FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Spiritual Warfare
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently purchased a book about spiritual warfare, entitled Manual of Spiritual Warfare by Paul Thigpen, published by TAN. This book gives a lot of information and also many prayers to be said for protection and casting out evil. It says something in the book about Exorcism prayers must be said by a priest, but parents can say prayers specifically for their children because they have authority over them. The prayers I have been saying for my children are from the Prayers for Strength and Deliverance section. These prayers are from Fr. Amorth's Book, An Exorcist Tells His Story. Anyway, today on EWTN, I saw a man (not a priest) giving a talk about possessions and exorcisms (and he is works with priests who are exorcists) and he said none of the prayers should ever be said by anyone but an Exorcist. Is there a priest reading this that knows for certain? I can't ask my parish priest about this (please believe me, there is a good reason, I'd rather not go into). I have been saying the prayers for about a week, but need to know if I have to stop, or if I can pray them. It basically commands Satan in Jesus' name to leave my child (who is in dire need of deliverance)
While unable to answer your questions here is information from a priest that specializes in this subject who also has a book entitled

Deliverance Prayers: For Use by the Laity Paperback – December 10, 2016
by Fr. Chad A Ripperger PhD (Author)

Paul Thigpen also has a book called Saints Who Battled Satan. It may be helpful to you.

(04-01-2017, 09:14 PM)coco2 Wrote: [ -> ]I recently purchased a book about spiritual warfare, entitled Manual of Spiritual Warfare by Paul Thigpen, published by TAN. This book gives a lot of information and also many prayers to be said for protection and casting out evil. It says something in the book about Exorcism prayers must be said by a priest, but parents can say prayers specifically for their children because they have authority over them. The prayers I have been saying for my children are from the Prayers for Strength and Deliverance section. These prayers are from Fr. Amorth's Book, An Exorcist Tells His Story. Anyway, today on EWTN, I saw a man (not a priest) giving a talk about possessions and exorcisms (and he is works with priests who are exorcists) and he said none of the prayers should ever be said by anyone but an Exorcist. Is there a priest reading this that knows for certain? I can't ask my parish priest about this (please believe me, there is a good reason, I'd rather not go into). I have been saying the prayers for about a week, but need to know if I have to stop, or if I can pray them. It basically commands Satan in Jesus' name to leave my child (who is in dire need of deliverance)

What was the name of the person being interviewed (the one who was not a priest)? Was it Adam Blai?
(04-02-2017, 04:19 PM)The Tax Collector Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-01-2017, 09:14 PM)coco2 Wrote: [ -> ]I recently purchased a book about spiritual warfare, entitled Manual of Spiritual Warfare by Paul Thigpen, published by TAN. This book gives a lot of information and also many prayers to be said for protection and casting out evil. It says something in the book about Exorcism prayers must be said by a priest, but parents can say prayers specifically for their children because they have authority over them. The prayers I have been saying for my children are from the Prayers for Strength and Deliverance section. These prayers are from Fr. Amorth's Book, An Exorcist Tells His Story. Anyway, today on EWTN, I saw a man (not a priest) giving a talk about possessions and exorcisms (and he is works with priests who are exorcists) and he said none of the prayers should ever be said by anyone but an Exorcist. Is there a priest reading this that knows for certain? I can't ask my parish priest about this (please believe me, there is a good reason, I'd rather not go into). I have been saying the prayers for about a week, but need to know if I have to stop, or if I can pray them. It basically commands Satan in Jesus' name to leave my child (who is in dire need of deliverance)

What was the name of the person being interviewed (the one who was not a priest)? Was it Adam Blai?

I didn't see the very beginning of the program so I didn't catch his name.  He wasn't a priest, but says he works with exorcists and with people who need exorcisms.  He was giving a talk, it looked like it was at a conference.
(04-02-2017, 07:44 PM)coco2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2017, 04:19 PM)The Tax Collector Wrote: [ -> ]

I didn't see the very beginning of the program so I didn't catch his name.  He wasn't a priest, but says he works with exorcists and with people who need exorcisms.  He was giving a talk, it looked like it was at a conference.

It sounds as if it could be Adam Blai, who is a peritus ( subject matter expert) in religious demonology and exorcism for the Pittsburgh diocese and an auxiliary member of the International Association of Exorcists. His authority to teach priests comes by formal decree of his Bishop.  He has a masters in psychology and he is a great interview;  I found him to exercise great piety in speaking about his work in any interviews I have heard. 

http://www.religiousdemonology.com/about.html

His website has good basic reference information.  Parents praying with and blessing their children is a fundamental  part of family prayer life.  Concerning authority to recite deliverance prayers, the experts advice may have more to do with the risks of  getting trapped by preternatural intelligence and making a situation worse for all involved, than with  actual authority to recite the deliverance prayers.  I  will reiterate what he says concerning the risks to the laity in confronting demons without authority. 

Quote:Having "power" or "authority" are dangerous ideas because they inflate the ego and lead people to pride about their imagined greatness. This is exactly what the Devil wants because then they are likely to overstep their bounds. The devil's first sin was pride and it is a great human weakness and therefore he often tricks people into shifting the respect and credit due to God toward mortals who have no intrinsic power or authority without Jesus. We do have authority over demons when we invoke the name of Jesus but that is Jesus, not us, that affects the demons.

That bit about "authority" doesn't ring true to me. The object of deliverance prayers are demons, and no one has authority over them in terms of expelling them from the possessed but God Himself (which includes God acting through priests).

There's a difference between minor exorcisms and Solemn Exorcism (used against demons possessing someone). I think you might be conflating the two. You talk about prayers you found in a book by Fr. Amorth -- and then talk about a priest on EWTN "giving a talk about possessions and exorcisms." I assume the EWTN priest is talking about Solemn Exorcisms, which the laity are not allowed to get into, while Fr. Amorth was talking about simple prayers the laity can pray to drive out evil spirit.

Sacramentals and prayer drive away evil spirit, for ex., so have "exorcizing" properties, and they derive their power from God and His Church.  Claiming "authority" over demons -- NO. You don't have authority over them; Christ does. The priest as a man has no authority over them either, but the priest as one who acts in persona Christi does. The power and authority he exhibits isn't his as a man; it's Christ working through him.

Make use of sacramentals, bless your children, pray the St. Michael prayer with them, receive the Sacraments -- IOW, do what Catholics have done for 2,000 years. But don't claim any "authority" over demons. That is highly dangerous. The Church has provided the faithful with means to drive out evil spirit (the things already mentioned); any form of exorcism going beyond that, any Solemn Exorcism, is for priests to deal with.

See The Preternatual World sub-section of the FE website, off the Being Catholic section.

That sounds like a binding prayer which is a recommended practice by one of the Audio Sancto priests.

The part about authority is totally correct, priests are given the authority to say exorcism prayers by their bishops. Parents have not been given that authority.
I can't remember where I found this...

Quote:Binding Prayer
Spirit of N., I bind you in the Name of Jesus, by the power of the most Precious Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ
and by the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Michael the Archangel, the blessed Apostles, Peter and Paul and all of the saints,
and I command you to leave N. (Name of person or object)
and go to the foot of the Holy Cross to receive your sentence,
in the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
(prayer courtesy of Father Chad Ripperger, Exorcist)