FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Crucifix vs. Cross in the Home
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I had a non-catholic catholic ask me that she heard that a cross without a crucifix is a protestant thing. I have both in my house. Is this true? I have never heard that but was raised in novus ordo so I just want to make sure. Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

The plain cross, as well as the crucifix, are both traditional Catholic icons. It is true that Protestants tend to use the plain cross as a symbol of the Resurrection and avoid using the crucifix for any various number of reasons, but simply having a plain cross is not a "Protestant thing."

Some Protestants say that the use of crucifixes is a form of idol worship, some say Jesus is risen; therefore don't keep Him still on the cross or focus on the "gloomy" aspect and yadda yadda yadda. I think that the reason why Protestants didn't, and don't use crucifixes is because it's simply "too Catholic," and I say this as a former Evangelical!
I have heard all sorts of weird things.  I think the general idea is that protestants would never have a crucifix in their churches.  To this day, I have yet to see one, excepting certain High Anglican churches.  I don't think there is anything wrong with a cross.  The cross is no more a protestant thing than the Bible is. 
A plain cross is perfectly acceptable, and should be kissed and venerated as a representation of the life-giving wood on which Christ died. The only place that it is not OK is at the altar in a Roman-rite Church, which requires a Crucifix (and not the weird Resurrexifix you sometimes see in NO Churches). That Protestants use plain crosses because they have weird hangups about crucifixes is no reason for us not to keep and reverence them.
(05-19-2017, 11:03 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: [ -> ]I have heard all sorts of weird things.  I think the general idea is that protestants would never have a crucifix in their churches.  To this day, I have yet to see one, excepting certain High Anglican churches.  I don't think there is anything wrong with a cross.  The cross is no more a protestant thing than the Bible is.

I was an Anglican for many years and I have never seen an Anglican Church without a Crucifix on the altar. I'm sure they exists, but I've never been in one. And I would point out that many traditional Lutheran Churches, especially of Scandinavian background, regularly have (or had, it's been years since I've been in one) Crucifixes on the altar.
(05-19-2017, 10:07 PM)Rick4367 Wrote: [ -> ]I had a non-catholic catholic ask me that she heard that a cross without a crucifix is a protestant thing. I have both in my house. Is this true? I have never heard that but was raised in novus ordo so I just want to make sure. Thanks!

Culturally, I associate Catholicism with a crucifix which depicts Jesus' human form in a high level of detail including bloody wounds and musculature, and I associate Protestantism with a plain "Latin" cross. FWIW, I recommend you should get a blessed St Benedict Medal Crucifix to protect your home from demons.
The way I was taught was that the 'Cross' is a representation of a device for torture and a Crucifix is the sign of Christ's Victory.
(05-20-2017, 07:19 AM)Zedta Wrote: [ -> ]The way I was taught was that the 'Cross' is a representation of a device for torture and a Crucifix is the sign of Christ's Victory.

I was taught similar, except that that a cross is a symbol of Christ's passion, whereas the crucifix is a symbol of both passion and triumph. Regardless, both are to be venerated and treated with due reverence.
(05-20-2017, 01:48 AM)Pacman Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-19-2017, 10:07 PM)Rick4367 Wrote: [ -> ]I had a non-catholic catholic ask me that she heard that a cross without a crucifix is a protestant thing. I have both in my house. Is this true? I have never heard that but was raised in novus ordo so I just want to make sure. Thanks!

Culturally, I associate Catholicism with a crucifix which depicts Jesus' human form in a high level of detail including bloody wounds and musculature, and I associate Protestantism with a plain "Latin" cross. FWIW, I recommend you should get a blessed St Benedict Medal Crucifix to protect your home from demons.
I do have 2 St. Benedict Crucifixes in my house. One above our bed that we bought at the Vatican in 2011. One above the front door of our house. Neither are blessed, but I did have the whole house blessed when we first bought it. Is that enough? Or is that the same as consecrating the whole world but not specifically Russia?

(05-20-2017, 05:08 PM)Rick4367 Wrote: [ -> ]I do have 2 St. Benedict Crucifixes in my house. One above our bed that we bought at the Vatican in 2011. One above the front door of our house. Neither are blessed, but I did have the whole house blessed when we first bought it. Is that enough? Or is that the same as consecrating the whole world but not specifically Russia?

That depends. Will the blessing of your house bring about peace in the world and the conversion of Russia?  Grin
Pages: 1 2