FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The SSPX and Rome!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Unless, I am very much mistaken, we don't seem to have threads here about the WONDERFUL (well, in my view, anyway) developments between Rome and the SSPX.

The latest would seem to be a major HQ in Rome for the SSPX ...

Pope Francis helps SSPX take over church, complex, in heart of Rome
Posted on 24 February 2017 by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf

Il Foglio today as a story about how Pope Francis was a decisive factor in handing over a neo-Gothic church in the center of Rome, Santa Maria Immacolata all’Esquilino, to the SSPX.

It is going to be a center for studies and, perhaps, their HQ.  It is a pretty large complex.

From Father Z with photos ...

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2017/02/pope-fran...t-of-rome/

Personally, I am VERY interested in and encouraged by these developments. If anyone else knows anything about them or has good links to post, please don't be silent.  Smile
While I'd love to see the SSPX back fully in the fold, I do worry about them coming in with this Pope. I agree with the Remnant that something doesn't seem right with it.
(02-27-2017, 01:59 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]While I'd love to see the SSPX back fully in the fold, I do worry about them coming in with this Pope. I agree with the Remnant that something doesn't seem right with it.

I share this suspicion. I wouldn't be surprised if it's with the long-term goal of completely dismantling it.
(02-27-2017, 01:59 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]While I'd love to see the SSPX back fully in the fold, I do worry about them coming in with this Pope. I agree with the Remnant that something doesn't seem right with it.
Don't leave us hanging! Post a link, if not the Remnant article itself!
Hmm ... I think it has to be seen that this event  involves all 3 remaining Archbishops and they've been wrangling with this for years and years now.

Personally, it's hard for me to believe they are _that_ naive.

The bizarre truth must be that Pope Francis is giving them a LOT more to hold on than Benedict XVI whom they walked out on. These men are far from dumb.
(02-27-2017, 03:53 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]
Don't leave us hanging! Post a link, if not the Remnant article itself!
Tons of different articles and videos. Michael Matt has been talking about this for a while now. Also note that MM goes to FSSP Masses. He shares the same skepticism that the Pope wishes to control the SSPX to ultimately destroy or limit its influence and maybe even of the entire traditionalist movement. The SSPX has this kind of weird situation whereby being in this irregular state gives them a voice that they may not otherwise have.

Here's a recent video. He flat out says it at 21:25.

Here's another from a few months ago.
I have been watching the articles but got fooled by this last time under Pope Benedict. Same thing occurred then, lots of articles saying this is a done deal then wham. No deal. Still skeptical.

Personally, I am torn. I think a deal would be great for the Church however Pope Francis has not generally been a friend of Catholic Tradition.
I am with the Captain in that we have seen so many occasions like this one where everything falls apart at the very end and there is no deal, that I just feel that I will believe it when I see it.

I do think that if there is a deal, it will be a wonderful thing for the Church.
I do also feel that there is some plan behind it to destroy the SSPX.
I also feel that God will save the SSPX from such a thing, and thwart those who plan in the background.
I also feel that some with a certain amount of ill will are naively thinking that the SSPX can be just 'taken' like the FFI.

In the end, I suppose I think it would be great, and I think that they cannot refuse an offer that is good on paper, and that ultimately whether or not they survive the subsequent onslaught will depend on who controls the assets. For me, this is the only real issue, becuase if the SSPX get some underhanded attack, they can always pull out again, provided they still control their assets.

It didn't work out with the most tradition-friendly pope in decades, so we might as well try with this wild card. Can't really be much worse.
In this whole SSPX thing, I am reminded of a scene in The Silmarillion in which an elf challenges Morgoth, this gigantic, monstrous, evil thing. It doesn't end well for the elf, but it made him my favorite character of all the stories I have read. Ultimately, the elf must walk into the darkness against the monster that cannot be beaten by any equivalent force. They must raise their banners and let themselves be seen by all, though it be only a brief moment before ecclesiastical death. Worst case, we all become SSPXers.
The SSPX should do as Archbishop Lefebre stated would need to happen and wait for a pope who will restore Tradition and clean up this travesty.  "They have the buildings, we have the faith". 
(02-28-2017, 11:04 AM)The Tax Collector Wrote: [ -> ]The SSPX should do as Archbishop Lefebre stated would need to happen and wait for a pope who will restore Tradition and clean up this travesty.  "They have the buildings, we have the faith".
Provided no one troubles them while they do so, within the context of a personal prelature, couldn't they restore Tradition from the inside? Would it not be better for there to be SSPX churches where people are not concerned about their attendance, rather than chapels and a lot of conflicting information from others? As it stands, people like me won't feel comfortable attending until their canonical status is sorted out. 
Pages: 1 2 3