FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Lectio divina question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do traditional Catholics pray lectio divina? If so are there any webpages one can provide me that discuss how to do lectio divina in a traditional Catholic understanding? Just googling "lectio divina" brought  up a bunch of websites about why Protestants shouldn't pray lectio divina, etc.
(06-01-2017, 01:43 PM)Sequentia Wrote: [ -> ]Just googling "lectio divina" brought  up a bunch of websites about why Protestants shouldn't pray lectio divina, etc.

That's hilarious! I thought prots were big on 'praying over Scripture' which is what Lectio divina essentially is. Must be the 'Papist Latin name' that scares them! LOL
(06-01-2017, 03:25 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-01-2017, 01:43 PM)Sequentia Wrote: [ -> ]Just googling "lectio divina" brought  up a bunch of websites about why Protestants shouldn't pray lectio divina, etc.

That's hilarious! I thought prots were big on 'praying over Scripture' which is what Lectio divina essentially is. Must be the 'Papist Latin name' that scares them! LOL
Many of them are also big on taking the Bible literally unless it's John 6 or talking about one of the other Sacraments.

Sequentia, I highly recommend you look up Cardinal Collins' Lectio Divina series on YouTube. Smile
One issue I'm coming across when I either pray the rosary or try lectio divina, I always end up falling asleep. Are there any specific postures I should adopt to prevent myself from falling asleep? I think I get so relaxed while praying it's easy for me to lose track of my contemplation and just go right to sleep.
http://www.lectio-divina.org/

That's my favorite lectio page.  The author is a monk at St Joseph's abbey and make no mistake, his stuff is rich and profound.
(06-01-2017, 06:03 PM)In His Love Wrote: [ -> ]Sequentia, I highly recommend you look up Cardinal Collins' Lectio Divina series on YouTube. Smile

Wow after 3 minutes I feel safe.  Sorry but whenever I see a Catholic bishop on YT I'm thinking "Oh boy what sort of heterodox garbage am I gonna have to sift through this time."  He's a very good speaker, and humble.

(06-02-2017, 01:50 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.lectio-divina.org/

That's my favorite lectio page.  The author is a monk at St Joseph's abbey and make no mistake, his stuff is rich and profound.

Any tips on how to navigate?  There's a lot of resources here I do not know where to begin.
(06-03-2017, 10:04 AM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-01-2017, 06:03 PM)In His Love Wrote: [ -> ]Sequentia, I highly recommend you look up Cardinal Collins' Lectio Divina series on YouTube. Smile

Wow after 3 minutes I feel safe.  Sorry but whenever I see a Catholic bishop on YT I'm thinking "Oh boy what sort of heterodox garbage am I gonna have to sift through this time."  He's a very good speaker, and humble.

Yes, he has very solid teachings and you can tell he cares about the Faith. I really enjoy his Lectio series.
(06-02-2017, 08:58 AM)Sequentia Wrote: [ -> ]One issue I'm coming across when I either pray the rosary or try lectio divina, I always end up falling asleep. Are there any specific postures I should adopt to prevent myself from falling asleep? I think I get so relaxed while praying it's easy for me to lose track of my contemplation and just go right to sleep.

St. Therese of Lisieux had the same problem.