FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Why no modern English trad Bible translation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(03-02-2021, 04:09 PM)venandi Wrote: [ -> ]I have many bibles of all kinds of translations.  My journey started as a Protestant, then Catholic, then sort of nothing and lost, and now slowly coming back home.

Most recently I have been using a DR that I bought from Baronius.  I love it.  The language can be hard to follow.  When I am stuck, I will grab another bible, usually an NIV as that is what my first bible was, to get a better sense of what is being said, then back to my DR.

The ESV bible is one I really like and I wish there was a Catholic version of it.

Ive also got an NAB that I don't really care for.  Then I have an Ignatious RSV or many NRSV?  They both read very odd to me.

Day to day though, I am on Team DR all the way.
There *is* a Catholic edition of the ESV now, btw.
(03-06-2021, 10:54 AM)anthonyagony Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2021, 04:09 PM)venandi Wrote: [ -> ]I have many bibles of all kinds of translations.  My journey started as a Protestant, then Catholic, then sort of nothing and lost, and now slowly coming back home.

Most recently I have been using a DR that I bought from Baronius.  I love it.  The language can be hard to follow.  When I am stuck, I will grab another bible, usually an NIV as that is what my first bible was, to get a better sense of what is being said, then back to my DR.

The ESV bible is one I really like and I wish there was a Catholic version of it.

Ive also got an NAB that I don't really care for.  Then I have an Ignatious RSV or many NRSV?  They both read very odd to me.

Day to day though, I am on Team DR all the way.
There *is* a Catholic edition of the ESV now, btw.

And here's a link to it: https://www.catholicbible.org/
(03-05-2021, 02:00 AM)Justin Tertius Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-05-2021, 12:42 AM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]I still like the KJV and quote it.  Unfortunately it is the "Bible" language of the English-speaking world.  D-R is good, but it can be clunky with the translation at times.

I think this is mostly just a leftover from an older tradition. King James is mostly associated with weirdo, evangelical fundies. The Douay version has always read well to me.

Sorry but DR just doesn't have the poetic melody of Psalm 22/23 that KJV does.

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want."
BCP Psalter: 'The LORD is my shepherd; * I shall not be in want.'
(03-06-2021, 01:40 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-06-2021, 12:50 AM)irenaeusofnewyork Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't the Anglican Ordinariate use a Catholic approved translation of the KJV? Kind of like RSV vs RSV-CE

I've no idea, but I've messaged Fr Vaughn Treco asking him. He was a Priest of the Ordinariate, until he was excommunicated for the 'crime' of actually being a Catholic.

Thanks. I hope his appeal is successful. There hasn't been an update online since 2019 on it.
(03-06-2021, 06:29 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry but DR just doesn't have the poetic melody of Psalm 22/23 that KJV does.

Maybe so, but the KJV is heretical, and the DR follows the tradition of the Church. Maybe "Dominus regit me, et nihil mihi deerit" lacks something, but it's what the Church has used for centuries in the liturgy. The New Vulgate from the 1970s has "Dominus pascit me", as does the Pius XII Psalter, but I'll stick with the old.
(03-07-2021, 01:05 PM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-06-2021, 06:29 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry but DR just doesn't have the poetic melody of Psalm 22/23 that KJV does.

Maybe so, but the KJV is heretical, and the DR follows the tradition of the Church.

Technically so, because it's not "approved" but in the days of the NAB and the Good News Bible - Catholic Edition, RSV-CE, and now the ESV-CE.....can we really denounce the KJV so vehemently with a straight face?
(03-07-2021, 01:32 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-07-2021, 01:05 PM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]

Maybe so, but the KJV is heretical, and the DR follows the tradition of the Church.

Technically so, because it's not "approved" but in the days of the NAB and the Good News Bible - Catholic Edition, RSV-CE, and now the ESV-CE.....can we really denounce the KJV so vehemently with a straight face?

I can, for the simple reason that we are forbidden from reading it. I'm not suggesting using the modernist translations and paraphrases (the Good News Bible-Catholic Edition), but, unfortunately, they are 'approved'.
(03-07-2021, 06:50 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-07-2021, 01:32 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]Technically so, because it's not "approved" but in the days of the NAB and the Good News Bible - Catholic Edition, RSV-CE, and now the ESV-CE.....can we really denounce the KJV so vehemently with a straight face?

I can, for the simple reason that we are forbidden from reading it. I'm not suggesting using the modernist translations and paraphrases (the Good News Bible-Catholic Edition), but, unfortunately, they are 'approved'.

You do realize the logic doesn't make sense, right?
(03-07-2021, 07:46 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-07-2021, 06:50 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]I can, for the simple reason that we are forbidden from reading it. I'm not suggesting using the modernist translations and paraphrases (the Good News Bible-Catholic Edition), but, unfortunately, they are 'approved'.

You do realize the logic doesn't make sense, right?

It makes sense if you reframe it as a matter of obedience.

If all of the approved translations featured genderless pronouns, naturalistic explanations for miracles, and all of that sort of nonsense, you would probably be free to read unapproved translations with a clear conscience.

But as long as there are translations that are both approved and orthodox (even if less syntactically pleasing), we ought to stick to those.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13