FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Apologetics for defending Papacy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All,

I have a heretic at work who constantly is attacking Christ's words in Matthew and claims that we are "all rocks in the foundation", that the Pope "is my equal". Then he goes on to say that the Papacy is a man made invention, the word Pope isn't in scripture, etc.

Do we have anything that I can say back to this guy that will essentially kill his arguments?

Thanks.
(03-17-2017, 03:49 PM)oremus1984 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello All,

I have a heretic at work who constantly is attacking Christ's words in Matthew and claims that we are "all rocks in the foundation", that the Pope "is my equal". Then he goes on to say that the Papacy is a man made invention, the word Pope isn't in scripture, etc.

Do we have anything that I can say back to this guy that will essentially kill his arguments?

Thanks.

"Kill his arguments" is probably not possible or wise. Truthfully I would suggest if he is really interested in the question of Peter and the Church you ought to try to get him to take his time and dig deep into church history on his own. One cannot just pull out " proof texts" divorced from their context or only read Roman Catholic apologetics in order to get a broad evenhanded picture of such an important issue.

I can only speak for myself here but this question of Peter and the papacy is one wherein I have never found any silver bullet arguments....
formerbuddhist has a point, but a more fundamental issue is that it is generally fruitless to have such conversations with someone who is not arguing in good faith; it's potentially even dangerous. If he is interested in learning about Catholicism, you can direct him to appropriate sources. If he is just trying to spray his flamethrower to scare you out of the Church and into his sect or if he is just being an ass, responding with apologetics is a waste of your time. Better to leave it at "God bless. I'll pray for you."
(03-17-2017, 03:49 PM)oremus1984 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello All,

Thanks.

Niether is:

The Holy Trinity
Sola Scriptura
and which books are supposed to be in the Bible...where does it say in the Bible, that the book of Mormon isn't Scripture?

Peter is Pope, why is it that Jesus chose him to build His Church in Matthew?  Why is it that there is a significance in all four Gospels of Peter's betrayal of Jesus?  Why not Matthew, or John, or Andrew?  Why is it that Jesus specifically thrice said to Peter "Feed my sheep"?  Why is it up to Peter to make the final decision at the Council of Jerusalem in Acts, when Paul clearly was the stronger and more effective missionary?

Gee IDK...it sure sounds like some Popery is going on.
In addition to austenbosten's information:

- Peter's name is mentioned far more than any other apostle.

- In a list of names, Peter's name is always listed first, although the order of the other apostles' names may vary. Judas Iscariot is always listed last. In other words, you have the visible head of the Church listed first every time and the son of perdition listed last every time. The order in-between these two "bookends" is unimportant.