FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Francis calls for end to “mediocrity” in liturgical music (Aleteia)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thumb

Full title: Pope Francis calls for end to “mediocrity, banality and superficiality” in liturgical music

"Pope Francis has called for an end to the “mediocrity, superficiality and banality” that has entered into liturgical music in the Catholic Church since Vatican II.

Such banal music, the pope has said, has been detrimental to the “beauty and intensity of liturgical celebrations,” and can hinder clergy and faithful from “participating intensely in the mystery of God” made present at each Holy Mass."

More here:

http://aleteia.org/2017/03/08/pope-franc...cal-music/
Be wary!

We know Bergoligio's taste of theology and his disdain for the TLM...I don't think that Jorge's idea of beautiful music in anyway will be what we have traditionally known beautiful music to be. 

Expect more of this:

[Image: Worship-team.jpg]

And Less this:

[Image: 2013-chant-cd-practice.jpg]
Vague, utterly useless words from the Holy Father. Unless he specifies what constitutes banal, superficial, or mediocre, we're left with nothing but our personal judgment, with nothing more than "I like vanilla more than chocolate."

As a musician and as someone interested in philosophy of art and art history, phrases like, "[...] it is necessary to ensure that sacred music and liturgical chant are fully “inculturated” in the current artistic and musical languages; that they are able, that is, to embody and translate the Word of God in songs, sounds, and harmonies that make the hearts of our contemporaries throb, also creating an appropriate emotional atmosphere that disposes one to faith [...]"

and

"To facilitate this process, we need to promote proper musical formation, also for those who are preparing to become priests, in dialogue with the musical trends of our time, with organizations representing the different cultural spheres, and with an ecumenical attitude"

are completely meaningless to me. The musical trends of our times? What musical trends? Has the Holy Father looked at the top ten most viewed YouTube videos lately? Those musical trends? Does he know about how popular the Monks of Norcia have become by their chant CDs as well as other religious? Which musical trends?

Hearts throbbing? Well, what does the Holy Father think about music like this:

Read the comments. See those beaming smiles. Does he think that those peoples' hearts are not throbbing? The issue isn't whether our hearts are throbbing.

I know plenty of people who find much of the tradition of sacred organ music as utterly antiquated and boring, yet that music makes my heart throb. But I would say my support of that heritage of music is not based simply on how I feel about it but rational arguments and clear definitions.

And what do you do when the schola at your parish, if you have one, is terrible at chanting, and it becomes unbearable to listen to chant?

In short, it's not even that this reflection of the Holy Father is inadequate or "not good enough," it's hardly coherent.

He probably wants more "house music," if you know what I mean. Bishop Paglia would love it. And it'd certainly reflect a "dialogue with the musical trends of our time" (what does that even mean? How does one "dialogue" with a musical trend? I hate that sort of goofy language.)
Why do I picture this ending up as snake handlers grooving to the Grateful Dead?
(03-18-2017, 08:31 PM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]Why do I picture this ending up as snake handlers grooving to the Grateful Dead?

Reminds me of this:

LOL
I'm trying to find some kind of silver lining in this Papal cloud.  Grin The vagueness is a problem, though. That's been a big problem throughout this pontificate...trying to figure out what he's saying.
(03-18-2017, 10:39 PM)In His Love Wrote: [ -> ]I'm trying to find some kind of silver lining in this Papal cloud.  Grin

That's easy- it won't last forever.
(03-18-2017, 10:39 PM)In His Love Wrote: [ -> ]I'm trying to find some kind of silver lining in this Papal cloud.  Grin The vagueness is a problem, though. That's been a big problem throughout this pontificate...trying to figure out what he's saying.

Best of luck!
Now, Now...........At least he said it.  Perhaps he will elucidate.  We should pray for this. 

So how do we work to restore the Mass to it's former glory?  I have been considering writing chant in English as a way to reintroduce the sense of sacredness in our N.O. parish.  Some things must be done in baby steps.  The crux of the matter is to have charity for all the souls in the parish. I think the music itself will be enough of a witness to attract the soul back to the sacred. I don't think it charitable to take a position of insisting on a return to a TLM in an N.O. parish. They would just tune me out and leaving is out of the question.  I am sure I am where God wants me. I am not a church jumper.

As a senior choir member I have been advocating for 4 part hymns successfully,  and do sing some hymns in Latin on occasion.  Our new pastor is in his first assignment at our parish and did not have a positive response to more Latin. It seems to be an issue of not wanting to rock the boat, but he is young and I am patient. Encouragement is better than complaint.

Another idea is to start a local chant group from our 4 area churches. This might work, in that if well executed, we might be able to create/restore a movement in the hearts of the greater community.

I wish we could send the hymnals back to the publisher with redaction's.  Some songs should be sentenced to a bonfire. On a resent business trip to Florida, while attending Mass, I had to struggle with my mind wanting to see beehive hairdo's on the "musick" ministry gals, all the while wondering if I had been transported to the Grand ole Opry. So hard to concentrate at Mass sometimes.