FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is there a traditional method for getting things Blessed within a Parish?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there a traditional method for getting things Blessed within a Parish? Such as after Mass on a particular Sunday? As it stands you have to just catch the Priest after Mass and hope he has a couple of minutes to Bless your objects.
That's the way it's been in almost every Parish I've ever been involved in, Traditional or NO, Western or Eastern.
(03-17-2017, 12:48 AM)GratefulDad Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a traditional method for getting things Blessed within a Parish? Such as after Mass on a particular Sunday? As it stands you have to just catch the Priest after Mass and hope he has a couple of minutes to Bless your objects.
I guess another alternative is to make an appointment. I've found it hard myself to figure out how/when to do it.
You might want to try and have him set up a time when he would bless anything that would need that, maybe after mass every 1st and 3rd Sunday or something to that effect, maybe for 20 or 30 minutes for anyone who is interested. 
Our parish (SSPX) has a blessing of things after Mass on the third Sunday of the month.

The FSSP parish across town does the same thing, as does the Institute oratory downtown.

So either all three of these groups came to the same conclusion independently or this is a rather "traditional" way to handle it.
That would be great if more parishes had a special day for blessing of objects.
Great. This is just what I needed to know. Sounds like something the Parish can put in the bulletin too so everyone is aware of it and plan for.
(03-17-2017, 01:35 PM)GratefulDad Wrote: [ -> ]Great. This is just what I needed to know. Sounds like something the Parish can put in the bulletin too so everyone is aware of it and plan for.

Yep, it's in our bulletin.

At the FSSP parish, the blessing is done basically during the ablutions. While the priest saying Mass is doing the ablutions, blessing, last Gospel, another priest comes out and blesses all the stuff that people have left in the front of the Church. That's a good way to do it because some things take special blessings that can take a little longer according to the Roman Ritual.
(03-17-2017, 12:48 AM)GratefulDad Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a traditional method for getting things Blessed within a Parish? Such as after Mass on a particular Sunday? As it stands you have to just catch the Priest after Mass and hope he has a couple of minutes to Bless your objects.

If you can arrange it at a more faithfully Eastern parish, the traditional way of having items blessed in the Byzantine rite is to give it to the priest to place on the altar during liturgy, so that it is blessed on the same altar and at the same time as the consecration takes place.  It doesn't make the blessing any more valid or any more effective, but it can make it a little more meaningful for some.
(03-17-2017, 10:50 AM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]Our parish (SSPX) has a blessing of things after Mass on the third Sunday of the month.

The FSSP parish across town does the same thing, as does the Institute oratory downtown.

So either all three of these groups came to the same conclusion independently or this is a rather "traditional" way to handle it.

People who go to those traditional churches have lots of religious objects that they want blessed.  If they don't set up a specific time for that, then people would be continuously stopping the priest to ask for a blessing.  Once in awhile may be OK, and I'm sure each of them have blessed something in an airport or some place like that, but many priests have to be rather strict on when they will bless things otherwise they'll never be able to get anywhere.
Pages: 1 2