FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Why no modern English trad Bible translation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Quote:10 Reasons Why I Left the Catholic Church

Pretty convinced this is a drive by troll pushing washed up Protestant apologetics that have been dealt with decades ago. 

This exact same string of words was copied and pasted two other places online:

Reddit and Christian Chat

I suggest banning him and removing the post and removing my post with the follow up links.
Follow up to the above:

The poster is certainly a troll. The Christian Chat link shows that he posted this wall of text on a decade old thread two months ago and hasn't followed up with any engagement. He is just a protestant troll and should be ignored.
(04-18-2017, 11:38 AM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]DR can be quite difficult for many people to read. I wouldn't mind something that's a little bit easier to read, but doesn't destroy the meanings like the more modern versions. Certainly a difficult endeavor, but I'm sure some people could pull it off.

I'm new to the trad Catholic world. A few months ago, I decided to read the Bible straight through and I got the DR b/c it's the one favored. I'm an attorney who graduated second in his law school class. In other words, I'm more than comfortable reading difficult stuff. That said, I found DR too difficult and dropped it in favor of the RSV. DR might be "the best" but I far, far prefer the RSV for study. If I have issues or questions about a verse, I compare it with the many different translations that I have.
How is the DR difficult?
(05-05-2021, 05:03 PM)Marmot Wrote: [ -> ]How is the DR difficult?

I don't find it readable. There are dialogue exchanges where it isn't clear who's talking. Lots of pronouns when use of a proper noun would clear up who's speaking. 

If it works for you, it works for you. I'm not here to convince you otherwise, just telling you my experience.
(05-05-2021, 05:59 PM)Bryan Wrote: [ -> ]I don't find it readable. There are dialogue exchanges where it isn't clear who's talking. Lots of pronouns when use of a proper noun would clear up who's speaking. 
I see. I do recall not understanding at times who says what. I didn't understand this might be better in other translations.

I guess the ambiguities were also in the Vulgate. Maybe if you replace a pronoun with a proper noun, there's a risk you insert the wrong proper noun.
I prefer the RSV-2CE, Ignatius Study Bible series, for serious reading and study. I think the D-R is fine for devotional reading, but in many places it is clunky. There is no reason why people's names and geographical locations can't be changed into a modern version, e.g. "Noah" instead of "Noe" or "Joshua" instead of "Josue." Nothing is lost by making those names into something more readable.

The D-R's language lends itself rather well to the Psalms, but getting through St. Paul's epistles are sometimes like the reading equivalent of wading through knee-high mud.

Every translation has its strengths and weaknesses. I think some Trads feel compelled to attach themselves to the D-R out of strict association of it whether they find reading it fruitful or not.
It's rather that I only ever read the DR, so "Noe" etc. is normal to me.
I have the Douay-Rheims, the Knox and the RSV Second Catholic Edition.  I read the RSV every day for my lectio divina and I use it for reference.
(05-06-2021, 08:01 AM)Marmot Wrote: [ -> ]It's rather that I only ever read the DR, so "Noe" etc. is normal to me.

They're not only 'normal' to me, it's how I think of them and how I refer to them when writing. It always grates on me to see 'Elijah' instead of Elias, or 'Elisha' instead of Eliseus'. And I see those two a lot since they're both considered Patrons of the Carmelite Order.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13