FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fr. Don Calloway, MIC: The Rosary: Spiritual Sword of Our Lady
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm currently watching this and I can tell it's going to be a phenomenal talk.

What Fr. Calloway refers to with regard to Bishop Doeme in the beginning can be read about here:

https://www.churchmilitant.com/news/arti...rror-group
I got the book at the recommendation of a friend.  From what I have read so far, it is a really good.  He starts off giving a very in depth and detailed history of the origins of the rosary, and then proceeds to show the rosary through history, from the Albigensian heresy up to San JP II (he is pro luminous mysteries, which is all fine and dandy when you keep it private, which is what JP was shooting at, but he kind of puts it forward as part of the divine plan of the Rosary, which I would be so willing to hop on board with.) 

He does a really good job, and I really enjoy how he displays that the Rosary did come from Our Lady and was given directly to San Dominic in the form we know, combining a none devotion amongst monastics and combining to that meditation and mysteries.  He does a great job of showing this is the tradition of the popes and a great many saints as well. 

He also delves into several people who have promoted the Rosary, including quotations which present their thoughts about the Rosary.  He also gets into very many apparitions and revelations of Our Lady, from Lourdes to Fatima, to lesser known ones as well, such as Our Lady of Kibeho. 

All in all it is a pretty decent book, I would recommend it.  Probably the second best book I have read about the Rosary ( I have read two now, and the Secret of the Rosary still takes the cake.)
(05-16-2017, 09:25 AM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: [ -> ]I got the book at the recommendation of a friend.  From what I have read so far, it is a really good.  He starts off giving a very in depth and detailed history of the origins of the rosary, and then proceeds to show the rosary through history, from the Albigensian heresy up to San JP II (he is pro luminous mysteries, which is all fine and dandy when you keep it private, which is what JP was shooting at, but he kind of puts it forward as part of the divine plan of the Rosary, which I would be so willing to hop on board with.) 
He mentions in the video that many of the Luminous Mysteries were mentioned specifically by St. Louis de Montfort and a currently canonized saint came up with the full list of five. I'm not sure if that's in the book because I haven't read it.

And I agree with you, The Secret of the Rosary is awesome. I really need to reread it.

To those reading over our shoulders, the book is dirt cheap on Amazon. You should get a copy.
Saint Louis may have, if so I haven't read it.  I am not putting down anyone who does it, I just think as an addition it is better left to the world of optional (which is very much different from what you feel like it is, almost everything at this point that isn't explicitly traditional puts them forward as binding).

Having said that, I have no problems with having a devotion likethe Rosary for the luminous mysteries, there are tones and tones of other devotions out there that take their inspiration from the format of the Rosary, like the Franciscan Crown and the Rosary of Our Lady of Sorrows, and both of them are great devotions to the Blessed Mother which I would certainly encourage.

I think there is a great tradition of the Rosary as Our Lady's Psalter, and the Mysteries were given, 15 in all, by Our Lady to Saint Dominic.
In related news:

Oh, I've listened to a few of his videos! I love his talks on the rosary. Inspired me to start saying mine daily several weeks ago. <3 the Rosary!
Me too, HeatherNoel! :) I love the Rosary and I love Fr. Calloway!

If you guys don't watch the whole thing, please watch the first ten minutes. When he starts talking about the Filipino ladies, it gets hilarious.