FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: 547 boys were abused at Regensburg Catholic choir school
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Original article: Here

This is all over the German news today. It is interesting for various reasons:

1. The president of the choir during the relevant time was Pope Benedict's elder brother Georg.

2. The bishop who denied and (allegedy) buried the allegations when they surfaced 15 years ago was Cardinal Gerhard Ludwig Müller.

3. It happened in the dioceses I grew up in. Although I did not suffer sexual abuse or something like that, I can confirm the overall atmosphere of physical and psychological violence that was predominant in several conservative parishes in this region  (virtually untouched by Vatican II). Sometimes, we tend to over-idealize the old times.

Quote:At least 547 boys at a German Catholic choir school fell victim to sexual and physical abuse in what some later compared to "prison, hell or a concentration camp", an investigator's report said Tuesday.
The Regensburger Domspatzen ("Cathedral Sparrows"), a 1,000-year-old cathedral choir in Bavaria, was in 2010 dragged into the massive sexual abuse scandal plaguing the Catholic Church in recent years.
Many victims remembered their time in the choir school as "the worst time of their lives, marked by fear, violence and helplessness", said lawyer Ulrich Weber, who was commissioned by the diocese to look into the cases.
Presenting his final report on abuses between 1945 and the early 1990s, Weber said he had uncovered 67 cases of sexual abuse and 500 cases of other physical violence, with some former singers having fallen victim to both.
This more than doubled the 231 reported abuse cases he had uncovered through interviews by January 2016, when he said victims had spoken of rape, sexual assaults, severe beatings and food deprivation.
Weber pointed to a "culture of silence" and placed part of the blame for the situation on the school's former choir master Georg Ratzinger, the elder brother of former pope Benedict.
As head of the choir from 1964 to 1994, Georg Ratzinger could be "blamed for looking the other way and failing to intervene", said Weber.
Georg Ratzinger, 93, has denied knowledge and said that the alleged sexual abuse was "never discussed" while he ran the choir.
Weber said the attacks were concentrated in the primary section of the boarding school in the town of Regensburg.
He said that 49 alleged perpetrators had been identified, but that they were not expected to face criminal charges as the alleged crimes took place too long ago.
The victims are now expected to receive €20,000 each in compensation.
The German scandal is one of several to have rocked the Catholic Church in recent years, notably in Ireland where one priest admitted sexually abusing more than 100 children.
Several German institutions have also been engulfed by the scandal, including an elite Jesuit school in Berlin which had admitted to systematic sexual abuse of pupils by two priests in the 1970s and 1980s.
I think this is just an attempt to discredit Benedict in light of the recent statement that was read at Cd. Meisner's funeral. This is an attempt to make Benedict a pariah in preparation for whatever Francis is planning.
I'm sorry, but certain groups have already made evident the way they want to destroy the Church. I can't take seriously any of these "uncovered cases" or "victims". I just see a bunch of people getting really rich while being directed by some liberal group.

May I label some rtue case as false this way? Sure. I don't care, I know the world too well.
After reading Randy Engle's 3-part expose of sexual abuse in a particular diocese during the 60s and 70s...and the cover-up which included names of current prelates of the Church, I am not surprised by this. The Church had and still has a serious problem with perverts in black. The approach has been appalling.

It's over at AKACatholic. Please read at your own risk; there are gut-wrenching graphic scenes depicted, that is not for the faint of heart.
Q for German fishies: Has Germany gone through the whole 9 yards of sex abuse scandals the way USA, Canada, Britain, Ireland and Australia has?
Wow.

I tend to agree with Credidi Propter; while not right, this is an (another) attempt to discredit BXVI and the Church.  This article mentions boys being slapped, at a time when corporal punishment was still quite common:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/w...story.html

On a related note of slapping, 19 states here in Murica still allow corporal punishment.  Heck, I have a friend who moved to Alabama during high school.  First day of class, he was acting up and got called up to the front of the room to get his "licks."  By no means am I trying to justify hitting a kid, but there seems to be a selective level of indignation.
(07-18-2017, 06:15 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]After reading Randy Engle's 3-part expose of sexual abuse in a particular diocese during the 60s and 70s...and the cover-up which included names of current prelates of the Church, I am not surprised by this. The Church had and still has a serious problem with perverts in black. The approach has been appalling.
It's over at AKACatholic. Please read at your own risk; there are gut-wrenching graphic scenes depicted, that is not for the faint of heart.

I'm on the same page as you on this austenboston. The level of abuse within RC institutions be they boarding schools,parishes or monasteries has been appalling. 

Maybe Joseph Ratzingers brother knew, maybe he didn', although I don't see how you could be the choir director and NOT at least hear some rumors, especially if so many children were being abused.  In every workplace or institution the walls have eyes and ears, and rumors would definitely be going around. 

All I can say is in light of all the abuse that's been exposed I have ZERO trust in the hierarchy and if I were a parent I wouldn't let ANY priest around my children for ANY reason without being present.  Innocence once lost is lost forever. 
(07-19-2017, 07:09 AM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]By no means am I trying to justify hitting a kid

Proverbs 13:24

Quote: if I were a parent I wouldn't let ANY priest around my children for ANY reason without being present.  Innocence once lost is lost forever. 

Statistically, teachers, your own family or even any random person is more likely to abuse your hypothetical children.
(07-19-2017, 07:09 AM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]By no means am I trying to justify hitting a kid

Quote: if I were a parent I wouldn't let ANY priest around my children for ANY reason without being present.  Innocence once lost is lost forever. 

Statistically, teachers, your own family or even any random person is more likely to abuse your hypothetical children.
[/quote]
But is that truly an acceptable rebuttal?

"Sure we have perverts in black, but you know there are more perverts out there statistically...so you can trust us."

There was a time, I feel, when Christians found this so repugnant, that they would chastise anyone making such an argument as being an apologist for such demonic behavior.

Not accusing you of this, certainly not! But I'm just sadden that Catholics do resort to this, instead of demanding, even to the point of threatening violence, that this wickedness be stamped out immediately!

No more World Youth Days, No more jet-setting bishopric conferences, no more parades, or talks, or interviews, or photo-ops until this evil is seriously resolved.

Who am I kidding, if we had real shepherds in our Church, there would have been a dogmatic ecumenical council already, anathematizing these wicked blasphemies, heresies, and evils.

Sorry response turned into another fruitless rant.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
(07-19-2017, 09:21 AM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]

True, but that refers to one's own son.  I have no trouble giving my own kids an open-handed smack on the rear when it's deserved, but I have an issue with someone else smacking my kids.  I'm of the mindset that if my kid acts up, put them in time out, then tell me, and I'll handle it.  Parental responsibility and all. 

Maybe I'm just old school at the ripe old age of 41. :D
Pages: 1 2