FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Confession question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In order to return to the Catholic Church, at the very least, confession is needed (since I formally joined a Protestant church, a profession of the Creed of St Pius V may be necessary as well).

I know that you must confess all mortal sins by number. However, this will be my first confession since 2011, and I have committed many serious sins since then. I cannot remember the exact number of times. What do you do in these circumstances? Do you try to set a definite minimum number that you are certain of? Do you try and estimate high? Or go for an average?

If you estimate the number of sins wrongly either way (too low or too high), does that matter for valid absolution, as long as you try your best to remember?

(02-22-2017, 04:41 AM)MichaelNZ Wrote: [ -> ]In order to return to the Catholic Church, at the very least, confession is needed (since I formally joined a Protestant church, a profession of the Creed of St Pius V may be necessary as well).

I know that you must confess all mortal sins by number. However, this will be my first confession since 2011, and I have committed many serious sins since then. I cannot remember the exact number of times. What do you do in these circumstances? Do you try to set a definite minimum number that you are certain of? Do you try and estimate high? Or go for an average?

If you estimate the number of sins wrongly either way (too low or too high), does that matter for valid absolution, as long as you try your best to remember?

After a great amount of time between Confessions, on in first Confessions that take place later in life, what's known as "a general Confession" is made. The priest will walk you through it. You do NOT have to know the exact number of times you've committed this or that sin. Just make a heartfelt, sincere examination of conscience, do your best to remember all sins, and get in that box! The priest will lead you through it all, and there is NOTHING AT ALL to worry about if you are truly contrite and truly desire to confess all of your sins.

S'all good! JUST GO! You will feel like a trillion bucks when you leave! I promise!
^

[Image: 4293812.jpg]
The important thing is that you go to confession. If you honestly forget to name something, don't worry about it. Just give yourself a moment to do an examination of conscience, which you can do in just a few minutes, then come back to the Faith. Jesus is waiting for you. Also, be sure to find something to help you persevere once the reversion high has worn off. Lent is just around the corner, so there will likely be plenty of opportunities for that.

Michael,
I responded via Private Message.
:)
Please consider listening to this series of talks, which is a parish mission on sin and confession. The priest gives a lot insight into how to make a good general confession, and he addresses practical questions like the one you've asked. This would serve as a good aid for you as you prepare to make your confession.

This is from St. Isidore Church in Colorado.

http://0039331.netsolhost.com/MP3/Confer...20Mission/
(02-22-2017, 12:10 PM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]Please consider listening to this series of talks, which is a parish mission on sin and confession. The priest gives a lot insight into how to make a good general confession, and he addresses practical questions like the one you've asked. This would serve as a good aid for you as you prepare to make your confession.

This is from St. Isidore Church in Colorado.

http://0039331.netsolhost.com/MP3/Confer...20Mission/

That's the same group of conferences I have listened to, and I love them.  Inspiring.  I did listen to them before my own GC.