FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Ash Wednesday question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As I mentioned in another thread, I am being received  back into the Catholic Church on Sunday. However, Ash Wednesday is this Wednesday and I"m planning to attend Mass (NO, unfortunately no TLM is available). Since I'm not in a state of grace, is it permissible to receive the ashes?
Anyone can receive the ashes, even the unbaptised.
What Eponym said.
(02-27-2017, 01:01 AM)MichaelNZ Wrote: [ -> ]As I mentioned in another thread, I am being received  back into the Catholic Church on Sunday. However, Ash Wednesday is this Wednesday and I"m planning to attend Mass (NO, unfortunately no TLM is available). Since I'm not in a state of grace, is it permissible to receive the ashes?

Are you returning to the Church, or converting for the first time?  If the former, why do you need to do anything other than go to confession?
(02-27-2017, 01:01 AM)MichaelNZ Wrote: [ -> ]As I mentioned in another thread, I am being received  back into the Catholic Church on Sunday. However, Ash Wednesday is this Wednesday and I"m planning to attend Mass (NO, unfortunately no TLM is available). Since I'm not in a state of grace, is it permissible to receive the ashes?

yes
Smile Smile Smile
(02-27-2017, 01:31 AM)Eponym Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone can receive the ashes, even the unbaptised.

And many unbaptized do come, especially in large metropolitan centers such as NYC, etc.

Also many non-practicing Catholics come, out of "sentiment" and attachment.  Interesting that although it is not a Holy Day of Obligation, many fallen-away Catholics more readily attend Ash Wednesday than any obligatory Sunday.
(02-27-2017, 11:21 AM)Miriam_M Wrote: [ -> ]Also many non-practicing Catholics come, out of "sentiment" and attachment.  Interesting that although it is not a Holy Day of Obligation, many fallen-away Catholics more readily attend Ash Wednesday than any obligatory Sunday.
Years ago, I was active in a university Newman Centre. Out pastor told us not to remind anyone, especially the professors, that it wasn't a Holy Day of Obligation because we got our largest collection of the year on Ash Wednesday. Most of the staff attended Mass at their home parishes on Sundays, but time constraints brought them to the Centre for the noon service on Feria IV Cinerum.
(02-27-2017, 09:58 AM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]

Are you returning to the Church, or converting for the first time?  If the former, why do you need to do anything other than go to confession?

I contacted a priest I know from the SSPX, and he said that I do need to do the profession of faith since I formally became a member of a Protestant church. Confession afterwards is also necessary.