FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Latin Act of Contrition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone on FishEaters say an Act of Contrition in Latin during Confession? I'm just trying to decide whether or not I should try to say it Latin the next time I go to Confession...
(07-22-2017, 05:52 PM)LaudeturIesus Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone on FishEaters say an Act of Contrition in Latin during Confession? I'm just trying to decide whether or not I should try to say it Latin the next time I go to Confession...

I wouldn't... I would just focus on making a good and thorough confession.
If you truly understand Latin and you know that the priest does, it could make sense. However, if you don't know what you are saying and are just sounding out syllables without knowing the meaning of the words I'd say it would be a bad idea. The act of contrition contains a series of promises made to the priest and to God, I think it would be best to know what you are promising to aid in really taking the words and their meaning to heart.
Whilst I say many prayers in Latin, the Pater, Ave, Gloria, Credo, parts of the Office, etc., I would never use Latin for the Act of Contrition, either in the Confessional or in private prayer. If I ever reach the point of thinking in Latin (LOL!) and I know the Priest is fluent, I might consider it, but until then, I want God to know I'm contrite and not just parroting words.
The purpose of the Act of Contrition is so the priest can make sure you at least have imperfect contrition (attrition) for your sins at the moment of absolution. It is not an essential part of the rite, and if the priest knows your sorrow for your sins, he could allow you to omit it.

As a result you are meant to say it, meaning every word of it. I suspect for most Latin probably isn't about saying and meaning it, but being "traditional" and probably it would not be said from the heart but in a formal "liturgical" manner. That's not the point of it, so I would suggest not to do that, but recite it in your own language.

Also, there is not one standard form for the Act of Contrition. There is a common US version since the Council of Baltimore (via the Baltimore Catechism), but if you go to other English-speaking countries, or even other parts of the US, you will find alternate forms. So practically, if you were to want a Latin form, how would you choose the "correct" form for your translation.

In short, keep your confessions simple, straightforward, honest and be open to the priest in whatever way you can. Methinks, however, that's probably not done by incorporating a Latin translation of your Act of Contrition.
Ok. I was just asking cuz on the FishEaters page about the Sacrament of Penance that it recommends saying the Act of Contrition in Latin.
What the FE page on Confession actually says is:

Quote:If you are comfortable doing so, you may say the prayer in Latin:
What I think we're all saying is that we would not be comfortable saying it in Latin. As I said, If I thought in Latin and my Confessor was a Latin scholar, maybe. But otherwise, I definitely wouldn't be comfortable saying it in Latin.
(07-23-2017, 03:12 PM)LaudeturIesus Wrote: [ -> ]Ok. I was just asking cuz on the FishEaters page about the Sacrament of Penance that it recommends saying the Act of Contrition in Latin.

No worries.

The Latin formula provided is the translation into Latin of the English form given in the Baltimore Catechism. It is not an official formula as such.

While there is nothing wrong, in itself, I think most priests would not recommend you say your act of Contrition in your own first language as they have to make sure you are sorry for your sins, and part of that is knowing that you understand what you are saying.

If you speak Latin fluently (most traditional priests don't) then by all means do whatever helps engender more sorrow for sins, otherwise I would stick to your vernacular.
Yeah, I'll just stick with the vernacular. I normally use the traditional English form of the Act of Contrition from the FishEaters page anyway.