FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Has this happened to any of you?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been in the process of getting my devotional life sorted out. The Rosary and Brown Scapular (soon to be replaced by a blessed Scapular Medal) were easy fits. I tried the Holy Name devotion for a bit before moving to the Holy Face. Now I'm leaning toward the Sacred Heart due to the meaning, symbolism, the way it's connected to the Eucharist, etc, plus I really like the Litany to the Sacred Heart. Is this God's way of saying, "Here's what I want you to be devoted to"?
It could be.
I'm definitely going to be praying about this.
It's all good! Wink
I think most people who try to get serious about their devotional life go through something like this.  There's so much good stuff out there that it can take some time trying different things before you find what's best for you (with God's help, of course).
I have a few Devotionals too, that I try to recite every day:

The Morning Offering (Sacred Heart)

Precious (Spilt) Blood of Christ (As in during His Passion, Flogging and while on The Cross)

The Rosary of the Seven Sorrows
Where I'm trying to tread carefully is not "overloading" my prayer and devotional life.

I follow the TLM online, thanks to the FSSP. I pray the Rosary and wear the Scapular. I'm going to be getting into a routine of Lectio Divina with the Gospels because I love how it's both simple and profound.

Right now, I'm praying about it and reading some Sacred Heart-oriented encyclicals. I do love the concept of it and I see the direct connection between it and Eucharistic miracles, which, although we do receive all of Our Lord, display His Heart in a very special way.
My prayer life/devotionals are all over the place and have been for the past few years. I can never narrow anything down or find out what I "like" (or "what's me"). I make rosaries but I'm terrible myself at reciting the rosary. I either fall asleep while praying it (I'm not joking) or can't concentrate at all while praying it. I can never stick to praying the rosary every single day like other Catholics can.

Scapulars, chaplets, rosary, Jesus prayer, divine office, Little Office, prayer books, the Psalter...I've tried it all, even simple "spontaneous" prayer. It's like I'm not capable of praying. I seem to have the false notion that only "holy" people or "true" Catholics are capable of praying better than I am. Should probably just give up this whole "Catholic thing" and move into some other hobby.
(05-04-2017, 07:03 PM)Sequentia Wrote: [ -> ]Should probably just give up this whole "Catholic thing" and move into some other hobby.
This is the spiritual equivalent of saying, "I should probably give up driving to my destination in this car that offers so much protection and get out in the middle of the road."

The "Catholic thing" is not a hobby.

Just keep at it! It'll fall into place eventually! Smile Don't beat yourself up for not being perfect at prayer because none of us are.
(05-04-2017, 07:03 PM)Sequentia Wrote: [ -> ]My prayer life/devotionals are all over the place and have been for the past few years. I can never narrow anything down or find out what I "like" (or "what's me"). I make rosaries but I'm terrible myself at reciting the rosary. I either fall asleep while praying it (I'm not joking) or can't concentrate at all while praying it. I can never stick to praying the rosary every single day like other Catholics can.

Scapulars, chaplets, rosary, Jesus prayer, divine office, Little Office, prayer books, the Psalter...I've tried it all, even simple "spontaneous" prayer. It's like I'm not capable of praying. I seem to have the false notion that only "holy" people or "true" Catholics are capable of praying better than I am. Should probably just give up this whole "Catholic thing" and move into some other hobby.

God never asked us to be good at prayer, he just asked us to pray. Its the trying that counts.

I'm fairly certain that however bad you are at praying, I'm probably 3 times as bad. I have zero focus, I'm constantly forgetting to go to Mass, I can't keep a single devotion for an entire week without tripping up. Somehow I even manage to wear medals wrong, I'm not even sure how that's possible!  LOL

Pages: 1 2