FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Tips for preparing for my first Divine Liturgy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I made a thread just like this one quite a while ago, but for one reason or another, I didn't attend. The priest at our local Ukrainian Catholic church is retiring and the Bishop is coming to celebrate Divine Liturgy with him. What are some things I need to know?

I know how to make the Byzantine Sign of the Cross and I know I'm supposed to open my mouth and not stick out my tongue for Holy Communion.
(06-29-2017, 01:14 PM)In His Love Wrote: [ -> ]I made a thread just like this one quite a while ago, but for one reason or another, I didn't attend. The priest at our local Ukrainian Catholic church is retiring and the Bishop is coming to celebrate Divine Liturgy with him. What are some things I need to know?

I know how to make the Byzantine Sign of the Cross and I know I'm supposed to open my mouth and not stick out my tongue for Holy Communion.

You bow instead of kneel, although depending on the parish, the congregation may kneel or stand at various  points in the liturgy.  I've been at Saints Volodymyr and Olha in Chicago when half the people were kneeling and the other half standing, being a Latin, I kneeled :)
Just do what the rest of the congregation does and you should be fine.
There's not much to know. The sign of the cross has never seemed like a big deal to me: I almost always make it the Latin way even at Byzantine churches, and nobody cares or minds. Make it the other way if you can do it naturally enough I suppose.

The postures and gestures seem more open to differences than the Latin rite. I have rarely seen anyone get "corrected" for what they do.  Communion is perhaps an exception: tilt your head back and take the Eucharist in your mouth. Don't close your mouth on the spoon or touch it in any way with your lips or tongue. The priest might ask for your name: at the Ukrainian church I attend the priest says my name but can't remember my wife's name. 

Be friendly and acknowledge your ignorance if you need to. Try to follow everyone else's lead. Some things, like going up and kissing the gospel, seem to be reserved for children, but I've seen Latin adults assume that they are meant for everyone and participate anyway. Sometimes I tell my wife "I don't do anything there unless I see a Byzantine adult do it."
I've never been to a Catholic Byzantine Rite church, but I've been to quite a number of Orthodox services. Here are some tips.

Firstly, the service may not be in English (if it's a Ukrainian Catholic church it may very well be Slavonic). Try and find out what language it'll be in, and see if they have service books with the Slavonic on one side and the English on the other.

There will be incense - more than your typical Latin Rite Catholic church.

There are a number of litanies throughout the service. The priest will pray, and the choir will usually respond "Lord have mercy" (Slavonic: Gospodi pomilui). The other responses are "To Thee, O Lord" (Slavonic: Tebye, Gospodi) and "Grant this, O Lord" (Slavonic: Podai, Gospodi). Some people (I've seen Russians do this) will cross themselves and bow each time one of these is said. Signs of the Cross are also typically made any time the three Persons of the Holy Trinity are mentioned, and whenever the word Theotokos (Slavonic: Bogoroditsa) is said or sung.

There will be two processions: the Little Entrance and the Great Entrance. During each of these, the priest will exit the altar area through the deacon's door and enter through the Beautiful Gates (the entrance directly in front of the Holy Table).

When you go up to Communion, I think you are supposed to kiss the priest's hand after he has given you the Sacrament (never having entered the Orthodox church, I have never taken Byzantine Rite Communion). Also, after the service, you will go up to receive blessed bread called antidoron. The priest will typically present a crucifix to you. Kiss it and then the priest will give you some antidoron. Kiss his hand afterwards.

If, before or after the Liturgy, you are introduced to the priest, bow, touch the floor with your right hand, then place your right hand over your left hand with the palms upward, and say 'Bless, Father'. The priest will then give you a blessing and place his hand in your right hand, which you then kiss. If you meet the bishop, do the same except say 'Bless, Your Grace'.
Thank you all very much for your feedback! I'll be attending Divine Liturgy this Sunday. :)