FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is he Saint Marcell Lefebvre?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is he Saint Marcell Lefebvre, yes or no?
I put up this site about a year ago:

SaintMarcelLefebvre.com
If we ever see a restored Catholic Church it may very well happen.
Abp. Lefebvre may well be in heaven, but he has not been canonized by the Church.  It would be improper to refer to him as "Saint," though it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask his intercession.  I wonder what he would have to say about the state of things in the Church today.  I wonder what he would have to say about the SSPX today.  We must be patient.  Eventually, the truth will come out and justice will reign.  It took 25 years after her execution for St. Joan of Arc to be vindicated, and almost 500 years for her to be canonized.  The collapse of the Faith in this era will have to be complete, so that all that will be left of the Church will be Tradition.  When that happens, maybe we'll get a traditional pope who will investigate his life and eventually canonize him.  I don't expect to see it in my lifetime, but those who do see it will look back on the traditionalists of this generation and be grateful for their steadfastness in the true Faith in spite of the wolves that circle around them.
Only time will tell. He could be saint eventually, or he could be akin to Ignaz von Dollinger depending on how history looks at the 20th century reforms and the Second Vatican Council. If it weren't for Archbishop Lefebvre there probably wouldn't have been a Latin Mass community left anywhere today outside the original hardline trad groups, most of whom became some permutation of sedevacantist. 

That being said, at least at this point in time there's no way of knowing what the fate of Archbishop Lefebvre or his Society will be in the future. Certainly you can ask for his intercession if you want;there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't expect the official Church to vindicate him anytime soon when it has largely turned its back on its own patrimony and only begrudgingly tolerates traditionalists as one embarrassing option among many for how to b a Catholic.
No. That he is heaven, I have no doubt. I invoke his prayers frequently. But, until the Church returns to sanity and canonises him, to call him 'Saint' is premature.
(03-12-2017, 07:48 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]No. That he is heaven, I have no doubt. I invoke his prayers frequently. But, until the Church returns to sanity and canonises him, to call him 'Saint' is premature.

Who else is going to venture to say that he is a Saint?  Bp. Fellay won't touch it now.  He should, but he won't.  Maybe we as Catholic laity need to say so.
Instead of canonizing him, you might start by simply spelling his name correctly.
(03-12-2017, 08:52 PM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]Instead of canonizing him, you might start by simply spelling his name correctly.

Good catch! Smile
(03-12-2017, 08:14 PM)EliRotello Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-12-2017, 07:48 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]No. That he is heaven, I have no doubt. I invoke his prayers frequently. But, until the Church returns to sanity and canonises him, to call him 'Saint' is premature.

Who else is going to venture to say that he is a Saint?  Bp. Fellay won't touch it now.  He should, but he won't.  Maybe we as Catholic laity need to say so.

No one but the Pope may venture to say that he is a Saint. Bishop Fellay understands that, and that he has absolutely nothing to say in the matter. The SSPX does distribute prayer cards to ask for his canonisation. As laity, all we can do is to ask his intercession and report favours received.
Pages: 1 2