FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Francis: Peter Crucified Upside-down So God Could Wash His Feet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Yes, he seriously said that. He said that St. Peter was crucified upside-down so that God could wash His feet. This comes from Ecco di cosa ha parlato Papa Francesco con i vescovi canadesi, about an audience Francis had with the Prelates of the Canadian Assembly of Western Catholic Bishops. Archbishop John Michael Miller was asked what the Pope talked about. His reply:

"Ma di cosa ha parlato il Papa in due ore e mezza? “Di moltissime cose. Ha parlato di Pietro, del fatto che sia stato crocifisso a testa in giù perché Dio potesse lavargli i piedi”.

Translation: But what did the Pope speak about for two and a half hours? "Lots of things. he spoke of Peter, and the fact that he was crucified head down so that God could wash his feet."
He just makes stuff up.  The more absurd the better, apparently.

If you listen to EWTN radio they will have their reporters regularly give Francis' inane words on something as if it is some profound insight.

It really is just all too embarrassing. 
I'm trying to figure out a way that this can make sense, and I really can't figure anything out  LOL.

BTW, speaking of Italian are there any decent Italian trad sites out there? Seems like everything out there is from the US.
To play devil's advocate, is it possible he meant it as a comment on how St. Peter met fate on this earth?  Given his temperament, I could see the first pope saying something along those lines to mock his executioners.  Kind of like Saint Lawrence saying "Flip me over, this side is done."

Just a thought.
Traditionally it's said that Peter chose to be crucified upside down in humility because he deemed himself unworthy to suffer the same death as Our Lord. I could see it as being an act of Peter washing the feet of the other Christians by setting such an example of humility as Our Lord showed when he washed Peter's feet, but I'm not quite sure how it goes so that Peter did this so that God can wash Peter's feet. My only shot in the dark is that connection whereas when Christ washed Peter's feet and he rebuked him, this time he accepts it.
Other than simply to do it differently than Christ, the two other explanations I have seen in the Fathers are
(1) that his head could be where Christ's feet were, so he could symbolically kiss His feet.
(2) Christ came from Heaven down to earth, whereas Peter originated on earth, but would be following Him up to Heaven (ie Christ came down so we can go up).

(03-31-2017, 10:27 AM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]To play devil's advocate, is it possible he meant it as a comment on how St. Peter met fate on this earth?  Given his temperament, I could see the first pope saying something along those lines to mock his executioners.  Kind of like Saint Lawrence saying "Flip me over, this side is done."

Just a thought.

Eh, don't bother trying to eke out a sane thought from this papal madness. You'd be better off looking for John, Paul, George, and Ringo in a literal yellow submarine somewhere in the Mariana trench.
(03-31-2017, 12:14 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-31-2017, 10:27 AM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]To play devil's advocate, is it possible he meant it as a comment on how St. Peter met fate on this earth?  Given his temperament, I could see the first pope saying something along those lines to mock his executioners.  Kind of like Saint Lawrence saying "Flip me over, this side is done."

Just a thought.

Eh, don't bother trying to eke out a sane thought from this papal madness. You'd be better off looking for John, Paul, George, and Ringo in a literal yellow submarine somewhere in the Mariana trench.

Concurred.  I really wish he'd speak concisely, instead of in vague riddles that remind of Buddha meets the Lion King.  And the confusion is only compounded by the reporting of the anti-Catholic press, who are only too willing to distort anything a Catholic official says.  Especially the pope.

[Image: imagesK4EZ4J7S.jpg]
It actually comes across like a folk belief, like some of the odd things you hear from deeply faithful but poorly catechized old people. One would hope the Pope is well catechized, but I suppose there's no guarantee.  Crazy!
Perhaps he meant it as a metaphor? Jesus washed feet as a sign of service, so maybe Pope Francis meant it like, "St. Peter was crucified upside down as a sign of his service to Our Lord and Our Lord took care of him as well"?

I don't know.

That's a huge problem with Francis' whole pontificate: "He said something, but I don't know what he meant."
Pages: 1 2