FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Why no modern English trad Bible translation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Actually the Douay-Rheims is the Bible version I'm the most familiar with, even though English is not my native language. Anything else (in English) sounds weird to me.

We have an old (19th century) Catholic translation of the New Testament (from the Vulgate), but I'm pretty sure we have no Catholic Old Testament translation.

In fact the NO readings for the Mass are taken from the Protestant Bible with some slight edits. I've always found that somewhat bizarre.
(04-18-2017, 02:38 PM)delsydebothom Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-18-2017, 11:38 AM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]DR can be quite difficult for many people to read. I wouldn't mind something that's a little bit easier to read, but doesn't destroy the meanings like the more modern versions. Certainly a difficult endeavor, but I'm sure some people could pull it off.

The main thing that would be lost is the distinction between singular and plural second person pronouns. The Thee/You distinction in early modern English more accurately reflects the underlying text. Modern English can't mimic this, unless one wants to employ colloquial solutions like "ya'll" or "youse".

Of course, English's main disadvantage--and this goes for the English of the Douay-Rheims as well--is our abysmal and meagerly productive participial system. Especially in passive forms, it is difficult in English to communicate all the grammatical data in Latin, Greek, or even Hebrew participles without creating extremely awkward constructs.
Example: kecharitomene as "full of grace." Obviously much better than the modernist "highly favored," but still it is difficult to get across in a translation that the Greek basically means "one who was given grace perfectly/completely in the past, the effects of which are still felt in the present."
(03-31-2021, 10:42 AM)williamus Wrote: [ -> ]Example: kecharitomene as "full of grace." Obviously much better than the modernist "highly favored," but still it is difficult to get across in a translation that the Greek basically means "one who was given grace perfectly/completely in the past, the effects of which are still felt in the present."
http://catholiccartoonblog.blogspot.com/...ation.html
(03-12-2021, 12:19 PM)Marmot Wrote: [ -> ]In fact the NO readings for the Mass are taken from the Protestant Bible with some slight edits. I've always found that somewhat bizarre.

Depends on the country. In the US, they're from the New American Bible, sometimes slightly edited, which is Catholic (sort of).

(03-12-2021, 12:19 PM)williamus Wrote: [ -> ]Example: kecharitomene as "full of grace." Obviously much better than the modernist "highly favored," but still it is difficult to get across in a translation that the Greek basically means "one who was given grace perfectly/completely in the past, the effects of which are still felt in the present."

It's a difficult word, but 'full of grace' is a good translation of Jerome's 'gratia plena' - 'full with grace' might be slightly better, since gratia is ablative, but that's a bit awkward in English.
10 Reasons Why I Left the Catholic Church

I was a Catholic for 33 years, Married to an ex nun who also was very much into the
Theology of the Catholic Church Doctrine. I left the church because the doctrines just did
not square with the Bible. I present the following for your consideration. Everything I
say here is based on the Scriptures. My purpose is for you to ask your teachers, “why do
your teachings do not follow what God's Word says to teach in 2 Timothy 3:16,17
“ All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof,
for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”(nothing else is needed He inspired it)
This is not an attempt to pull you away from your church but to ask the teachers why they
don't follow the Word, the Scriptures require of you.

1 – My change began when I started when I read the book called “The Modern Priest looks at the Outdated Church” by Father James Cavanaugh. After reading it I started to look at all the doctrines I had been taught. Examples were to Obey the 10 Commandments
Don't commit any Mortal sins (Defined as Grievous Matter, serious reflection and full consent of the will) and decide to do it anyway.
Receive the Sacraments (Baptism, Confirmation, Holy Eucharist Penance, Extreme Unction, Holy Orders and Matrimony, I'd go to Heaven via Purgatory (The place no one knows what if it really exists. Its only mentioned as an implied statement in 2 Maccabees). A purification no one knows anything about.
“Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost”; Titus 3;5
”For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast”. Ephesians 2:8,9
Matt 24:13 But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

2 – The Mass According to the Council of Trent, It says “If anyone says the mass is NOT
the true, proper, and propitiatory sacrifice, or that what is offered is nothing else that
Christ given to be eaten LET HIM BE ANATHEMA, meaning (accursed)
The Bible says Christ died once for all – The church is saying it is a repeated sacrifice
AGAIN from the Council “If anyone says the mass is a bare commemoration but not
Propitiatory, LET HIM BE ANATHEMA. My answer is the same
AGAIN from the council “If anyone says that the faith which justifices is nothing else but trust alone we are justified “LET HIM BE ANATHEMA
This one really bothered me. If the perfect sinless Jesus paid the price for all my sins and He's God, what more do I need to attain Salvation? The works mentioned in Colossians 2:13,14 “And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; ALSO in Scripture Heb 9:26 For then must He often have suffered since the foundation of  the world: but now once in the end of the world has appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself  (not repeatedly)

3 – The elements of Bread and Wine changing into the Body and Blood of Christ;   John 6:53 is the heart of the mass and the Catholic Church teachings, for the mass is the center of the faith: If you take the verse in the context of Verses 25 – 63 you will find the Jesus is speaking to the Apostles Spiritually but they are seeing it to be a physical happening. Yet in verse 63 the word says These thing are Spiritual and they are life: How do U explain Transubstantition in light of that different understanding of the apostles? Focus on verse 63 That makes the host an Idol, and the 10 Commandments go against that.

