FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: A question about my name and the saint who shares it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://catholicsaints.info/saint-cera-of-kilkeary/

"Kera," the spelling of my name, is listed as an alternate spelling here.

I know that the pronunciation "Keer-uh" is common, and I can see from the other spellings that "Kee-arr-uh" is a viable way of pronouncing her name.

I pronounce my name "Care-uh."

I was wondering if anyone can verify if "Care-uh" is a viable pronunciation when it comes to the spellings listed here. I know that the name "Kara" is pronounced this way and was wondering if that's a quirk or if it would apply to St. Cera of Kilkeary as well.
I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure that Celtic uses a hard "C".

But then again, there's the Boston basketball team... ???
This question vexes me in the best way, since I have never been able to make heads or tails of Irish spelling. Too bad we lost DevotedKnuckles, our resident (Real IRA? Provisional IRA?) IRA freedom fighter. Anyway, your question is difficult for a few reasons: the saint dates back to ancient times, so we might use a reconstruction of Old Irish pronunciation or Middle Irish. Another problem might be the different spellings, which may or may not be significant: Ciara, Cera. Yet another problem emerges if we consider modern Gaelic pronunciations: which Gaelic? There are many varieties of Irish and Scots Gaelic, some of which are endangered or now extinctt.

I think it would  be difficult to prove that Care-uh is not a reasonable rendering for English speakers for how some Gaelic speaker somewhere, at some point, might have pronounced the name. But where and when? A comparative chart of the development of Gaelic vowels, across dialects and time, might prove useful, but I do not know where one is handy.
One of my favorite actors, Ciaran Hinds, uses a hard "C".

I loved him Persuasion!  :loveeyes: ::swoon::

I imagine this is like the AUgustine vs AugUstine debate or whether or not to pronounce the "e" in Jerome. When it comes to old saint names they frequently change drastically to fit the phonetics of different languages, some may be very different from the original pronunciation but that doesn't mean they are wrong.
Thank you for the feedback! :)

It's kind of like what I want to name a future daughter if God gives me one. Gianna, like St. Gianna Beretta Molla, is pronounced 'JAHN-nah' in the Italian, from what I've read, but I'd pronounce it 'Gee-ahh-nuh.'