FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Orthodox Church of Puerto Rico enters into communion with the Catholic Church
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This happened pretty recently. Deo Gratias! :)

“This news comes from Puerto Rico:
June 10, 2017 the Pan Orthodox of St. Spyridon in Trujillo Alto, PR community were received into the Catholic Church as a Greco Catholic Byzantine community under the “Omophorion” (jurisdiction) of the Latin Archbishop, Metropolitan Roberto González, O.F.M.

The welcome ceremony was presided over by the Vicar General of the Archdiocese, father Alberto Figueroa Morales on behalf of the Archbishop. The priests and parishioners made the profession of faith and during the liturgy were commemorated the Supreme Pontiff, Francisco and metropolitan Robert.

This makes the community of San Espiridión the first Eastern Catholic in Puerto Rico community. Welcome to the priests and parishioners of San Espiridión to the Catholic Church. They will continue celebrating the Divine Liturgy and sacred mysteries according to the Byzantine tradition. The continuous liturgy in the Church Slavonic language, English and Spanish… following the liturgical calendar Julian (old calendar).

The community was under the authority of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople (Istanbul). Now it has been under the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of San Juan of Puerto Rico. Probably then pass to belong to any of the Slavonic Byzantine Eastern Catholic churches, although they continue to remain under the local Latin metropolitan authority.
[Image: img_9318.jpg?w=640&h=960][Image: img_9319.jpg?w=640]
View of the Temple of Saint Spyridon.
[Image: img_9317.jpg?w=640]
The Vicar General of the Archdiocese, Fr. Alberto Figueroa Morales, to bless the new community greco Catholic in San Juan after having received the profession of faith of them.
[Image: img_9316.jpg?w=640&h=960]
Peter DiLeo explains the Community agreement document
between the Archdiocese and the community of San Espiridión.The Archimandrite chaired the first Divine Liturgy as a Greek Catholic community.
The Church was built in the 1930s on the grounds of the old leper, in Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico. The brothers missionaries Orthodox St. Peter of Cetinje brought this mission to the islands of the Caribbean from the Archdiocese of Mexico of the Greek Orthodox Church in the diaspora and to evangelize new believers.”
[Image: img_9315.jpg?w=438&h=292&crop&ssl=1]
[Image: img_9314.jpg?w=194&h=292&crop&ssl=1]
Credits to:
http://saeculorumvalue.blogspot.com.ar/2...n.html?m=1

https://holysynergy.wordpress.com/2017/0...ic-church/
This is fascinating. Why would there be an Orthodox Church in Puerto Rico at all, and why would this Church decide to break communion with the Orthodox to enter into communion with the RCC and under a Latin Rite bishop no less? What swayed them to make this momentous choice? Were they affiliated with a real Orthodox Church? What's the likelihood that they lose their Byzantine identity after being under the thumb of modern Rome?

Anything else's about who these people are and what led to this I suppose appreciated.
(08-12-2017, 02:11 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]This is fascinating. Why would there be an Orthodox Church in Puerto Rico at all, and why would this Church decide to break communion with the Orthodox to enter into communion with the RCC and under a Latin Rite bishop no less? What swayed them to make this momentous choice? Were they affiliated with a real Orthodox Church? What's the likelihood that they lose their Byzantine identity after being under the thumb of modern Rome?

Anything else's about who these people are and what led to this I suppose appreciated.

Yes, it is fascinating.  And a little weird, imnsho. 

I did a quick search on google for it, and found this site: https://holysynergy.wordpress.com/2017/0...ic-church/

There were a number of comments, the most interesting of which I thought was this one:

Deacon Timothy Woods
“The community was under the authority of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople (Istanbul). Now it has been under the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of San Juan of Puerto Rico. Probably then pass to belong to any of the Slavonic Byzantine Eastern Catholic churches, although they continue to remain under the local Latin metropolitan authority.”
How does this work, canonically? So this church will eventually be part of a Slavonic Byzantine Eprarchy, while also STILL being “under” the local Latin Metropolitan???

Turns out that St. Spyridon started life around 1995 as a mission parish.  I really couldn't find out much more than that, unfortunately, especially any kind of discussion about why they broke ranks with Orthodoxy and entered into communion with Rome.

I did a quick search on an Orthodox discussion board that yielded nothing about this.  Maybe I didn't look deep enough...
This is going to piss people off again, but these Eastern or Oriental Orthodox rite churches who go into communion with Rome are just not intellectually honest. The Vatican must offer them some pretty strong incentives to declare their fidelity to Rome because it just makes no sense. To be in communion with Rome means you assent to every dogma of the Roman Catholic Church. I listened to an interview with a Byzantine Rite Catholic Priest and the guy says he does not believe in the Immaculate Conception, he does not believe in purgatory, he does not say the filioque in the Nicene Creed. And yet, he is in communion with Rome. It is deeply cynical. It is just some kind of way for the Vatican to extend its influence by setting up Potemkin Villages all over Eastern Europe for people to fall for. The Vatican magically ignores the fact that they believe a different theology and have a different Creed (but curiously does not allow the SSPX to do the same), just so they can extend their imperium into Eastern Europe and the Middle East. If you don't accept Catholic dogma, you're not in communion with Rome. Period.
(08-13-2017, 04:52 AM)Pacman Wrote: [ -> ]This is going to piss people off again, but these Eastern or Oriental Orthodox rite churches who go into communion with Rome are just not intellectually honest. The Vatican must offer them some pretty strong incentives to declare their fidelity to Rome because it just makes no sense. To be in communion with Rome means you assent to every dogma of the Roman Catholic Church. I listened to an interview with a Byzantine Rite Catholic Priest and the guy says he does not believe in the Immaculate Conception, he does not believe in purgatory, he does not say the filioque in the Nicene Creed. And yet, he is in communion with Rome. It is deeply cynical. It is just some kind of way for the Vatican to extend its influence by setting up Potemkin Villages all over Eastern Europe for people to fall for. The Vatican magically ignores the fact that they believe a different theology and have a different Creed (but curiously does not allow the SSPX to do the same), just so they can extend their imperium into Eastern Europe and the Middle East. If you don't accept Catholic dogma, you're not in communion with Rome. Period.