4 – Sinless Mary The church teaches she was without sin. Yet the Bible says in Romans 3:23 - “ All have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God” Vs 10 says There is none righteous no not one Luke 1:47 Mary says God my savior If she was without sin she didn't need a savior (The only qualifier is what “Bernadette of Fatima said when a lady appeared to her in a vision saying “She was the Immaculate Conception. As I mentioned in the initial verse sited
2 Tim 3:16,17 – 2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. Its the only inspired book from the Lord. (there's no exception mentioned in Gods Word = DO YOU SEE ANY EXCEPTIONS on this?

5 - The Papacy The church concludes that from Matt 6:18,19 You are Peter and upon this rock I will build my church. Problems with it's interpretation a) In Greek Peter is Petros a masculine derivative = a pebble; Rock is Petra a feminine derivative = a large rock: Your answer is Jesus spoke in Aramaic - Yet if you reason that out If Jesus was to make him the
leader of the church He would have simply said I will build mychurch on YOU Peter, but he didn't. So you are to believe the bible not the Church a man made organization & not the bible.
1 Peter 2:7“The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,” My point is, the church is not built on what the Pope says, It's built on what His Word says. The Pope is a sinner just like us. Unless we trust in Jesus alone for our salvation than our faith is worthless read Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. and remember you only get into CHRIST by this verse
Rom 8:9 You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to Him as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
Galatians 2:20 - I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ lives in me & the life I live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
1 Corinthians 15:16-19 “ For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins.Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. If in this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.” ALSO perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

6 – Your version of “Sola Scriptura” You follow the interpretation of the Scriptures from an Allegorical prospective which is “View literal sense as only a preliminary vehicle for getting beneath to that which' is deeper. To Catholics each man is a law unto himself. It obscures scripture by imposing
Eisegeses = Forcing the Bible to say what you want it to say rather than
Exegesis = Allows the verse to say what it says Literal defines this way Literal: Says the meaning of the scripture is the basis, customary and socially acknowledged designation of the terms with grammar and historical factors considered. A large part of the Bible makes sense this way. “If the normal sense makes good sense make it make no other sense or its nonsense.

7 – Praying to the Saints and Canonizing them The Bible says we have one advocate with the Father Jesus Christ the righteous 1John 2:1 “My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.” Jesus loves us so much and He wants all of us to be saved, why do we need to pray to others. Jesus is the only one we need to go to.

8- The Confessional God's word says to confess your sins to one an other It says nothing about a priest being able to forgive us our sins. God forgives sins not some human and certainly not a priest. Nothing in Biblical history was that ever a system of confession;

9 – The Rosary Ritual of repetitive prayers that supposedly is 4 recreating the passion of Jesus& the procession of the cross Jesus spoke against the religious leaders of the church What the Lord wants & He says He's definitely against repetitive prayers. & when U pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do 4 they think that they will B heard 4 their many words Do not B like them 4 UR Father knows what U need B 4 U ask him. Matt 6:7,8 “

10 – Praying to statues or the images of past people. In the 10 Comandments we R not to make false images. Moses spoke of it when came down 2 the people of making a calf 2 represent a person 2 worship. U conclude 4 URself if thats not idol worship Exod 20:4 says U shall not make 4 URself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, And what message does it give 2 unbelievers or new believers that when UR praying at a statue that U are praying 2 a heavenly person when the image is that U are praying 2 a statue idol. UR giving a wrong impression.

If your going to be true to your faith answer these claims as the word says in 1 Peter 3:15 but in your hearts regard Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to any one who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.
Just out of curiosity, then, why are you here?
(03-31-2021, 03:45 PM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]Depends on the country. In the US, they're from the New American Bible, sometimes slightly edited, which is Catholic (sort of).
Sorry, I was being unclear. I meant in Sweden.
(04-29-2021, 01:20 PM)J Michael Wrote: [ -> ]Just out of curiosity, then, why are you here?
+1

You would think that 33 years is sufficient for reading the Catechism. Or asking a priest.
Harmano, you should meditate on 1 Timothy 3:15.  The Church is "the pillar and bulwark of the truth."

Also, inquire into how the Bible was compiled. You will find that it is the Catholic Church that compiled and approved the Bible. The Catholic Church is its authentic interpreter.

Your interpretations of the Bible are rejected by the Catholic Church.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13