FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Jesuit Priest Stokes Fake War Between Pope Francis and Steve Bannon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

From Breitbart:

Jesuit Priest Stokes Fake War Between Pope Francis and Steve Bannon
by Thomas D. Williams, Ph.D.
13 Feb 20171,337

The Jesuit editor of the progressive America magazine has thrown his support behind the fabricated story of a war between Pope Francis and Stephen K. Bannon, President Trump’s chief strategist.

On the far-left MSNBC cable television channel Sunday, Father James Martin said that Steve Bannon is a “radical traditionalist” opposing Pope Francis’s reforms and pining “for a time when the Church was purer.”

Vox Wrote:
I think he means "for a time when the Church's hierarchs believed Church teaching and handed them down in a clear manner consistent with what the Church has always taught."

In a segment titled “Steve Bannon vs. the Pope,” Martin suggested that Bannon uses Church teaching to promote “racist, misogynistic, homophobic, xenophobic sentiments.”

Vox Wrote:Yawn. Progs are so boring. I wonder if they could have a conversation at all without using the words racist, misogynistic, homophobic, and xenophobic.

Speaking of which, next time you're talking to a prog, ask him to not use those words but to use facts instead, to not characterize, but to use actual facts. See how that goes. It's fun.

Apparently, in Father Martin’s version of the gospel, it is wrong to oppose radical Islamists, but it is fine to bear false witness against a fellow Christian, running him down with baseless slanders and slurs.

Vox Wrote:
... that sounds familiar. Does it sound familiar to any o' y'all, too?

Bannon is not only an anti-Pope Francis, Martin alleged, “I would also say he is an anti-Pope Benedict and an anti-Pope John Paul.”

“All these people were about economic justice,” Martin said, implying that Steve Bannon is not.

Father Martin also made the astonishing claim that Jesus Christ does not share Steve Bannon’s view of Catholicism as the “Church militant,” which he said is a synonym of “radical traditionalists.”

“I don’t think it was Jesus’ point of view either,” he said.

What Father Martin fails to mention is that his religious order—the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits)—was approved in 1540 by Pope Paul III with the papal bull titled “To the Government of the Church Militant” and the Jesuits were commonly referred to as the pope’s “shock troops.”

Moreover, as literate Catholics know, the “Church militant” is a common expression employed by countless Catholic saints including Pope John Paul II to distinguish the members of the church on earth still doing battle with evil from those who have already died.

In his most famous text, The Spiritual Exercises, Saint Ignatius Loyola—the founder of the Jesuits—wrote out a series of rules that should be followed “to foster the true attitude of mind we ought to have in the church militant.”

Pope Francis is, of course, a Jesuit as well.

As is their wont, MSNBC invited a panel composed solely of Democrats to eliminate any dissenting voices, and guests continually referred to Bannon as a “white supremacist” without ever being challenged concerning the veracity of their insults.

Remarkably, while also calling Bannon a “conspiracy theorist,” the panel wove its own unbelievable conspiracy theory that Bannon is trying to subvert the Catholic Church and the papacy itself.

E.J. Dionne of the Washington Post uncritically mimicked the phony narrative concocted by the New York Times that Steve Bannon met with Cardinal Raymond Burke, “a real foe of the Pope,” and bonded with “this opponent of the Pope in 2014” as part of a strategic alliance to sow division in the Church.

Vox Wrote:
Yeah, 'cause it's people who believe what the Church has always taught who are "sowing division."

In point of fact, when Bannon interviewed Cardinal Burke on camera in April of 2014, there had as yet been no hostility whatsoever between Burke and the Pope. In fact, Burke continued to occupy the post of Prefect of the Apostolic Segnatura, the Vatican’s supreme court.

“Steve Bannon is aligned with a radical sect of Catholics,” the MSNBC tag for the show reads.

Those members of the Church militant sure are a sneaky bunch.
Is Fr. Martin lying, or is he really that ignorant of the Catholic Faith?  He was born in 1960, so there's a good chance he never really knew the Baltimore Catechism.  He was formed in the Jesuits throughout the late 1980's and the 1990's, so the formation he got was probably about as bad as can be.  Still, Jesuits are known for being academics.  I would imagine that an intelligent person who had never heard the phrase "Church Militant" before would think that it sounded funny, like an expression a person wouldn't normally use.  I would think that a scholar, however, would at least do a quick web search to see if that expression actually means something.  Either he is seriously ignorant of the Faith, or he is assuming that his listeners are ignorant of the Faith and would be intimidated by the term, by faithful Catholics, by Steve Bannon, and by Pres. Trump even more.  Fr. Martin should do more praying and studying, and less talking.
I have said this before elsewhere and I am sure I will say it again.  I really wish there was a guy like Saint Nicholas who would just go around and just punch heretics square in the face.  I feel like he would be an extremely busy man!  Maybe he could write a book like the Raccoon, were instead of 200 days indulgence for a good work, you get 10 punches in the face for a heresy!  I guarantee that would clear up a lot of this nonsense LOL LOL
(02-16-2017, 12:29 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe he could write a book like the Raccoon, were instead of 200 days indulgence for a good work, you get 10 punches in the face for a heresy!

I think you mean the Raccolta. Hmmm...
Hmm.. initially yes. Damn auto correct! But on second thought...
Ya know, for the last two years or so, I have deliberately avoided all news of Roman or American politics. Britain and Canada have been enough to keep me busy. But this Bannon character sounds interesting!
I guess this Jesuit forgot the Beatitudes 'Blessed are the peace-makers.'