said from 3 to 12 years old), then Simeon and Anna had to know her, correct? It's an interesting thought to wonder what their thoughts were at the time while she was there and then later when she brought the Lord to the Temple. Also, Mary knowing these two could very well have had another reason to be astonished at the words of Simeon.

It's interesting that it is not certain that Simeon was a priest. That seems a logical inference, but it is noteworthy that the Gospel does not say that, whereas Zacharias is explicitly called such. The ancient sources for the Entrance of the Theotokos say she was received into the Temple by Zacharias, but Simeon doesn't appear to be mentioned.
The Feast of the Presentation of Mary was imported from the Byzantine church, and it is based on a second-century apocryphal work called the Protoevangelion of James.  You can find it here: 

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0847.htm

This work is a piece of pious fiction, and is historically ridiculous, which is why St. Pius V removed the feast from the Roman Calendar (it was later restored).  So, no, Our Lady did not grow up in the temple, and Anna and Simeon did not know her.