FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: SSPX at University, yay or nay?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm going to be going to a University where there are many Catholic Churches, and in the town there are two parishes serving the Extraordinary Form: one is SSPX and the other is FSSP. The SSPX one is very close, while the FSSP one is around 40 minutes walking distance. (I have no car and will be in a different country so no bike) Is it a sin to go to the SSPX parish? (I know people who go to SSPX would say no of course, so this is more directed to those who are usually going to masses in regular communion with Rome and the local diocese)
I just recently (as in, yesterday or the day before) read a debate online about this on a Facebook group. The actual answer seems to be, according to the documents quoted, that yes we are allowed to go to SSPX as long as we're doing it because we love the Latin Mass and not because we're protesting (i.e. denying VII, believing Francis is not Pope, etc). We're even allowed to make "modest" financial contributions to them. Confessions continue to be valid (they were granted faculties during the Year of Mercy, and those faculties have been extended), although marriages, etc seem to still be grey.

If you wanted to know all the documents, etc, I would have to go dig in that Facebook group but I can if you need.
(02-21-2017, 11:16 PM)GoodKingWenceslas Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to be going to a University where there are many Catholic Churches, and in the town there are two parishes serving the Extraordinary Form: one is SSPX and the other is FSSP. The SSPX one is very close, while the FSSP one is around 40 minutes walking distance. (I have no car and will be in a different country so no bike) Is it a sin to go to the SSPX parish? (I know people who go to SSPX would say no of course, so this is more directed to those who are usually going to masses in regular communion with Rome and the local diocese)

Maybe you could find out if there is anyone at the FSSP church who lives in your area and could give you a ride.
(02-21-2017, 11:16 PM)GoodKingWenceslas Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to be going to a University where there are many Catholic Churches, and in the town there are two parishes serving the Extraordinary Form: one is SSPX and the other is FSSP. The SSPX one is very close, while the FSSP one is around 40 minutes walking distance. (I have no car and will be in a different country so no bike) Is it a sin to go to the SSPX parish? (I know people who go to SSPX would say no of course, so this is more directed to those who are usually going to masses in regular communion with Rome and the local diocese)

It is not a sin to attend an SSPX chapel (note the word "chapel" instead of "parish." "Parish" denotes ordinary jurisdiction, which the SSPX does not have nor claim to have). The Vatican made clear years ago that Catholics can attend SSPX chapels and financially support them.
(02-22-2017, 05:53 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]

It is not a sin to attend an SSPX chapel (note the word "chapel" instead of "parish." "Parish" denotes ordinary jurisdiction, which the SSPX does not have nor claim to have). The Vatican made clear years ago that Catholics can attend SSPX chapels and financially support them.
Thanks! Is there a place I can read on that?