There has to be something more to it than that.  The Orthodox aren't exactly tearing down the doors trying to get into the Catholic Church.  They're quite happy to stay separated until Rome comes around, on their terms.  I think this has to be because the parish wanted it, for whatever reason.  If they were all converts from Catholicism, maybe they realized the grass wasn't so green in Orthodoxy and decided to come home, but keep the spirituality.  

Regarding canonicity, what will probably happen is that the parish will get a 'spiritual adoption' by one of the Byzantine eparchies, and if that relationship works well, it gets transferred.  If any of the parishioners were Roman Catholic at that time, they'll probably get transferred along with the parish if they request it.
(08-13-2017, 04:52 AM)Pacman Wrote: [ -> ]This is going to piss people off again, but these Eastern or Oriental Orthodox rite churches who go into communion with Rome are just not intellectually honest. The Vatican must offer them some pretty strong incentives to declare their fidelity to Rome because it just makes no sense. To be in communion with Rome means you assent to every dogma of the Roman Catholic Church. I listened to an interview with a Byzantine Rite Catholic Priest and the guy says he does not believe in the Immaculate Conception, he does not believe in purgatory, he does not say the filioque in the Nicene Creed. And yet, he is in communion with Rome. It is deeply cynical. It is just some kind of way for the Vatican to extend its influence by setting up Potemkin Villages all over Eastern Europe for people to fall for. The Vatican magically ignores the fact that they believe a different theology and have a different Creed (but curiously does not allow the SSPX to do the same), just so they can extend their imperium into Eastern Europe and the Middle East. If you don't accept Catholic dogma, you're not in communion with Rome. Period.

What a jaded opinion indeed. You can have a "different" theology inside the united Catholic church, just because unfortunately nearly everything in the past 500 years has been expressed in a scholastic manner does not mean that scholasticism is the sole theology of the Church. It has been dominant for centuries, but it is wrong to say that just because someone does not express their belief in that way that they do not truly accept Catholic dogma, as you claim the eastern Catholic churches are guilty of.

Concerning the immaculate conception that priest (if he really said what you say) is in error. The eastern churches themselves do not reject this dogma. And if the Orthodox weren't so viciously anti-Latin as they have recently become I doubt it would cause a great deal of contention.

Purgatory, as a doctrine has some more flexibility than you may think, it does not have to be believed in only the common Latin formulations of the last centuries. I can almost guarantee that Byzantine Priest believes in a process of purification before entering heaven. There is the essential dogma and then there is speculation and pious devotion.

As for reciting the creed without the filioque, doing so cannot be a contradiction to Catholicism since this is how the creed was originally rendered, in the Catholic church. The Church does not claim that the Fathers of Nicaea and Constantinople were wrong.
Isn't it exactly what Rome does regarding the Filioque, that basically if you are eastern you can pray the creed without it,  as long as you understand it in a Latin way, that is to say with some room for a dual procession of the Spirit from the Father and the Son?

At least how I understand things eastern Catholics can have most of the spirituality of the East but by default they MUST accept papal infallibility, some form of dual procession of the Spirit and the immaculate conception as formulated by Pius XII?

In all fairness though the Orthodox treat their western rite about the same, requiring an epiclesis at the consecration and basically allowing for people to keep western traditions as long as they see them through the lens of Byzantium only. 

As much as I do not care for the Filioque and refuse to pray the creed with it it is well attested amongst many in the early Latin Church fathers even if it was never part of the creed of Constantinople or Nicea. 

I agree that some form of purgation after death is part of the eastern teaching, they just don't use scholastic terminology to explain it. 

Honestly the biggest issue between Rome and Byzantium/Moscow is the papacy, period, close the book.  The papacy and how much or little power it has is everything.  The filioque,purgatory or the sinlessness of Mary are probably easily overcome, but the papacy is not. 

That's the biggest thing in my book, and when you look at how much damage the papacy has done to the tradition of the Latin Rite over the last hundred years or so I'd be extra cautious if I were an eastern group going under the power of the pope and the Latin Rite bishops, few of which are orthodox Catholics in any sense.
Deo gratias; the more the merrier!
(08-13-2017, 12:52 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]...

Honestly the biggest issue between Rome and Byzantium/Moscow is the papacy, period, close the book.  The papacy and how much or little power it has is everything.  The filioque,purgatory or the sinlessness of Mary are probably easily overcome, but the papacy is not. 

That's the biggest thing in my book, and when you look at how much damage the papacy has done to the tradition of the Latin Rite over the last hundred years or so I'd be extra cautious if I were an eastern group going under the power of the pope and the Latin Rite bishops, few of which are orthodox Catholics in any sense.

It is indeed about the papacy. If Roman Catholic doctrine on the papacy is true, then the Roman formulations cannot be heretical, so submit and fall in line on these topics. If Roman Catholic doctrine on the papacy is not true, they are correct to remain separated from Rome. It is ultimately that simple.

I don't think the particular priest you listened to speaks for all Byzantine Catholic priests. I certainly know clergy who absolutely affirm the Roman doctrines. I also know some who would say that the Roman formulations don't really make sense in the Byzantine context, given a different understanding of the effects of original sin, but they don't deny them outright. It's a complex phenomenon.
Pages: 1 2