FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Why Does Everyone Think Nuns are Mean?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Seriously? Why? What did they do to be universally stereotyped as mean, abusive and intolerant.  And why do people not much older than me come out and say how abusive the nuns were in Catholic School?
I loved the nuns who taught me in Catholic school. Yes, they were strict. Mean? Mean is what the government school teachers do when they enforce political correctness.

Anti-nun hysteria is just part of the prevailing superstition against all things Christian, especially Catholic. I hope the freethinking and oh-so-enlightened secular humanists come to enjoy their Christless eternity.
I do not remember the nuns being mean either. I remember them being  strict but understanding.  I also do  not remember ever seeing them with a ruler unless it was math class and we were working on measurements.
Mean?  No, not really.  Strict?  Yes, most of the time.  And who were they the strictest with?  The bad/mean kids, that's who.  At least that was my experience.  Mind your manner and listen to what was said/done; no problem.  Do the opposite; you got yourself a problem.

With that in mind, every time you hear some adult complaining how s/he was mistreated by nuns, I would bet good money it was because that adult was once a mis-mannered problem child.
The other posters that replied already covered what I would say. Nuns are strict but they are surely not mean. The issue is how people misinterpret the two. Think about it, the same can be said of parents. When they are strict, for our well-being, we huff, puff and accuse them of being mean. The same perception applies to nuns. In latter, modern generations, children (at least the ones that get their memories of nuns at this stage) are used to being coddled and not corrected sternly. Once a nun does proper, and deserved, correction that stands out and the memory remains that they were "mean." It's a total misinterpretation.
(03-17-2017, 04:38 PM)Bonaventure Wrote: [ -> ]Mean?  No, not really.  Strict?  Yes, most of the time.  And who were they the strictest with?  The bad/mean kids, that's who.  At least that was my experience.  Mind your manner and listen to what was said/done; no problem.  Do the opposite; you got yourself a problem.

With that in mind, every time you hear some adult complaining how s/he was mistreated by nuns, I would bet good money it was because that adult was once a mis-mannered problem child.

Well that right there probably explains every Hollywood stereotype about nuns!  LOL
I think part of it is that they have a certain "separateness" which many people can find intimidating if they aren't used to it.
Nuns are some of the most loving, joyful people you will ever see. Smile
Maybe there is somebody who should have a guilty conscience.
My mom went to Catholic school in the sixties and seventies, and she says that some of the nuns were mean, others were nice to the point of softness, others were "strict but fair."  Interestingly, when she and her sisters reminisce they often differ: she might say Sister So-and-so was mean, and my aunt says "oh, I liked Sister So-and-so."  So in short, they sound like any other group of teachers: some are nice and some are mean, some have high standards others don't, etc.
Pages: 1 2