FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: How to pick a Patron Saint?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm going to be confirmed in a bit over a month but I don't know which Saint to pick. I'm going to join the Angelic Warfare Confraternity, so there would be no point in picking Saint Thomas Aquinas, and I'm thinking of the religious life maybe one day so it would not be advisable to pick the founder of an order like Saint Dominic. What to do?
(03-08-2017, 06:21 PM)GoodKingWenceslas Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to be confirmed in a bit over a month but I don't know which Saint to pick. I'm going to join the Angelic Warfare Confraternity, so there would be no point in picking Saint Thomas Aquinas, and I'm thinking of the religious life maybe one day so it would not be advisable to pick the founder of an order like Saint Dominic. What to do?

Well, in the thread about favorite Saints, you chose "Saint Thomas Aquinas, Saint Dominic, Saint Thomas More." Since SS Thomas Aquinas and Dominic are out, what about St. Thomas More? Or ask God which you should choose and see if you get a sign! (it could happen!).

Me, I was confirmed before I became trad, in the N.O. rite, and couldn't make up my mind. So my priest let me choose THREE patrons, and one isn't even canonized (seriously). I'm "Michael Francis Black Elk" LOL

(03-08-2017, 06:21 PM)GoodKingWenceslas Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to be confirmed in a bit over a month but I don't know which Saint to pick. I'm going to join the Angelic Warfare Confraternity, so there would be no point in picking Saint Thomas Aquinas, and I'm thinking of the religious life maybe one day so it would not be advisable to pick the founder of an order like Saint Dominic. What to do?

In your life as a Catholic, you will learn about many saints.  Some will be more interesting to you than others will be.  Some will have lived lives that inspire you more than others.  Choosing your patron saint isn't so much about choosing your favorite saint.  In my experience, that can change many times as the years go by, you learn more, and your life situation changes.  For example, St. Francis of Assisi is a common patron saint to choose, because he is very well-known.  There are also patron saints of expectant mothers, engaged people, married people, students, as well as many other types of people and situations.  There are many other saints whose stories are also very beautiful, and people often find those stories more intriguing because the saint is less-known.  Read as much as you can about the saints, and most of all pray for guidance, and I'm sure you'll make the right decision.
It sounds corny but in my experience I didn't really pick my saint, I honestly believe he picked me. I came across him at random on the internet and after reading about him even though our life situations are completely different I just knew that he and I would have been good friends had we known one another. Then some weird coincidences started popping up, for example it turns out that his earthly birthday is the day before mine and that he died at the same age I discovered Catholicism and I kept coming across references to him out of the blue. He was probably the first saint I really connected with and I probably wouldn't be here without his and Our Lady's intercession.
I didn't choose a Confirmation saint simply because I was never asked. My case is unique, though, because my Baptismal name is different from my birth name and it's what I ended up legally changing my name to, and that happens to be a saint, albeit a very obscure one (St. Cera/Kera of Kilkeary). I was Baptized and Confirmed on the same day, so you could say my Baptismal saint is also my Confirmation saint. All I've discovered about her is that she was an abbess in Ireland and is a pre-Schism saint.
Do you guys have any ideas for saints who have a really inspiring story?
(03-18-2017, 10:09 PM)GoodKingWenceslas Wrote: [ -> ]Do you guys have any ideas for saints who have a really inspiring story?
I'd love to help.

You may enjoy this website, where Saint biographies can either be read personally, read to you, or both. https://www.franciscanmedia.org/sod-calendar/

Male Saints

Saint Maximilian Kolbe sacrificed himself in a concentration camp so another person could live.

Saint Vincent Ferrer was so full of God that he raised people from the dead.

Saint Francis of Assisi was one of the most Christlike men the world has ever seen.

Saint Athanasius was a fierce defender of orthodoxy.

Saint Michael the Archangel defends us from demonic forces.

Saint Joseph is the model for all fathers, and if you go into religious life, he would be a model for you as a spiritual father.

Pope Saint Pius V defended the Church during the Protestant Revolt.

Pope Saint Pius X was a bold and holy leader of the Church.

Saint Pio of Pietrelcina was a very holy priest with powerful spiritual gifts.

Saint John Vianney is one of the holiest priests in the Church's history.

Female Saints (just in case!)

Our Lady...I mean, I think she speaks for herself.

Saint Therese of Lisieux showed us how even the smallest act, if done with love, is beautiful and meritorious.

Saint Maria Goretti didn't want her purity to be endangered, so she was stabbed to death. She appeared to her murderer in a vision or a dream (not sure which) and he converted. He was present at her canonization.

Saint Teresa of Avila had great spiritual insight and was a powerful voice at the time of the Protestant Revolt.

Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque was the recipient of the Sacred Heart devotion.

Saint Catherine Laboure received the Miraculous Medal.

Saint Bernadette saw Our Lady at Lourdes.