FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: St. George novena
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know of any novenas to Saint George? Or does one exist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's this one:

https://www.ewtn.com/library/PRAYER/NOVGEOR.TXT

I have also put together a moleben for St. George, if you are interested in that.
(07-18-2017, 10:28 PM)aquinas138 Wrote: [ -> ]There's this one:

I have also put together a moleben for St. George, if you are interested in that.
I AM!
(07-19-2017, 11:53 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2017, 10:28 PM)aquinas138 Wrote: [ -> ]There's this one:

I AM!

Ok, I'll send it to you later today. There's a short moleben in modern English like my parish uses, and a fuller supplicatory canon with an akathist in traditional English. I'll send both.
What is a moleben?
(07-19-2017, 01:23 PM)In His Love Wrote: [ -> ]What is a moleben?

In the Byzantine rite, it's a service of supplication (the word means "supplication") modeled on Matins (it's really an abbreviation of Matins). In the Greek tradition, it is called Paraklesis, and there are two to the Theotokos, the Greater and Lesser, that are sung on alternate evenings of the Dormition Fast. In the Slavic tradition, the Canon is usually omitted, with just the refrains of the canon being sung; when the full canon is sung, it is called a "Supplicatory Canon" (Молебни канон, Molebni kanon). A moleben or paraklesis can be sung to any saint; one just takes the proper elements from the Menaion and inserts them in the skeleton.

I'm attaching what I put together, a full Supplicatory Canon with the akathist to St. George included. Actually, there are two canons in the Menaion, so both are included and the refrains arranged properly. It is arranged as if celebrated in a Russian parish without a priest, with a Senior Reader, a Reader, and the Choir. And in case anyone is curious, yes, this is in fact an abbreviation of Matins!
(07-19-2017, 01:43 PM)aquinas138 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-19-2017, 01:23 PM)In His Love Wrote: [ -> ]What is a moleben?

In the Byzantine rite, it's a service of supplication (the word means "supplication") modeled on Matins (it's really an abbreviation of Matins). In the Greek tradition, it is called Paraklesis, and there are two to the Theotokos, the Greater and Lesser, that are sung on alternate evenings of the Dormition Fast. In the Slavic tradition, the Canon is usually omitted, with just the refrains of the canon being sung; when the full canon is sung, it is called a "Supplicatory Canon" (Молебни канон, Molebni kanon). A moleben or paraklesis can be sung to any saint; one just takes the proper elements from the Menaion and inserts them in the skeleton.

I'm attaching what I put together, a full Supplicatory Canon with the akathist to St. George included. Actually, there are two canons in the Menaion, so both are included and the refrains arranged properly. It is arranged as if celebrated in a Russian parish without a priest, with a Senior Reader, a Reader, and the Choir. And in case anyone is curious, yes, this is in fact an abbreviation of Matins!
Thank you for the information! Smile