FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Total Consecration to Mary
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I listened to Fr Isaac Mary Relyea's Lenten Mission on the Four Last Things. One of the things he mentioned was consecrating yourself (and your children) to the Blessed Virgin Mary. I am thinking about doing this myself, following the way of St Louis de Montfort. I have a couple of questions though.

Firstly, Father Relyea said that when you consecrate yourself to Our Lady, you're basically giving her all your merits. Does this mean that we can't pray for others, or pray to other saints, or do novenas to other saints for our own intentions?

Secondly, has anyone here done this? If so, I'd like to hear about your experience and the difference it has made in your life. Do you recommend doing it? Has it brought you closer to the Blessed Mother? What about to Jesus?
(05-21-2017, 06:11 AM)MichaelNZ Wrote: [ -> ]Firstly, Father Relyea said that when you consecrate yourself to Our Lady, you're basically giving her all your merits. Does this mean that we can't pray for others, or pray to other saints, or do novenas to other saints for our own intentions?

Absolutely not.  I pray more fervently to other saints (as well) since my own Consecration to Mary about two years ago.

Quote:  I'd like to hear about your experience and the difference it has made in your life.

The first year, especially, it brought me unbelievable graces.  Those were just poured out, it seemed.  It's not as if graces have stopped now, but I think I've just entered a more solemn phase as I begin to realize how much of my own sanctification (through her) I need to work on with diligence.  Any inconsistency or interruption has to do with my own failures in diligence, consistency, and constancy.  One of the important fruits of the Consecration for me, in that first year, was the grace to understand that I needed to make a General Confession, and the grace to do that courageously and trustingly.

Quote: Do you recommend doing it?
Definitely.  But I also did it with the help of my spiritual director, with whom I was just beginning at the time.  Because I trusted him, that made a difference in my decision not to analyze it too much, but just do it.

Quote: Has it brought you closer to the Blessed Mother?
Yes.  I realize how many more needs I have to bring to her and how much I should depend on her.

Quote:What about to Jesus?
Yes, but especially when I make my Marian prayers consciously Christocentric.  But even if we fail to do so consciously, she always leads us to her Son.  We never have to be concerned about that. 
Of course you can still pray for others and pray to other saints and make certain intentions, just do so with the intent that they all go through Mary. She isn't some prayer hoarder who takes your prayers and locks them up, rather she makes sure your prayers aren't wasted and are used as efficiently as possible. She adds her own prayers to them and makes sure they go where they are needed most.