FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Question on Our rights/duties as Catholics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Canon 212.3 gives the faithfull the right and even at times the duty to make known their opinion to the pastors of the church as well the rest of the faithfull.

But how far does this go?

I have made my concerns regarding the church and the current pontificate known to quite a few priests most of who (not all) acknowledge they too have misgivings but i never hear anything from the pulpet on the state of the church right now.

I recently started putting information in the back of my parish on these things... well the priest very nearly blew his top and very nearly banished me from the parish forever more. Apparently i need permission to do this... but if permission is not given how can i carry out my duty to share information for the good of the church. The parishinors deserve and even have the right to know and be informed of the craziness going on in the church. If i am not permitted to share the information at church with other members of the faithfull of my parish which forum can i share my concerns and information that pertains to it. So does canon 212.3 give me the right or doesnt it?

I think you have a right to make your opinion known, but you really should discuss it with the priest before sticking pamphlets in the pews.  If the priest refuses your request, you have to respect his decision. 

I would say this, what fruit will come out letting known what is already known by most Catholics that the Church is in a crisis and this pontificate is perhaps the worst the Church has seen...You'd best be served trying to work with the priest to bring the parish more in line with Tradition, than just writing pamphlets nay-saying on the Pope.
Having the right to do something doesn't mean that you have the right to use whatever means you please to do it. For example, you have the right to drive, if you're licensed, but you must still conform with the rules of the road for everyone else's safety. 

You made an error in failing to get the pastor's permission to pamphlet his church. You should find some way, within the bounds of what exists, to share the beauty of the faith with your fellow parishioners. The best way is usually to simply be an exemplary Catholic. People might notice and then ask you questions. Maybe pray a good thanksgiving after Mass so that others would consider emulating your piety. Or get to Mass early to prepare and say a Rosary. Small things like that.
To be honest in the uk most people in the pews are very unaware... apathy is a big problem. So There is no forum within the church whereby i might share information so canon 212.3 is of no real use even though i have the right there is nowhere to use it. You get a licence to drive a car but there is nowhere to buy a car... rather pointless. I was quite shaken by the anger of the priest but very heartend by the parishinors who shook my hand defended and thanked me.
I am not saying it does not exist but i know of canon 212.3 that permits me to share my concerns with pastors and lay folk so where is the law that negaits this right in cases of sharing information at the back of church.
You have the right and sometimes the duty to make your opinions known to your pastor and the priests at your church but you also need to be prudent. Making your opinions and concerns known isn't the same thing as leaving various fliers with information.
Well thats absolutly true but it was not some arbitary information or flyer or a leaflet one was a whole essay published by a bishop

https://abyssum.org/2017/03/27/election-...ci-gregis/

The second was a article by a priest Fr Linus Clovis

https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/the...ved-and-it

Both of which i believe are of the utmost importance, one would not ask permission from the priest to shout fire if the building was burning down and if you did and the priest did not grant permission would you obay..would you let the building burn to the ground would you allow the people inside to perish. The current state of the church calls us to go beyond our normal practices the church exists in a state of emergancy to act in prudence at this moment would be to run into the burning building shouting FIRE FIRE FIRE until all hands were at work to put out the flames
(05-31-2017, 04:19 AM)Mea Kulpa Wrote: [ -> ]Well thats absolutly true but it was not some arbitary information or flyer or a leaflet one was a whole essay published by a bishop

https://abyssum.org/2017/03/27/election-...ci-gregis/

The second was a article by a priest Fr Linus Clovis

https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/the...ved-and-it

Both of which i believe are of the utmost importance, one would not ask permission from the priest to shout fire if the building was burning down and if you did and the priest did not grant permission would you obay..would you let the building burn to the ground would you allow the people inside to perish. The current state of the church calls us to go beyond our normal practices the church exists in a state of emergancy to act in prudence at this moment would be to run into the burning building shouting FIRE FIRE FIRE until all hands were at work to put out the flames

Shouting "Fire!" in a crowded building and leaving literature which is not authorized in the church are two different things.