FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: "Functionally biritual"?! How does that work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With my background and with a Ukrainian Catholic parish now almost in my neighborhood, having moved from a dying city, I say I'm functionally biritual. Divine Liturgy once a month and prayers in the Byzantine Rite often daily at home in front of icons from a late Russian gentleman (half are medieval style, half 19th-century; all very tsarist). So, since that and the traditional Roman Rite are often not in sync, how does that work for me?
Interesting. Being in somewhat the same situation, I may have a few comments to make on your blog.
Gonna try to say this quick cause I'm waiting for my nurse to call me in any minute. But personally, I find this biritualism exhausting. This is not about Latin v Byzantine rite but it does touch on Catholic and Orthodox rolled into one in reference to calendars.

My family has practiced a form of it (you can say) for as long as I can remember. Obviously, we all know, Russian Christian culture is predominantly Orthodox and Catholics, especially Latin-rite, are few and far between. Biritualism became a form of necessity, in a way, in our case, so that we could have a Catholic experience when there is no place for Mass for hundreds upon hundreds of  kilometres. It became vital so that we had some kind of Christian connection that we could relate to ethnically. Further, when the majority of family members are Orthodox, you kind of have to be familiar with prayers and worship so that you can celebrate and mourn together.

Obviously for some, this is "a choice" (isn't everything a choice though?). If it is a choice, you can shift your worship and prayer life to an individualized way that works for a particular individual. Also, as a choice, it seems more enjoyable. But as I said, I find it exhausting. Sure, there are things we can share, like icons and incense, but in some cases, it's just not a choice of choosing the Gregorian v Julian calendar. My family, over time, has meshed the two. The cultural events and feast days were too strong to ignore or drop.

And maybe because people don't really care anymore or they are more open to "spiritual fluidity", but there has been vocal opposition at times. That was touched upon when the author said "pick a rite a stick with it!" In our case, we've been told off for celebrating Christmas twice, for baking kulichi twice or just having a very eastern looking red corner. And you'll say, "Don't do it twice, you're Latin!" but then, ethnicity is removed from identity. I think it's great when individuals can now worship in the best way that makes them comfortable, and it is generally more acceptable now, I figure.

Rip me apart and tell me how stupid I am now.
(03-13-2017, 08:42 AM)Zubr Wrote: [ -> ]Rip me apart and tell me how stupid I am now.
You and Sequentia both need to stop with this "I'm stupid" thing. Neither of you are stupid and it bothers me when you guys denigrate your own intelligence.
Hey, Zubr--you're not stupid and no one's going to rip you apart!
Zuni what you're doing is probably not that uncommon, in fact, I imagine all throughout history where there's been intermingling of people's and religions there's been a bit of mixing. Real life is much more complex than some would like to think!

Personally I found it too hard to mix East and West, Julian and Gregorian, etc. so I chose to stick with one thing. It's easier for me though, because I've got no family, friends or community to worship or compromise with. I'm totally on my own.

Do what works for you and your family in your situation.