FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Dangers of Focusing Only on the Negative in the Church
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
CaptCrunch73 Wrote:This from over at 1P5. Sharing because I need to remind myself a lot and a lot of the trad leaning sites I visit focus on the negative; others may also find this helpful. Also a video from Fr Ripperger, which are always great listens.

https://onepeterfive.com/dangers-focusin...ve-church/

The video below, taken from a talk by Fr. Chad Ripperger — a traditional priest, psychologist, and exorcist of some renown — has been making the rounds since last year. I’ve always intended to listen to it, but at an hour in length, I never seemed to make it all the way through.

This past weekend I had to make a long drive alone, so I finally fired it up and patched it into the car stereo.

I’m glad I did.

I think this talk touches on some important points. I think it’s something we all need to hear. I keep mentioning that I want to highlight more of the positive aspects about the Catholic Faith, not just report on the seemingly endless wave of assaults on it from within. There is a reason for that. I know it’s toxic. I can feel it. (Still, focusing on the positive is easier said than done these days.) It doesn’t mean the bad news doesn’t matter, or that we shouldn’t be informed, or even that we here at 1P5 shouldn’t cover those things.

But we must seek a balance. If we focus only and always on what’s wrong, we habituate ourselves to seeing the bad in everything, and it becomes an impediment to our spiritual growth. As Fr. Ripperger says, we shouldn’t stick our heads in the sand, but we should only pay as much attention to these things as the duties of our state in life demand.

I think there’s a lot of food for thought here. If you can make the time to listen to the whole thing — and I do recommend that you hear all of it, to get the different pieces he covers throughout — it’s worth your time.

Please remember that Father Ripperger’s talks are licensed as “Penanceware”. What does that mean? I’ll let him explain:

These media files are PenanceWare, which require that you do one of the following: (1) $1.00 via Paypal, (2) offer up a decade of the Rosary, or (3) perform some form of penance for the intentions of Fr. Ripperger (for each individual media file downloaded). The same rule applies if you copy and distribute to friends. External links, e.g. the videos from Keep the Faith, etc. are not Penanceware.

If you’d like to hear more of his excellent talks and conferences, they’re available at his website here. I’ve included the video below for convenience, but it’s an unofficial copy, and you should treat it as though the same licensing applies. So grab a seat, have a listen, and fire up those rosaries and/or donations. It’s for a good cause.

One of the dangers is that we fail to see our own sins. We complain about other people. They are the bad ones. It could be in the eyes of God that these people's faults are less in the eyes of God and their virtues which we don't see are grater than we could ever imagine.
I do think in trad land there tends to be a lot of negativity. Much of it is warranted, especially when looking at the post VII changes and the inept hierarchy that continues to support it even in spite of the fact none of those changes have done anything positive for the Church. However, there's also this negativity towards Novus Ordo lay people (many of whom don't know any better/different)  and people who aren't traditional enough or who aren't traditional in the way that such and such is traditional. On the other hand, I do think that it's not all negativity. We celebrate the feasts, of different prayers and devotions, of the victories for traditionalists, our traditional culture, pray for each other, and thank God for all of the great things that He's given us. It's certainly not all doom and gloom. However, let's be honest, from a traditional Catholic media perspective what's going to get views? Talking about good things or the bad things? I think we all know the answer. So of course there's this focus on the bad all the time. We can even take the example of Church Militant who has gained so much popularity with a show like the Vortex which is almost always negative. We're this small niche group that's fighting to restore the Church and it's not like traditional Catholicism is taking the world by storm. It's a very slow movement that, God willing, if we can accomplish it will take generations.
(05-11-2017, 10:05 AM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]We can even take the example of Church Militant who has gained so much popularity with a show like the Vortex which is almost always negative.
I enjoy their Download program and check their Headlines videos for the news, but what irks me is how they criticize every other outlet that is trying hard to make a positive difference in the Church and the world. They criticize EWTN, The Remnant, etc. The Remnant still gives EWTN the moniker 'Neo-Catholic,' even though Raymond Arroyo and the Papal Posse have been doing a wonderful job on The World Over, not shying away from the current issues surrounding things like Amoris Laetitia.

EWTN's beautiful televised Mass with Latin and sacred hymns, bells, etc? Oh, too bad. It's the Ordinary Form. Those poor, misguided people. They must not know any better (never mind that not everyone has access to the EF, and many, like myself, would attend if they could get to a diocesan/ICK/FSSP EF). Poor things (why do so few see how condescending this is?).

I'm so annoyed by this. I'm at the point where I need to be selective with my news outlets, even Catholic ones, because the negativity is so ridiculous. There are certain groups I pick and choose from or have begun gently phasing out, so to speak. Generally, I stick with EWTN and 1P5, and the occasional Church Militant video.
There is a lot of negativity in the blogosphere and while caught up in it my personal tendencies were pretty negative, I had to take a break. Used to be a premium subscriber to CM but they bashed the SSPX in a very strange way,  so I quit CM, still read the Vortex transcripts occasionally but, IMO, they discredited themselves by pushing an agenda rather that reporting the issues. Same with Mundabor, AkaCatholic and others.

While I tend to agree with all of the above blogs and videos the constant negativity is bad for me spiritually. So I stick with One Peter Five, Fr Ripperger, Father Z, FE and reading the Saints.