FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Help planning a wedding?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is embarrassing to ask, but I need help to plan my wedding.  We have a date, June 2nd of 2018.  The only problem for me is that I have never been to a real wedding! And I am not saying that to be melodramatic, I have no memory of ever having been to a wedding (if you exclude signing papers and eating of course, but that is no fun)

Essentially I need advice from the ground up, we have already agreed on the colour and where, and we have agreed on a traditional wedding.  Outside of that I am lost. 

Thank you in advance for the help!
First off, congratulations. May you be blessed with a long and happy marriage.

Second, don't stress out. The nuptial Mass itself is the easiest part, and with it being traditional, Father won't let it get messed up.  Figure out who want to be in the bridal party and for groomsmen.

The reception is what most seem to get stressed about, which I find ironic, since the ceremony itself is the important part. Start by discussing how many people you want. My wife and I had a small wedding and reception, 30 people iirc, to keep the focus on us. Most places off wedding packages, so call around and find a package and rate that fits what you're looking for. This is also where you may want to let the missus take the lead a bit more, as women tend to be more "decorative" than us men. Seriously, my wife did most of the fine detail planning for that reason. A tip: have a cash bar, not open. Cheaper, no one gets trashed, and that helps keep the focus on you two.

Finally, color doesn't have a "u" in it. Sticking tongue out at you
Thanks Jeeter. 

That all sounds great, especially the cash bar.  Both of us have family members who are a little too happy to turn back a few, and I sure don't need those problems.  I think I can parcel out the big things, most of this would just be dealing with the reception, where, what and how, and she can figure out all the details.  We probably will just keep it small, no more than 70 or 80 people.

And on a side note:

Colour, labour, centre, humour, flavour, fibre, litre, theatre, neighbour, apologise, organise, recognise  Grin
Glad to help. Honestly, a lot of the reception planning is vague now, as that was over 17 years ago. Humorous story, 2 of the 50 most requested bridal ballads where we had our reception were "Die, Die My Darling;" both the original and the remake. No, we didn't choose that song, although suggesting it  to the missus is a sure fire way to get excused from the planning. LOL

(05-29-2017, 09:27 AM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: [ -> ]And on a side note:

Colour, labour, centre, humour, flavour, fibre, litre, theatre, neighbour, apologise, organise, recognise  Grin

Lol. LOL
We planned a fairly large froufrou wedding in 4 months thanks to our absolutely amazing wedding planner. She did all the organizing and all we had to do was make simply decisions like colour, flowers, table settings, menu, etc, etc. Granted, we had to give her the theme/atmosphere/ambiance we wanted. If you know anyone with a knack for wedding planning, get their insight.
  Smile

(05-29-2017, 03:40 AM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]A tip: have a cash bar, not open. Cheaper, no one gets trashed, and that helps keep the focus on you two.
We had a 2 day wedding with a open bar for mainly Russians, Ukrainians, Belarusians and Serbs. Imagine that.
  LOL Trashed people throw more money at you when you dance.

(05-29-2017, 09:54 AM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]Humorous story, 2 of the 50 most requested bridal ballads where we had our reception were "Die, Die My Darling;" both the original and the remake. No, we didn't choose that song, although suggesting it  to the missus is a sure fire way to get excused from the planning. LOL
We tried to balance music for everyone. We hired a pretty good shanson artist from the “old country” but then had to play some Morrissey/The Smiths for the Chicanos in attendance. What a ride…  Shocked LOL
(05-29-2017, 10:38 AM)Zubr Wrote: [ -> ]We tried to balance music for everyone. We hired a pretty good shanson artist from the “old country” but then had to play some Morrissey/The Smiths for the Chicanos in attendance. What a ride…  Shocked LOL

My musical tastes run the gamut. I got a couple songs in, but my wife drew the line with Grateful Dead and Hank 3 (this was back before he needed warning labels on his albums).
(05-29-2017, 10:59 AM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-29-2017, 10:38 AM)Zubr Wrote: [ -> ]We tried to balance music for everyone. We hired a pretty good shanson artist from the “old country” but then had to play some Morrissey/The Smiths for the Chicanos in attendance. What a ride…  Shocked LOL

My musical tastes run the gamut. I got a couple songs in, but my wife drew the line with Grateful Dead and Hank 3 (this was back before he needed warning labels on his albums).
Aww, even Box of Rain? You can make that work in a wedding reception!  Grin
(05-29-2017, 10:59 AM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]My musical tastes run the gamut. I got a couple songs in, but my wife drew the line with Grateful Dead and Hank 3 (this was back before he needed warning labels on his albums).
LOL Hey, those could have worked, but your wife learned compromise early. It's tough not only when one has eclectic tastes but also trying to make so many ethnicities happy. Trying to explain "the bride is back from her kidnapping" song to Western people was difficult. One important thing I learned though is that November Rain is the universal language. I think my most favorite moment of the night was dancing to "Girlfriend in a Coma" because it was a perfect fit.  LOL

Like your wife, I did have to put my foot down though. Seriously hard. My husband thought it would be marvelous if he was introduced with Rock You Like a Hurricane on the first day. So, he went on and on how everyone pays attention to the bride but not the groom. So, I said, fine, you can have it on Day 2 when you're introduced. Well, it backfired on me. Everyone thought it was the most awesome thing and kept saying, "Like a boss!"  Doh!
(05-29-2017, 11:50 AM)Zubr Wrote: [ -> ]Like your wife, I did have to put my foot down though. Seriously hard. My husband thought it would be marvelous if he was introduced with Rock You Like a Hurricane on the first day. So, he went on and on how everyone pays attention to the bride but not the groom. So, I said, fine, you can have it on Day 2 when you're introduced. Well, it backfired on me. Everyone thought it was the most awesome thing and kept saying, "Like a boss!"  Doh!

Please say Goldilocks was wearing an Adidas tracksuit during this... LOL
(05-29-2017, 09:27 AM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: [ -> ]Colour, labour, centre, humour, flavour, fibre, litre, theatre, neighbour, apologise, organise, recognise  Grin

Wow! Someone who knows how to spell! LOL
Pages: 1 2