FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The writings of Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I read on Catholic Answers Forums that the writings of Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich are not approved by the Church. Does anyone know anything about this? Do you think that the accounts of the life of Our Lady and Our Lord's Passion are accurate? Is it wise to draw from these accounts for personal meditation during the Rosary?
(07-21-2017, 05:19 AM)chaelNZ Wrote: [ -> ]I read on Catholic Answers Forums that the writings of Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich are not approved by the Church. Does anyone know anything about this? Do you think that the accounts of the life of Our Lady and Our Lord's Passion are accurate? Is it wise to draw from these accounts for personal meditation during the Rosary?

The problem is that everything we know about her visions was written down by Clemens Brentano and what he published differs in many cases from his original notes. So you have to take everything with a grain of salt, as you never know if you are reading Bl. Anne's words or those of Brentano.

But I don't think it would be hamrful to use these books as a guideline for meditation, just as it is not harmful to use any painting for meditation, even if the painter was not a saint himself.

However, if you want to read a visionary whose works have been approved by various Popes and saints (not the least of all St. Louis de Montfort), read Ven. Mary of Agreda's "Mystical City of God".
Wow. Well said Josef. It has also been alleged that the writer was a protestant. Where can I find information about the notes being different from his final draft. 

I also think highly of Maria de Agreda's work. Her work was approved by all the major Universities in Europe except the Sorbonne that was noted at the time for its Jansenism.
(07-21-2017, 10:36 AM)Texas Wrote: [ -> ]Wow. Well said Josef. It has also been alleged that the writer was a protestant. Where can I find information about the notes being different from his final draft. 

I could only give you German sources. One researcher (Winfried Hümpfner) proved in the 1920s that Brentano used external sources (legends and traditions) to adjust and complement the original visions.
Much of what St Catherine Emerich said was beautful and good. Any revelations that would purport to come from her woudl be in the category of private revelations and should be treated as such.
MichaelNZ  For the past few weeks I have been re-reading from Volumes I and II of Blessed Anne Catherine.  It is astounding how it all relates to our times.  I, too, have heard criticisms, and have the same question as you in regard to the books.  Still, I love reading it.   I don't read anything at Catholic Answers anymore.  I learned a lot there and then got tired of the Protestantism and the arguing about everything.
(07-23-2017, 08:03 AM)Jeanannemarie Wrote: [ -> ]MichaelNZ  For the past few weeks I have been re-reading from Volumes I and II of Blessed Anne Catherine.  It is astounding how it all relates to our times.  I, too, have heard criticisms, and have the same question as you in regard to the books.  Still, I love reading it.   I don't read anything at Catholic Answers anymore.  I learned a lot there and then got tired of the Protestantism and the arguing about everything.

Catherine wrote:      'I saw these false computations of the pagan priests at the same time as I beheld Jesus Christ teaching on the Sabbath at Aruma. Jesus, speaking before the Pharisees of the Call of Abraham and his sojourn in Egypt, exposed the errors of the Egyptian calendar. He told them that the world had now existed 4028 years. When I heard Jesus say this, He was Himself thirty-one years old.’

Katarina’s age for Jesus Christ is the exactly the same as found in the Scriptures: Adam 5 days, Noah and the flood 1056 years (2941 BC), Abraham 1950 after creation (AC), Exodus 2540AC, birth of Jesus 3997Ac, death of Jesus 4030AC at 33 years, fall of Jerusalem 4070AC, world on 2000 AD was 5997 years old, 2003 years  after Christ was the year 6,000AC, today 6,013 years and so on.
While there may have been some embellishment in her writings, I still think that Emmerich was clearly a very holy woman and did indeed have visions. To my knowledge the Church has never condemned her writings and I think that if you want to use them for devotional purposes then do so but remember that they should be taken with a grain of salt regarding their historicity.
I've read the Dolorous Passion of Jesus Christ and thought it was an amazing book. However, for some reason I couldn't get myself into the book about the life of Mother Mary and eventually took that as a sign to myself to drop that one.

I believe the movie Passion of Christ is based on her book about the passion.