FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Communion in the hand during a Latin Mass?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I came across this photo posted on a parish website:

http://www.fairburycatholic.org/highslid...ge/FA1.jpg

Has anyone else seen this before?
The questions that come to my mind on viewing this picture:

Is the man actually receiving the Host?

Why was someone photographing this?

Maybe the priest is blessing his rosary or some other item.
It is very unlikely that a priest offering the Traditional Latin Mass would give someone communion in the hand.  If the situation in the photo is of the man receiving communion in his hand, the Mass is most likely a Novus Ordo.  All the traditional diocesan priests I know who offer both the Traditional Latin Mass and the Novus Ordo wear traditional vestments for both liturgies.  The people at the rail look like a father, son, and grandson.  Perhaps the priest is doing some kind of family blessing, and the object the priest seems to be giving the man is a blessed medal or something.
It appears he's blessing an object of some sort. In any case, I'm not an expert on mass rubrics and whatnot but I don't think the priest could refuse to give him communion in the hand without the bishops permission. I think In the united states it is canonically acceptable to receive either way but the bishop of a particular diocese may choose to restrict communion in the hand but never communion on the tongue as it is the universal norm.
(02-22-2017, 01:18 AM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]It appears he's blessing an object of some sort. In any case, I'm not an expert on mass rubrics and whatnot but I don't think the priest could refuse to give him communion in the hand without the bishops permission. I think In the united states it is canonically acceptable to receive either way but the bishop of a particular diocese may choose to restrict communion in the hand but never communion on the tongue as it is the universal norm.

I'm not sure the priest would refuse to give communion in the hand, though I would not be surprised if he asked the person after Mass to receive on the tongue when at the Traditional Latin Mass.  I have heard a few diocesan priests explain before communion that communion is received on the tongue at that particular liturgy.
I used to go to a Mass that allowed it. The church was primarily an NO church, but the priest would do TLM because he liked it. While most people would received kneeling at the rail and on the tongue, some people (typically older women) would stick their hands out to receive on the hands. Unfortunately, the priest never said no to them.
The priest is wearing his biretta -- he wouldn't be wearing that during the distribution of Communion.
(02-22-2017, 12:55 PM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]The priest is wearing his biretta -- he wouldn't be wearing that during the distribution of Communion.

Good eye, and good point! 

It looks to me like he's blessing the Rosary the gentleman's holding.
(02-22-2017, 12:55 PM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]The priest is wearing his biretta -- he wouldn't be wearing that during the distribution of Communion.

I was going to say that I don't see the patent on the altar boy.