FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Singing at a Novus Ordo Mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Inspired by the following video, I've been trying to be more reverent in my bad Novus Ordo parish:

I have two questions about singing at a Novus Ordo mass. The first one, -and I assume that this one is okay, but I just want to make sure- is just not singing the hymns, I just can't sing them, not even the passable ones, because the music there is just so bad, I rather just meditate, is that okay?

The second one, has to do with the Gloria and the Sanctus, when we sing the Gloria and the Sanctus, I try to sing them in a more reverent tone, and that results in me singing out of harmony with the other parishioners, is that acceptable?
You have no obligation to sing anything at Mass, it is encouraged, but in these weird times when the music at Mass is often very irreverent, it is often a better idea to simply pray silently, whatever increases your devotion.
To your second question, if your more reverent tone causes disharmony, it would probably be a good idea to refrain from that. If what you are doing truly sounds bad, then other people will easily be distracted and put off from the Mass, despite your good intentions!
I have two questions about singing at a Novus Ordo mass. The first one, -and I assume that this one is okay, but I just want to make sure- is just not singing the hymns, I just can't sing them, not even the passable ones, because the music there is just so bad, I rather just meditate, is that okay?

The above reminds me of a story. Recently one of the priests was trying to get teh people to sing at mass. He said, "St. Ambrose said, 'He who sings prays twice.'" But then he looked right at me and said, "Poche, in your case silence is still golden." 
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
The second one, has to do with the Gloria and the Sanctus, when we sing the Gloria and the Sanctus, I try to sing them in a more reverent tone, and that results in me singing out of harmony with the other parishioners, is that acceptable?

With reference to the above, you will grow in holiness better if you sing in harmony with the choir and the parishoners than against them.