FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Sunday after Easter Sunday. Novus Ordo style.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To fulfill my Sunday obligation my mother and I attend a local Novus Ordo parish. It is where I was baptized and have spent at least 85% of my Sundays and holiday masses throughout my short life. This past Sunday a week the organist played Alleluia for the Gospel Acclamation. As the song went on the congregation was encouraged to clap along by the deacon and priest. Most did. I did not.

[Image: the-office-20.gif]

This went on for a couple of minutes. The organist played Alleluia for a second time. The rhythmic clapping started again. My mother nudged me and quietly asked, in a somewhat firm voice, why I wasn't clapping. I just closed my eyes and shook my head as the congregation clapped along. It didn't really help that we were sitting in the front and at an angle where everyone could see us. Afterwards the deacon said he saw a few of us not clapping. "It's okay to clap," he said. "Christ has risen from the dead!" After the homily I saw the deacon starring - at me - in a "What's the problem?" look. It's the Novus Horror Show, deacon. That's my problem.

[Image: spelling-bee-winner-excitement.gif]
To possibly help soothe your wounds, here is how Easter Sunday Mass played out at my current parish (taken from a different thread):

I thought I was safe on Easter morning because the organ started playing during the opening hymn...and then I realized later that someone was playing the drums. I also realized the organist stopped playing the organ in lieu of guitars and drums. Then the "Kids, please come up and take an instrument" thing (is this just a Saskatchewan thing? PM, I know you've mentioned it too) started for the closing hymn and I made a Sign of the Cross right there. Trying to find a bright side in the moment, I was at least grateful that they had hand bells and not rattles this time, from what I could see. And then a bunch of people started clapping to Lord of the Dance.
(04-25-2017, 03:38 AM)GRA Wrote: [ -> ]To fulfill my Sunday obligation my mother and I attend a local Novus Ordo parish. It is where I was baptized and have spent at least 85% of my Sundays and holiday masses throughout my short life. This past Sunday a week the organist played Alleluia for the Gospel Acclamation. As the song went on the congregation was encouraged to clap along by the deacon and priest. Most did. I did not.

[Image: the-office-20.gif]

This went on for a couple of minutes. The organist played Alleluia for a second time. The rhythmic clapping started again. My mother nudged me and quietly asked, in a somewhat firm voice, why I wasn't clapping. I just closed my eyes and shook my head as the congregation clapped along. It didn't really help that we were sitting in the front and at an angle where everyone could see us. Afterwards the deacon said he saw a few of us not clapping. "It's okay to clap," he said. "Christ has risen from the dead!" After the homily I saw the deacon starring - at me - in a "What's the problem?" look. It's the Novus Horror Show, deacon. That's my problem.

[Image: spelling-bee-winner-excitement.gif]

I like the cut of your jib.
The Novus can be so cringe, so corny it defies belief.

No man feels completely comfortable there. Or at least he shouldn't. 

The reformers really could not have done a better job setting up a box of chocolates "Liturgy" that would turn off anyone who is seriously pious, who seriously wants to
worship our Lord in the re-presentation of his Sacrifice.  What non-Catholic is going to be persuaded "this is the how the true Church worships"............

An enemy has done this. 
(04-25-2017, 07:50 AM)BC Wrote: [ -> ]The Novus can be so cringe, so corny it defies belief.

No man feels completely comfortable there. Or at least he shouldn't. 

The reformers really could not have done a better job setting up a box of chocolates "Liturgy" that would turn off anyone who is seriously pious, who seriously wants to
worship our Lord in the re-presentation of his Sacrifice.  What non-Catholic is going to be persuaded "this is the how the true Church worships"............

An enemy has done this.

Indeed. sad
It's what happens when you have women and effeminate priests running the show. I'm glad that whenever I've gone to NO in NY or here in MD they've at least been normal run of the mill NOs. Of course there are the issues of girl alter boys, communion on the hand, bad music (although at least they use the stuff out of the missalette), the army of EMoHC, the use of any Eucharistic prayer except the Canon (at most that's only used on special holy days... I've only seen one priest ever who used it for every single Mass, he soon after went to Rome to continue his studies or something), etc. However, as awful as those things are, they've become the "norms" of the NO. The other kooky stuff I hear about, I'm thankful that I've never really come across too often.