FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Gotta Feeling I Am About to Open up a Can of Worms (Opus Dei)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What is the big deal with Opus Dei?  Personally I have never encountered this organization?  But I have encountered many traditionalists who have quite a bit to say about this group and its founder (cult is a buzz word). 

Can anyone tell me what this group is and what it is about?  Is it a cult?  Are there objectionable things within Opus Dei itself, aside from standard novus ordoisms.

Thanks
Have a read of this

Opus Dei: a strange pastoral phenomenon

http://archives.sspx.org/miscellaneous/opus_dei.htm

The first Church organization to have non-Catholic cooperators.

"our Work is the first organization to have authorization from the Holy See to admit non-Catholics, Christians or not. I have always taken the defense of liberty of conscience. "(Conversaciones, p.296).

It's religiously indifferent.
Okay, so then the main error is religious indifferentism.  I guess that that just goes part and parcel with being modern. 
(05-16-2017, 11:33 AM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, so then the main error is religious indifferentism.  I guess that that just goes part and parcel with being modern.

Well I say that, but really there is a lot more to it than that.  They are very controlling, and in my opinion divert true vocations from the priesthood and religious life .
(05-16-2017, 11:21 AM)BC Wrote: [ -> ]Have a read of this

Opus Dei: a strange pastoral phenomenon

http://archives.sspx.org/miscellaneous/opus_dei.htm

The first Church organization to have non-Catholic cooperators.

"our Work is the first organization to have authorization from the Holy See to admit non-Catholics, Christians or not. I have always taken the defense of liberty of conscience. "(Conversaciones, p.296).

It's religiously indifferent.

It seems it, at least to a degree.  From their website:
"Non-Catholic Christians and people of other religions cannot belong to the Prelature, but they can be its Cooperators, if they wish.  Cooperators pray for Opus Dei or help it by means of their work and donations toward the educational and social projects undertaken by the Prelature throughout the world.  At present, there are Cooperators of Opus Dei who are Orthodox, Anglican, Lutheran, Jewish, Moslem, and Buddhist as well as people who have no religion."

http://opusdei.us/en-us/faq/

But on the flip side, could it be an acknowledgement that there are people who aren't Catholic, but by working with them, perhaps some souls can be brought to the Church?  Just a thought.
(05-16-2017, 10:48 AM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: [ -> ]What is the big deal with Opus Dei?  Personally I have never encountered this organization?  But I have encountered many traditionalists who have quite a bit to say about this group and its founder (cult is a buzz word). 

Can anyone tell me what this group is and what it is about?  Is it a cult?  Are there objectionable things within Opus Dei itself, aside from standard novus ordoisms.

Thanks

Perhaps OD seems cultish to outsiders because its members are laymen but it maintains the discipline of a stringent religious order. They're also very secretive.
(05-16-2017, 11:58 AM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]But on the flip side, could it be an acknowledgement that there are people who aren't Catholic, but by working with them, perhaps some souls can be brought to the Church?  Just a thought.

Sure. I think though really that any non Catholics who are contributing to an organization that is going to be offensive to them by professing the Catholic Faith in toto, are not going to be likely to further the agenda of that organization. 

If anyone can find Opus Dei telling those non-Catholics they need to enter the Catholic Church I would like to see it. 
(05-16-2017, 12:18 PM)BC Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-16-2017, 11:58 AM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]But on the flip side, could it be an acknowledgement that there are people who aren't Catholic, but by working with them, perhaps some souls can be brought to the Church?  Just a thought.

Sure. I think though really that any non Catholics who are contributing to an organization that is going to be offensive to them by professing the Catholic Faith in toto, are not going to be likely to further the agenda of that organization. 

How wouldn't they be, if the agenda is to bring people into contact with the Church, with hopefully converting some?

Quote:If anyone can find Opus Dei telling those non-Catholics they need to enter the Catholic Church I would like to see it. 

Good point.
I know some people in the local chapter (or whatever the sub-units are called), and to me, Opus Dei just seems like one of those organizations (Communion and Liberation also comes to mind) that kind of make it seem like you have to join their group/go to their meetings to do what you should be doing simply as a Christian to begin with--in other words, it seems superfluous.

I will say this, I don't know about the wider organization, but the ones near me are all about their "apostolic responsibility" (as they call it) of seeking conversions.  They are also totally into the writings of Opus Dei's founder, and he was pretty firm on the subject.  See here for example:
http://www.escrivaworks.org/book/in_love...int-24.htm

Take that for whatever its worth.

Cooperating with non-Catholics to accomplish some common good end isn't evidence of anything one way or the other and has not been considered a problem for Catholics, even well before Vatican II.

Opus Dei just seems very strange to me. Almost like some sort of pseudo-trad Novus Ordo hybrid with some very bizarre goings on.

Maybe Dan Brown wasn't completely wrong about everything.  :LOL:
Pages: 1 2