FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: How to carry a Rosary
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This may be a stupid question, but seriously: is there some prescribed way to carry a Rosary? 

As a sacred object, it's to be treated with respect, yet I see them carried in all sorts of manners; in pockets, shirt pockets, purses, around in backpacks, glove boxes, etc.  Mine stays in a pocket of my daily carry bag or my lunch box (If I'm at work my EDC bag stays in the truck, and the Rosary comes in the office with me).

Not trying to be over-scrupulous or take a traddier-than-thou attitude, I'm just genuinely curious.
I would carry mine in one of my front pockets. I wouldn't wear it around my neck because it's not supposed to be a piece of jewelery.
I carry my prayer rope in my front or back pocket, either a shirt pocket or pants depending on what I'm wearing.  The sand wouldgo for a rosary.  If I'm caring a backpack I'll put it in a small pocket along with an icon I always carry.

I agree that wearing it around the neck is not appropriate either; it's too be prayed,not worn as jewelery. The only time I'd say it's on is if for some reason you had to wear a shirt and pants with no pockets, but that seems far fetched today.

I have a pocket rosary (single decade) which I keep in my ... pocket.  Smile I put it in my valet box which is located on my dresser once I undress to go to bed.

There's another rosary, a full one, which is still in its packaging since I've yet to get it blessed. That also sits in the same valet box. When I do eventually get to use it it will be the rosary that I use to pray when at home.
I have a favorite light weight Rosary that fits in a tiny leather change purse that has a clasp at the top.  I keep that in my purse inside another small zippered bag that contains a prayer book and my examination of conscience leaflet and some other paper items pertaining to Mass.  It is with me whenever I go out and take my purse.  I really like the little leather change purse because it keeps the Rosary protected and is easy to find inside the bag.  I have others that I use when I am at home.
I usually carry mine in my pocket, but I don't like this too much because the chain gets tangled up and I spend five minutes trying to undo the mess of knots that have tied themselves.  Some times I wear it around my neck.  I am aware that some people don't like this, but I really see no definitely bad reason to not wear it around your neck (supposing you have the right intentions, not just treating it as jewelry and not just doing it to be flashy.)
I used to carry one in my left front pocket, but it kept getting broken by all the other stuff I carry. I became adept at rosary repairs out of necessity, though it got a bit old. These days, I carry two in separate leatherette pouches, one self-closing, the other zippered. I usually replace the pouches every year or so, because they keep getting beaten up by the other stuff. But at least they protect my rosaries.  Smile
@ Justin & dahveed: There's a site called ruggedrosary.com. They sell rosaries that are quite durable; it's also the site where I purchased my pocket rosary. If you're not dead set on a full rosary for carry I suggest the single. Each rosary can be customized as well.
(05-22-2017, 06:24 PM)GRA Wrote: [ -> ]@ Justin & dahveed: There's a site called ruggedrosary.com. They sell rosaries that are quite durable; it's also the site where I purchased my pocket rosary. If you're not dead set on a full rosary for carry I suggest the single. Each rosary can be customized as well.

+1 for Rugged Rosaries.  I have one that goes everywhere with me. Very well made.
(05-22-2017, 06:24 PM)GRA Wrote: [ -> ]@ Justin & dahveed: There's a site called ruggedrosary.com. They sell rosaries that are quite durable; it's also the site where I purchased my pocket rosary. If you're not dead set on a full rosary for carry I suggest the single. Each rosary can be customized as well.

I am sure it would solve a tonne of problems, but the rosary I have has a lot of sentimental value to me. It was my great grandmother's and my grandfather gave it to me before he passed away.  This might be useful for friends and family though  Tip o' the hat Tip o' the hat

Oh no! How sad! They don't have a "Pope Francis, pray for us medal" !!!
Pages: 1 2