FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: New FE Page: "Judging Others"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Got a new page up in the Being Catholic section, a page called "Judging Others." I felt compelled to write such a page given the constant accusations of "hypocrisy" on the part of That Certain Type of Atheist (we've all encountered at least one) who likes to throw those verses from Matthew 7 at us -- the "judge not lest ye be judged" verses, and because of what's going on with Francis and so many Bishops being unwilling to call a spade a spade. I hope you guys like it:

If anyone has any critiques or ideas about things that should be included but aren't, let me know!
(02-06-2017, 09:21 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Got a new page up in the Being Catholic section, a page called "Judging Others." I felt compelled to write such a page given the constant accusations of "hypocrisy" on the part of That Certain Type of Atheist (we've all encountered at least one) who likes to throw those verses from Matthew 7 at us -- the "judge not lest ye be judged" verses, and because of what's going on with Francis and so many Bishops being unwilling to call a spade a spade. I hope you guys like it:

If anyone has any critiques or ideas about things that should be included but aren't, let me know!

I find it interesting that the passage of scripture that follows the "judge not" passage is the "do not give what is holy to dogs" passage. "Judge not" must mean something other than refusing to discern the right from the wrong with regards to the behavior of others.  These passages of scripture, understood correctly with the mind of the Church, are very important in these confusing times.
^ Along the same lines, we are told by St. Paul to judge the things that those in authority attempt to teach us as well. (Gal. 1:8). Given the current positivist craziness in the Church and the media, it might be worth mentioning something about that in the article.

(02-07-2017, 10:48 AM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]^ Along the same lines, we are told by St. Paul to judge the things that those in authority attempt to teach us as well. (Gal. 1:8). Given the current positivist craziness in the Church and the media, it might be worth mentioning something about that in the article.

Good idea! I added the relevant verses from Galatians.. Thanks!
Very good, I will take time to read this well, and the extra about gutting the readings that you attached.  I want to be ready if someone actually brings anything up on these topics.
Beautiful, Vox.

The opposition of the two extremes at the end is particularly helpful, I think, in clarifying an important paradox.

To wit: we the human members of the Church MUST learn to stand up and start judging (actions) again as you say - whilst refraining like never before from judging (souls) ...

For me, what helps with the latter is to keep ever in mind my own broken sinfulness.

For example, I live in a very overweight body and although I'm finally making a little progress in losing weight, a lifetime of falling into gluttony can not be forgotten here.

And this is not without serious long term ramifications, not just for my health, but my family who have to endure someone who is ill more often, lethargic - a  euphemism for lazy etc etc.

But, somehow, gluttony isn't something those who judge souls take as seriously as, say, sexual licentiousness.

But who can judge between a soul disordered in their craving for sex or food? Still, the first type gets judged more seriously than the second.

And my gluttony is just one example. Trying to recall my cowardice, hypocrisy, vast sins of omission etc - all of this helps, I hope and pray, to mute the impulse to judge souls who are no more disordered than I am, but just in a different way.

This leads to real mercy, as opposed to the very dangerous false mercy in terms of not judging actions that you so expertly diagnose here.

Again ... beautiful.
I just finished reading the "Gutting of the Gospels" article and it did, of course, anger me, but on the other hand I will be reading my bible.  I will see for myself what has been removed and absorb all of it, not the part "they" want to spoon feed us.  What was I thinking?  I should have known.  Not long ago, I got tired of all the wishy washy Christ said this and and Christ said that stuff that kept coming up in regard to the liberal thinking.  I read the book of John and left it thinking you would have to be an idiot not to understand what Christ actually said.  It is very clear and firm what he taught.  Shouldn't have been too hard to toss that Amoris Latitiae (probably spelled that wrong, well, Joy of Love) in the can from the first.  I see clearly the message here is "read the bible".  And I do understand that we won't always understand scripture, I am not promoting sola scriptora, but really, some things are pretty clear and not up for argument.  I'm glad I read "Gutting of the Gospels"  I had heard that reading had been hand picked and the hard teachings had been removed.  What else?  What else don't we know?  I learn so much listening to the homilies on the Regina Prophetorum website.  It is the only place I get fed in regard to living my life in this mess.  One priest I have regularly makes everything a history lesson.  I always leave wondering if he even knows what is going on in the Church.  Then he mentioned that he had just returned from a trip on a bus to the Right to Life March.  I can't understand why he doesn't have anything to say!  I guess it is a case of heads in sand and don't be conspicuous.  And my Bishop, he never even "bleats".  God only knows what he thinks.  The diocese certainly doesn't.  No one has probably ever even heard his name!
(02-11-2017, 03:57 AM)Jeanannemarie Wrote: [ -> ]I learn so much listening to the homilies on the Regina Prophetorum website.  It is the only place I get fed in regard to living my life in this mess.

I get the feeling, reading your post, that you attend a Novus Ordo parish. Try this: http://www.livemass.org/livemass/day.html

You can watch a live streaming Traditional Latin Mass every day, thanks to the FSSP. Smile
(02-07-2017, 05:29 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-07-2017, 10:48 AM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]^ Along the same lines, we are told by St. Paul to judge the things that those in authority attempt to teach us as well. (Gal. 1:8). Given the current positivist craziness in the Church and the media, it might be worth mentioning something about that in the article.

Good idea! I added the relevant verses from Galatians.. Thanks!
Vox, I recently had an atheist friend on another forum pull Matthew 7 on me after I had disparagingly quoted Pope Francis, 'Who am I to judge'.

I replied thusly,
jovan66102 Wrote:And, in the Gospel according to St John, chapter 20, verse 23, this same God-Man said to the Apostolic College, of which Peter, the first Pope was the head, 'Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.' Sounds to me very much like Our Lord Jesus granted the power of judgment to the Apostles and their successors.

Thank God, there are still successors of the Apostles who take this charge seriously, unlike the Pope!
Great article Trace! If I may go off on a tangent for a second and say I have been contemplating setting up a blog discussing this and a myriad of other responses to issues like this. i'll admit I've been rather preoccupied and lazy in other respects about doing do so but thank you for taking the time.

The article is great, but there is one addendum I would tack on. In Matthew 7:2 we see "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Basically what I see us being told is that a Christian should not go around telling people one thing and doing another openly. For instance, if you tell your kids not to lie but then go drop the mother of all lies THAT makes you a hypocrite.

You make a very important point about how one is to be corrected. We should not aim to humiliate or talk condescendingly to another as if we are somehow above that sin. None of us is "above" sin except Christ. We are here to help each other through life and sometimes that means privately and humbly calling someone out on their nonsense. Other times it means taking out a billboard saying what needs to be said.