FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Latin Mass Parish in the finals for "Most Beautiful Church" in the country!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Forgive me if this is against the rules of this subforum and feel free to move it as desired. Smile

St. Francis de Sales Oratory in St. Louis, Mo., a magnificent Neo-Gothic church run by the Institute of Christ the King and dedicated to the traditional sacraments, is currently in the final round of voting for the National "Most Beautiful Church in the Country" award!  We're up against another church which is beautiful in many ways, yet was wreckovated after the Council and thus clashes in its overall aesthetic.  Yet, the voting is still tight!

Please take a moment to support our beautiful Latin Mass parish! https://artandliturgy.com/2017/04/03/chu...hpionship/

(Photos from Lisa Johnston and Phil Roussin)
I voted. How were St. Alphonsus Liguori in Baltimore and St. John Cantius not included in the brackets at all? They are two of the most beautiful churches I've ever been to. St. Alphonsus could use a fresh coat of paint though  LOL
I'm not certain how they came up with their selections, because a lot of others were left out too, such as the New Cathedral and the Shrine of St. Joseph, both in St. Louis.  St. John Cantius won last year's inaugural contest, however.
Maybe they leave out prior year's winners. At least that would make some sense.
Just voted - It is a close one! 

ST. FRANCIS DE SALES ORATORY (ST. LOUIS, MO)  50.37%  (4,467 VOTES)

ST. JAMES CHURCH (LOUISVILLE, KY)  49.63%  (4,402 VOTES)

God Bless

Michael
St. Francis de Sales is one of my favorite churches to visit.

An OT question about it -- do they do the pre-1955 Holy Week there?
I decided I'd vote for whichever one I genuinely think is better, and it turned out to be St Francis de Sales. Very beautiful indeed! Looking at St James makes me feel like it's unfinished.
(04-06-2017, 01:26 PM)Etimasia Wrote: [ -> ]I decided I'd vote for whichever one I genuinely think is better, and it turned out to be St Francis de Sales. Very beautiful indeed! Looking at St James makes me feel like it's unfinished.
Well, absolutely, that's what everyone should do!  It's just that I'm sure we're all of like mind here. Wink
(04-06-2017, 01:25 PM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]St. Francis de Sales is one of my favorite churches to visit.

We do a bit of a hybrid, with varying levels of '55 and pre-'55 each year.  The lamentation tone of the Gospel, the banging the door with the base of the Crucifix, etc., yet most of the revised rites otherwise.  I'm M.C. this year for the Vigil, so I'll find out at our practice next week what our 2017 plans are. Wink
(04-06-2017, 01:29 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-06-2017, 01:25 PM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]St. Francis de Sales is one of my favorite churches to visit.

We do a bit of a hybrid, with varying levels of '55 and pre-'55 each year.  The lamentation tone of the Gospel, the banging the door with the base of the Crucifix, etc., yet most of the revised rites otherwise.  I'm M.C. this year for the Vigil, so I'll find out at our practice next week what our 2017 plans are. Wink

Thank you for responding -- I hope you all have a great Holy Week over there on the wrong side of Missouri!

I voted for St. Francis de Sales in the competition. It's truly a remarkable place. I remember the first time I went there, I was blown away by it. The pictures cannot capture the scale of the altar. It's really amazing.
Pages: 1 2